Keeping prospectors off my claims.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got some placer claims in Rye Patch, Nevada.

Because Rye Patch is a popular place to hunt gold nuggets I do have concerns about prospectors coming onto my claims.

There's only a couple of dirt roads into the area.

I could make up some signs that say "Active Claims - No Prospecting".

It's BLM land so of course they have the right to use the land but just not prospect on it.

How do handle this type of issue? I don't live close.

Is it just the cost of doing business or do I step up the security measures??

Thanks.

Put a phone number to call for permission / lease deal on a sign, most people aren't trying to claim jump.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did some claim jumping once. My wife and kids use to go with me panning on a small Creek that I grew up next to. We would just go there to relax and let the kids play.
One year we all went back and the small portion of stream we panned in was under claim. Somebody went in the creek with a 6 inch dredge and literally rerouted the flow of the water in the creek from all the suction. The bank we stood on had collapsed from the suction dredge undercutting the bank.
Needless to say I had no qualms that day about panning there with my family.
Come to find out yrs later that dredging was outlawed in that state and for good reason.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I did some claim jumping once. My wife and kids use to go with me panning on a small Creek that I grew up next to. We would just go there to relax and let the kids play.
One year we all went back and the small portion of stream we panned in was under claim. Somebody went in the creek with a 6 inch dredge and literally rerouted the flow of the water in the creek from all the suction. The bank we stood on had collapsed from the suction dredge undercutting the bank.
Needless to say I had no qualms that day about panning there with my family.
Come to find out yrs later that dredging was outlawed in that state and for good reason.

That's like saying that all cars will be banned because of a drunk driver who caused an accident. It makes no sense. You're punishing the whole of society for the irresponsible actions of a few.

In addition, if the area was under claim and properly marked, then you shouldn't have been panning there - as you already know.

More fault for a potential problem lies on the dredger for undercutting the bank, but there was obviously fault on both parts.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's like saying that all cars will be banned because of a drunk driver who caused an accident. It makes no sense. You're punishing the whole of society for the irresponsible actions of a few.

In addition, if the area was under claim and properly marked, then you shouldn't have been panning there - as you already know.

More fault for a potential problem lies on the dredger for undercutting the bank, but there was obviously fault on both parts.

Oh yes, I know two wrongs don't make a right, my beef was solely towards the distruction of the stream, I mean, come on, I'm guessing he may have gotten an oz in this one section and to be so destructive, shows disrespect and taking advantage. This area had never been under claim it was a place that everyone could enjoy. Not for just one person's greed.
I'm not a liberal tree hugger I hunt, fish and eat meat but I respect the land I use. I could see if the whole entire area had looked the same and under claim for years but this place wasn't, it had been untouched except for panning and that was my point. Dredging should have been outlawed.
I don't condone claim jumping.
I just enjoy being in the outdoors walking around with a MD

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yes, I know two wrongs don't make a right, my beef was solely towards the distruction of the stream, I mean, come on, I'm guessing he may have gotten an oz in this one section and to be so destructive, shows disrespect and taking advantage. This area had never been under claim it was a place that everyone could enjoy. Not for just one person's greed.
I'm not a liberal tree hugger I hunt, fish and eat meat but I respect the land I use. I could see if the whole entire area had looked the same and under claim for years but this place wasn't, it had been untouched except for panning and that was my point. Dredging should have been outlawed.

Yep, gotta agree. The greed (and carelessness) of a few ruin things for the rest who don't cause harm.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Signage, signage and then put up a few more signs! I'm not up on Nevada mining laws (yet) but here in AridZona, claims are required to be marked by law. Corner posts should have signs with the magnetic bearing and distance to the next corner or turn of the border (AridZona requires a post at every location that the claim border changes direction) and the location monument is required to have a map posted with the layout of the claim and contact information for the owner.

Most legitimate prospectors will stay off of claimed land but there are always those that don't give a hoot if an area is claimed or not. A lot of the problems come from newbies that don't know the laws and are under the impression that they can dig anywhere they want. This includes lands both public and private. Signs are available from most mining supply companies that make it pretty darn clear that prospecting of any type is prohibited on claimed ground and a "No Trespassing" sign on private land can also help. It's a sad truth that some people don't care but once they've been charged with Mineral Trespass, they will usually get the message.

I wish you luck in protecting your claim. Since it's in a rather famous area, you're going to have a much harder time in keeping the yahoos out of it than if it was in the middle of nowhere with tough access.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a caution land mines signs make it look like the federal goverments How about (Homeland Security Force) United States of America with your phone number when they call asking say you dog shits alot.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Destruction? What was destroyed? River banks get undercut and rivers change their course all the time. What difference does it make if a dredge does the same thing? :icon_scratch:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Destruction? What was destroyed? River banks get undercut and rivers change their course all the time. What difference does it make if a dredge does the same thing? :icon_scratch:

According to enviro-nuts, everything! If Ma Nature does something, it's considered an act of God. If a prospector does the same thing (even if on a HUGELY smaller scale), it's called destruction.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would make a billboard with a sheet of4×8 plywood and a couple of posts.
Maybe paint it white. On one half of the plywood put all your legal info and the other draw the layout of the claim. Enter the location of the Billboard on the layout drawing with the letter X saying "you are here" and from that point enter the demisions of the property so there is no mistaking. And of course put post at all corners. And more billboards if you wish. Than write it off on your taxes. Lol

Last edited:

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

That's like saying "we might as well cut down all the trees in Yellowstone and use for firewood because next fire season they will all burn anyway.
Oh yes, we might as well shoot all the animals too be cause they'll all die in the fire with the trees

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's like saying "we might as well cut down all the trees in Yellowstone and use for firewood because next fire season they will all burn anyway.
Oh yes, we might as well shoot all the animals too be cause they'll all die in the fire with the trees

Hey, do you know something that WE don't know?!?!? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just ordered 4 large metal signs that say "Active Mining Claims - No Prospecting" and 4 signs that indicate the claims are under remote video surveillance.

We are taking mineral trespassing very seriously.

We will not tolerate anyone violating our right to stake a claim and protect it.

This is a work in progress and over time we will keep beefing up our defenses.

You guys have helped a lot! Thanks!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Put up some "Gold Claim For Sale" signs and state that there ain't much Gold but a nice place to camp once you kill all the Rattlesnakes, Cougars and Claim Jumpers.:dontknow::laughing7:

Frank

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Then read the story in a local newspaper "Security Guard Steals Gold from Employer's Gold Claim and Gets Away with it". Hypothetical but highly likely!

Frank

I dunno - kinda had someone in mind for the job already. I've never met the guy, but from what I understand he used to be in the Army. I think he goes by the name Frank. :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a good analogy. The dredge isn't destroying anything.....just rearranging things. No different from what the natural course of a river will do.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd go with the signs and maybe offer free access as long as there is NO prospecting, digging or metal detecting.
Indicate the land is set aside for the endangered, Great NE Arizona, Desert Horned Toad! Protected and patrolled by BLM. Lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions