GOLD COINS

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium and
Whites Eagle II S (yes its older than some of the young'uns here)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely everything of value that I ever found was found while gardening in my own backyard !!!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you put it on the internet they will watch you. I get watched a lot.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Uhhh, last I checked, there was/is a lot of show & tell that gets put on md'ing forums. Even some highly valuable stuff that's very worthy of "atteboys". Ok, you tell me: How many of those people got the IRS showing up at their doorsteps asking for the tax due on those items ?

And how many beach hunters posting their latest show & tell ring finds, have had police show up at their doorstep to make sure they followed proper lost & found procedures for their state ?

If you answered both these questions correctly, I think you will see that you are over-thinking things a *tad* bit.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finders-Keepers, I say...!
"Don't tell, if they don't ask"

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll let you know when I find so many I need help digging them up. Until then I only ever found aluminum cans and pennies but I spent more cleaning them than they are worth.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
One state I know of allows no water hunting anywhere

Got a link ? Me thinks whatever it is, that you're citing, is only for something very specific. Not "the entire state". Got a link ?

For example: This has been a common misinterpretation of the FMDAC's state-by-state compendium : Someone reads something dire about their state's parks (like if it has an outight "no"). And they mistakingly think that means all the parks in their state. But on the contrary: That's only for state parks. And has no bearing on city, federal, county, or private land. And ..... no ....... any such rule does not "subrogate downwards to lesser/lower entities ".

So .... got a link ?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
You could call Ground view metal detectors in Chippewa Falls Wisconsin and ask for Kenny Briggs he will explain what happened and new rules passed for the whole state.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember getting a State Park metal detecting permit and reading it over. There was a line that said:

YOU MUST TURN IN ANY FINDS WORTH MORE THAN $20 TO THE PARKS DEPARTMENT.

I don't think I ever laughed that hard before.

haha...the fact someone had to put that in there is great.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

images.jpg

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha...the fact someone had to put that in there is great.

They put it in there on the off chance some moron goes: "Oh wow, look at this chest of gold coins I dug up! Are these worth anything?" And then the authorities swoop in, claim it all for themselves, then shrug and say "Well you signed the permit, so you knew this had to be turned over."

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Wisconsin I've been told, some detectorist found copper culture artifacts and sold them on eBay, it ended water, beach, stream and River hunting anywhere. Believe this was 2009.

Still waiting for a link. The "... I've been told... " origination of supposed rules, is often just skittish people's over-reactions.

Put it this way : I'll bet there's plenty of water hunters there having no problems.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting for a link. The "... I've been told... " origination of supposed rules, is often just skittish people's over-reactions.

Put it this way : I'll bet there's plenty of water hunters there having no problems.

Tom, is that really you? Welcome back.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other

Tom my friend messaged me what appears to be the link, but that is on Facebook. When I get to it I will put it on here.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found anything metal detecting or otherwise. I just go through the process for exercise

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
Check out the Jackson, TN Hoard. A large fruit jar of gold coins were found during a construction project. All the of the workers got their hands on some of them, but the dozier worker got the most. They are some of the rarest gold coins in America. They were associated with a robbery and a cold case crime. The city of Jackson, TN tried to get them back, but they were so scattered in the wind and of course no one knew anything at all. A few of them sold on market for $30,000 plus. This story is very true and I got my hands on a few of these for observation purposes only. Many of the coins are circulating in the collector market.

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out the Jackson, TN Hoard. A large fruit jar of gold coins were found during a construction project. All the of the workers got their hands on some of them, but the dozier worker got the most. They are some of the rarest gold coins in America. They were associated with a robbery and a cold case crime. The city of Jackson, TN tried to get them back, but they were so scattered in the wind and of course no one knew anything at all. A few of them sold on market for $30,000 plus. This story is very true and I got my hands on a few of these for observation purposes only. Many of the coins are circulating in the collector market.

One D mint! I found one myself

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread