Absurd in Branson, Mo.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Invited to vacation in Branson on a timeshare, I naturally check for the local detecting laws and discover the law starts off being agreeable, then quickly turn absurd. :icon_scratch:

1464069037647.jpg

I'm going to start cutting all my flaps only with an 8" screwdriver from here on out! Let's go dig some deep whispers....yeah.

Think I'll go to Colorado and Wyoming instead.

Attachments

• Scrapbook_1464068131518.png
    Scrapbook_1464068131518.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 323

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get a long probe (blunt point) for locating your find, then
open a cut in the grass and work the item up with a rubber
coated screwdriver.

Yeah..it's a pita.

The folks in Branson clearly put a lot of thought into writing those
regulations, and while I disagree on the recovery methods, they
didn't just put a blanket ban on detecting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That's hilarious . Hey, I can get VERY deep with nothing but an 8" screwdriver, if I put my mind to it, haha

Did you notice that a lot of that phraseology is taken STRAIGHT from the playbook of metal detectorist' jargon. As if some md'r helped draft that. I wonder what the origins of that was ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Also this becomes a case-in-point for another truth involving any "permits" or "express allowances" for our hobby:

While, on the surface, it SEEMS like a good idea to have a permit system, or an express allowance (versus silent on the subject). Right ? Because then it seems like you'll have a carte blanche to detect nilly willy, right ? But as this example shows, they are ALWAYS riddled with silly restrictions. Like the length of digger. Or "not with 20 ft. of any tree". Or "on sandy beaches only", etc....

Heck, what if I WANT to detect on the infields? Or the athletic fields? Seems better that/if it were silent on the issue.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
That's hilarious . Hey, I can get VERY deep with nothing but an 8" screwdriver, if I put my mind to it, haha

Did you notice that a lot of that phraseology is taken STRAIGHT from the playbook of metal detectorist' jargon. As if some md'r helped draft that. I wonder what the origins of that was ?

Yeah, and I can fell a tree with a butter knife too, if I put my mind to it. :tongue3:

I felt like I'm being held to a higher standard than a disc golfer, or a few people with a football, or kite flyers. I don't have to be an ambassador for :censored:

I've actually had people drop a kite line on my back while retrieving a target. Crashed their kite 3 feet from my hands. Think I was diplomatic about that? :cussing:

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck, what if I WANT to detect on the infields? Or the athletic fields? Seems better that/if it were silent on the issue.

I guess I'm spoiled having no rules or regulations concerning MDing except on the State level.

County, City.... nobody gives a crap as long as you fill your hole in. Sports fields.... nobody cares whatsoever if you are clean about it. Cops take lunch and watch me while they eat. Watching me digging with a sampson in public park... nobody cares. Parks director watched me once while supervising a project. I head straight towards him digging with sampson along the way. We talked about 10 minutes - does not care. More worried about actual vandalism by low-lifes and kids. Thanks me for picking up surface trash.

Maybe these are my good old days. :dontknow:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm spoiled having no rules or regulations concerning MDing except on the State level.

County, City.... nobody gives a crap as long as you fill your hole in. Sports fields.... nobody cares whatsoever if you are clean about it. Cops take lunch and watch me while they eat. Watching me digging with a sampson in public park... nobody cares. Parks director watched me once while supervising a project. I head straight towards him digging with sampson along the way. We talked about 10 minutes - does not care. More worried about actual vandalism by low-lifes and kids. Thanks me for picking up surface trash.

Maybe these are my good old days. :dontknow:
I can almost guaranty that if others in your area start leaving open holes, their attitude (and laws) will change in an instant. All it takes is a few inconsiderate knuckleheads to ruin it for the rest of us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions