Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got some placer claims in Rye Patch, Nevada.

Because Rye Patch is a popular place to hunt gold nuggets I do have concerns about prospectors coming onto my claims.

There's only a couple of dirt roads into the area.

I could make up some signs that say "Active Claims - No Prospecting".

It's BLM land so of course they have the right to use the land but just not prospect on it.

How do handle this type of issue? I don't live close.

Is it just the cost of doing business or do I step up the security measures??

Thanks.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
A start would be, as you said, to simply post that the area is currently under claim, so no prospecting. Make sure your sign notes that this includes metal detectors.

If you want to go the high-tech approach (or if you find they can't read :tongue3:), you could get a couple (or more) of trail cams. They have cams now that will email or text you every photo, but they are expensive and you also have to sign on with a wireless carrier. So maybe have one camera hidden where it could get the vehicle (and hopefully the license plate) as they enter or leave, as well as another camera that can catch them actually digging. Not sure how cameras would work for you however, as claims are quite large, and the range of the cameras is normally about 50' or so. And with cameras, you actually have to catch them in the act.

I would do the signs - definitely - but I'd probably pass on the cameras. Even if you could prove that only one vehicle entered the claim, as well as proving that "someone" had dug, a court will just throw it out if you can't catch them redhanded. The simple argument of, "Well what if they rode in on ATV or horseback?" or "What if it was really an animal?"

Maybe someone else will have some better ideas.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Post signs is about all you can do I have claims in Az and i know people mine them when im not there.Yes it pisses me off but nothing I can do about it.If I catch someone I take the high road and be nice and ask them if they know they are on a Federal Mining Claim. Their response will dictate if they get to stay and pan for the day or get thrown off the claim with the promise if I catch them again I will file Mineral Trespass against them which is a FELONY in Az. Most times I make a new friend that looks for their own ground to work.If not I also carry a equalizer.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get some of the purple & yellow caution tape (radiation hazard) and a handful of Radiation warning signs. Put em around your claims. Most important! Place as many game cameras as you can. You might not stop the snipers, but you'll have some hilarious youtube vids to share with us!

If you can't beat em have fun with it!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some good ideas!

I didn't realize there was something called "Mineral Trespass"

Need to do some homework on that!

So I'll do the signs for sure.

Maybe a couple that also say area is under video surveillance.

We work hard to get our claims and I take trespass seriously.

Any more ideas I'm listening.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the Gold Prospecting sub forums here on TNet, bet you will get loads of help!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had claims, so this is just a out there idea based on a little land experience. Let someone locally use your claim, find someone you can trust. Then they will also watch it for you. I have had some luck with vacant land and letting a hunter use it. He keeps others in line and has solved some of my problems with people dumping trash and destroying things. In return he gets to use the land as if it were his, within reason. And to be honest? He was probably using it anyhow before. But now we have an "agreement" type thing.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
find someone you can trust. Then they will also watch it for you.

With gold, there is no-one you can actually trust.

The only way to stop it is to physically be there.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With gold, there is no-one you can actually trust.

The only way to stop it is to physically be there.

Ya..I guess your right. But there are some trustworthy people out there. I was trusted with large amounts of money and gold in the past, I worried about my reputation more than Greed. And I do know a couple of people I would/could trust with the same. It's rare though! That's for sure!

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya..I guess your right. But there are some trustworthy people out there. I was trusted with large amounts of money and gold in the past, I worried about my reputation more than Greed. And I do know a couple of people I would/could trust with the same. It's rare though! That's for sure!

It's one thing to hire someone where they can still have an eye kept on them, but it's another thing altogether when you're an individual, the land doesn't belong to you ("Public" land), there are no cameras, and the other person isn't getting paid. I'm not saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE to find such an honest person, because they ARE out there. But you will be very hard pressed to find one that you can trust under those conditions.

Even in the world of religion, it was normally the "fear" of God watching you that kept people in line. Even that is largely gone nowdays.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one thing to hire someone where they can still have an eye kept on them, but it's another thing altogether when you're an individual, the land doesn't belong to you ("Public" land), there are no cameras, and the other person isn't getting paid. I'm not saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE to find such an honest person, because they ARE out there. But you will be very hard pressed to find one that you can trust under those conditions.

Even in the world of religion, it was normally the "fear" of God watching you that kept people in line. Even that is largely gone nowdays.

I guess I'm different, I don't do it because someone is watching, I do it for my own reputation. I'm not saying I've never done anything wrong on the side of greed because that would be a lie. :laughing7: But anyone, whether someone is watching or not could have me hold something for them and it would not be touched. My biggest worry would be if they were doing something that would get me into trouble, or someone stealing it from me, but I can say I wouldn't touch it. I've been in that position a few times. And If I would have taken something no one would have known. I would have known though! And one of those times I could have retired or came close to it, and not one person would have known except me, I still didn't do it. Sure, I thought about it, but didn't act because it would have bothered me too much. I felt honored that someone would trust me that much, and I wasn't going to betray that.

It's rare, but there are people that can be trusted. How you would find them is a whole other thing.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree completely. ...But just how many such folks do you think exist out there? On the surface? Many! In reality? ---------- crickets chirping -----------

Lemme put it this way - would you trust a fully-loaded armored car that is in police custody because it's evidence from a massive drug raid, and you knew it had not yet been counted, and they had to store it in your garage for the weekend (Why? I dunno - because the city was completely full!) Would the police "know" that they could trust you or anyone else?

Trust is such a very fragile thing. And I, sadly, used to not value it as I do today. That was MY mistake!! I screwed up back when I had friends. Now I know the true meaning of absolute trust, but have no friends. ...But then I'm not really looking anymore.

I know without a doubt that there are absolutely honest people out there. But chances are you're gonna have to crack a lot of eggs before you find one that doesn't stink. ...Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got some placer claims in Rye Patch, Nevada.

Because Rye Patch is a popular place to hunt gold nuggets I do have concerns about prospectors coming onto my claims.

There's only a couple of dirt roads into the area.

I could make up some signs that say "Active Claims - No Prospecting".

It's BLM land so of course they have the right to use the land but just not prospect on it.

How do handle this type of issue? I don't live close.

Is it just the cost of doing business or do I step up the security measures??

Thanks.

Long distance claim owners are open to claim jumpers and always have been. All you can do is mark your claim, use signage that warns or claims the area is under video/photo/electronic surveillance, and cross your fingers. I know local owners that use trail cams and motion sensors, one even uses a satellite video upload with cameras that look like rocks. Caretakers, at least the ones I have personally had contact with, are the biggest thieves on the planet (yes, I am aware there are a FEW honest ones), because they are usually local flunkies with nothing better to do anyway and figure what you don't know won't hurt 'em.

Unless you are on a claim at least once a week, why own one? If you are just visiting once or twice a year, join a club and stop worrying about it. :icon_thumright:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree completely. ...But just how many such folks do you think exist out there? On the surface? Many! In reality? ---------- crickets chirping -----------

Lemme put it this way - would you trust a fully-loaded armored car that is in police custody because it's evidence from a massive drug raid, and you knew it had not yet been counted, and they had to store it in your garage for the weekend (Why? I dunno - because the city was completely full!) Would the police "know" that they could trust you or anyone else?

Trust is such a very fragile thing. And I, sadly, used to not value it as I do today. That was MY mistake!! I screwed up back when I had friends. Now I know the true meaning of absolute trust, but have no friends. ...But then I'm not really looking anymore.

I know without a doubt that there are absolutely honest people out there. But chances are you're gonna have to crack a lot of eggs before you find one that doesn't stink. ...Just sayin'.

Not to side track the thread...

But I'm not completely honest! I would have no problem taking(in my mind) some money left from a drug operation. Don't ask me why that is different to me. I would never try to do anything to anyone that wouldn't do it to me. Type of thing. If you just robbed an armor car and hid the money in my backyard? I'm digging into that! But if your on your deathbed and asked me to take care of your estate, because you don't trust your own kids and no one knows how much you really have? I would not touch a thing. You trusted me, that is an honor, and would not be betrayed. Same with employers, friends, family.

So, maybe I'm not completely trustworthy, but for the most part. I guess it has rules.:laughing7: Someone steals from me? look out! I'll be back ten fold. And wouldn't have a bad feeling about it. So, I guess I'm just mental. :laughing7:

Some of that above are meant to be jokingly!

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like to be able to say that I wouldn't touch such a stash, either. Unfortunately, nobody has never put me in such charge before. :evil6:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Nitric, this was just posted in another thread on Tnet, but I couldn't have worded anything for this thread any better:

Life teaches us lessons. Sometimes the tuition is expensive, sometimes it's not. I would say be thankful you didn't lose out any more than your time and some stuff you really didn't want anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread