PARK DETECTING ? - State By State Park rules and regs - Check before you detect.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great info! Thank you for posting :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that this concerns State Parks ONLY. Even then, this info was gleaned by e-mail to and from park headquarters.....not from actual written code. Naturally, we assume the park headquarters gave out accurate info, but, I'd look it up myself to see. There are some State Parks, which have sandy beaches, where they don't care if you detect or not, regardless of posted rules. A little local knowledge can help in these situations. I'm sure Tom will be here to comment shortly! :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for the introduction Mark, ha :)

That list was a noble idea. A compendium that all-you-need-to-do, is look at the list, removing guess work, asking, etc... Right ? And the way that list was compiled, was the same way that the book "Treasure laws of the United States" (by R.W.Doc Grim) was done: They just asked the powers-that-be: "What are your rules regarding such & such?". And/or had taken the info from previously compiled lists that started in that way.

A genius idea, right ? I mean, who better to ask, than the top park's spokespeople themselves afterall, eh ?

But strange answers arose. Like some would say "it's not allowed". But when/if they cited their sources to backup such answers, it was sometimes odd-ball things like cultural heritage, disturb/alter, take/remove, etc.... And some of the dire-sounding states were ....... prior to that, just open game (barring obvious historic monuments). So you had old-timers scratching their heads saying "since when?"

It was obvious cases of officials receiving this inquiry, who .... gave the "safe answer" routine.

Yes, admittedly some of them have actual and true specific rules that say "no detecting", or perhaps allowances, permits, or "beach only" etc.... But multiple others are silent on the subject. So the "pat answer" might have been "inquire at each kiosk you come to". Yet when you click on the state's name to get the detailed version of the law, you see no such requirement that md'rs are required to grovel at each kiosk they come to.

So if someone's going to use that list, I would click on the detailed back-up verbiage that is provided. And unless it specifically said "no detecting", then I would go. Oh sure, don't snoop around obvious historic monuments is all.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I didn't want to steal your thunder! :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That's 2002 ??

ok, sure. And guess what will happen when other people make that same observation ? THEY TOO will wonder "is this current?" And so off-they-will trot to parade this "pressing question" in front of archie's and bored desk-bound bureaucrats.

See the self-fulfilling vicious circle at play here ?

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great compilation - thanks for sharing!

Sounds like I should make a trip up to NH or RI next time I'm in the northeast ;-)

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
So in reading these rules it looks like I can detect on Lake Lahontan in Nevada as long as I get permission first? Why do I feel like I would not have much luck getting that permission? I want to detect an old stage station that is usually under the water but comes above the water line in the fall and early spring. I also want to detect the emigrant trail in the 40 mile desert, East and North of Ragtown. Not sure if that is even covered.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
So in reading these rules it looks like I can detect on Lake Lahontan in Nevada as long as I get permission first? Why do I feel like I would not have much luck getting that permission? I want to detect an old stage station that is usually under the water but comes above the water line in the fall and early spring. I also want to detect the emigrant trail in the 40 mile desert, East and North of Ragtown. Not sure if that is even covered.

diver-rick, I know the stage stop that you speak of. A buddy and I looked into it too. But we could not deduce the exact location. Other than generalities like "on the north side of the river", or whatever. Have you found a more precise location ? That reservoir is miles long afterall. And yes, now at historic lows. So we mused that it might be on dry ground. But at that point sort of dropped the research so far.

As far as the rules for there , as you can see, it's in actual code that it's "with permit" (or "permission", etc....). But I can guarantee you that you can ask till you're blue in the face, and you'll never get permission at their historically themed parks ( Berlin-Ichthyosaur, etc....). And notice that the "commentary" that accompanies that , uses the word "may" be needed at others (that have no historic theme). That doesn't sound very "mandatory" to me !! So if you ask me, I'd just go. I mean, no need to overthink this. Just stay clear of the obvious historic monuments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread