ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Offered you three what ?

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Offered me three plea deals.

1. Plead guilty to two charges one dismissed REFUSED

2. Plead guilty to swimming in a prohibited area. Dismiss the other two. REFUSED

3. Plead to one charge, if a good boy for three months charge dismissed as well as the other two dismissed. REFUSED

I was READY for a trial.

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
***********UPDATE**************

Court was today. The officer showed up and they wanted me to make a plea deal. OFFERED me THREE. I turned down all three. Judge dismissed all charges. Not only that BUT

I WILL be able to dive in the Detroit river. They cannot stop me.

END OF STORY!!!!

Good for you. I grew up on Grosse Ile, an island in the Downriver Detroit area. There are many small islalnds around there. You used to just go off a boat and explore or scuba on those islands when I was young. Nobody cared. Then everything changed. Now, only the police and other people in authority can go there. Also, after 9/11, things became ridiculous. Before 9/11, we used to boat over to Canada to get something to eat. When we arrived in Canada, all we had to do was call at the restauant and say how many of us were in Canada, and the Canadian official we were talking to would say have a good time. Now, you need a passport. Also, you see these guys in a huge Homeland Security SUV driving around Grosse Ile burning gas and generally wasting taxpayer money. Complete nonsense. The Old Days were the Good Days.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you! It drives me crazy how people in "Authority" think they can be above the law. Its not just law enforcement either, I see it all the time with people in management positions that think the rules only apply when convenient, ya I work for the Government!

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Court was today. The officer showed up and they wanted me to make a plea deal. OFFERED me THREE. I turned down all three. Judge dismissed all charges. Not only that BUT

END OF STORY!!!!

Glad to hear this Scuba. Sometimes thye like to just throw stuff out thewre and see if it will stick. Whe n you actally show up in court and are prepared to make them do thier job then they get all worried and toss them out. Good job sticking to your guns.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Congratz. Too bad you couldn't have just avoided that singular busy-body. But since he saw you, and made a stink, glad you were the one to come out on the top of that.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if I agree there is nothing they can do to stop you, but congrats on escaping any penalty.

Am looking forward to the 2017 water detecting season.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Not sure if I agree there is nothing they can do to stop you, but congrats on escaping any penalty.

Am looking forward to the 2017 water detecting season.

Doug, that is gospel. They CAN stop others but not me. They might try again but they will fail. I am going back with the law on my side.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug, that is gospel. They CAN stop others but not me. They might try again but they will fail. I am going back with the law on my side.

Np precedent was set, don't kid yourself - Next judge may not be so accommodating.
If the law was truly on your side then everyone and their grandmothers too could go out diving in the river, law rarely provides exceptions for certain private individuals. If you think you have some caveat to dive at will, I'd get that in writing.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Doug, I won't argue. I know what is going on and I refuse to let the people that ridiculed me know what is going on. No judge will convict me. I am 100% positive on that.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

END OF STORY!!!!

So after you refused each plea deal did the judge then hear from them and then you? Guess you presented your side very well!

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
So after you refused each plea deal did the judge then hear from them and then you? Guess you presented your side very well!

Ron,

What happened is after I refused each deal we went before the judge. The prosecutor wanted to continue the case to get the sheriff officers there. For a reason she did not say they were not subpoenaed. Only the Detroit Police officer that wrote the tickets was there . The judge asked what I was charged with. The charges were:

Swimming in a prohibited area, a city ordinance
Disorderly conduct, a city ordinance
Diving without a flag, a city ordinance

The judge immediately said dismissed. And that was all that happened. The charges were dismissed so fast it shocked me. So no I did not get to present my case. Plea deals are for people that are scared to let a judge decide guilt or innocence. They used them all the time when I was a cop.

The laws are clear and none were broken by me. I totally refuse to let the people that attacked me on here know everything I discovered in my quest for justice. I also have the green light to go back and enjoy diving in that spot.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am not trying to be argumentative, just voicing my opinion.

I was wrong on the outcome, maybe I'm wrong here too only time will tell. Chances are I may bump into you there, I'll yank your rope if I see a SWAT team coming for ya !

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Good for you, my friend. Next time, get it in writing. Good hunting and good luck.

It is in writing. I am allowed to dive there. If anyone else does they are breaking the law, if they are not with me. Set in stone, signed sealed and delivered.

IF another law enforcement agency TRIES to bully me, I have every intention to have my paperwork laminated so I can have it with me on my dives. If not on my person it will be in my truck.

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The judge dismissed the case because you are basically cleaning up the environment. As a kid I used to collect soda bottles for the deposit. Thank God common sense ruled.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"EVERYONE on here deserves to follow the rules as they understand them without ridicule or condemnation..."
I find this part disturbing especially coming from a former LEO. That's not how the law works. And while I am sorry for the loss you suffered at the hands of a drunk driver, at the same time applauding your desire to rid the streets of these vermin, I find it appalling that you allowed your personal feelings to dictate your demeanor and cloud your judgement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread