Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this one:
By NN Assistant on March 28, 2018
Featured

Enos and Bodean Pervis, new millionaires.
From Staff reports
Walking along a dry winter lake bottom is nothing new for brothers, Bodean and Enos Pervis of the Hickory Tree community near Bluff City. Every winter when area lakes draw down they look for lost fishing lures and gear, watches, jewelry and bottles. This past January their luck changed in a valuable way. They struck gold.
Bodean suggested they keep their find quiet until it could be valued but Enos let the cat out of the bag when he told his sister. The news was out. The brothers had found a large number of old gold coins in a jar barely visible, partially buried under an old rotten log. They couldn’t lift the log and had to rent a chain saw from East Tenn Rent-Alls to cut the log in half to get to the shiny coins.
Inside the jar they discovered gold coins in $5, $10 and $20 denominations with the dates of 1840s and 1850s. The brothers and Enos’s wife, Magnolia, guessed the coins had been stolen from an Army payroll during one of the Indian wars in Alabama. The coins looked like they had been hidden and the culprits caught or killed leaving the loot unclaimed.
“We have gotten a preliminary value of them ole’ coins and I was shocked out of my shoes,” Bodean said. “The professor, Dr. Seth Poole, told us the coins could be worth well over a million bucks.”
One of the largest previous finds of gold coins was $1 million uncovered by construction workers in Jackson, Tenn., in 1985.
Magnolia Pervis is one of the happiest of the family saying, “It’s gonna be a new day around our house. A new car, new tires and maybe even a new house with hot water!”
Enos has been living with his brother and sister-in-law since his wife left him penniless a few months previous. “I bet that grouchy gal will get back here in a heartbeat when she hears about our discovery. I don’t want her back.”
Although most of the coins were minted in Georgia, one $5 gold piece came from as far away as San Francisco.
The brothers know great stuff lurks at the bottom of area lakes, especially this one. “It’s like hitting the lottery. The gold may be worth even more than $1 million I bet,” Bodean said between cigarette puffs.

Old gold coins found buried beneath a sunken log on the lakebed.
“I don’t think TVA will try to file a claim since we found it. We’ve hidden it again just in case. We only let the professor look at 15 coins. He was astonished as we was,” Bodean claimed. “I don’t even think the IRS will try to claim taxes on something so old. We should have kept our mouth shut anyway,” Bodean claimed.
Enos said, “I’ll just tell anybody that starts a pokin’ around
 ‘once Jimmy Hoffa is found, we can move on to finding Jimmy Buffett’s lost salt shaker
ha, ha, ha’.”
Local officials have told the brothers and immediate family to keep a low profile especially this weekend since it’s April Fool’s Day coming this Sunday, April 1st.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one:
By NN Assistant on March 28, 2018
Featured

Enos and Bodean Pervis, new millionaires.
From Staff reports
Walking along a dry winter lake bottom is nothing new for brothers, Bodean and Enos Pervis of the Hickory Tree community near Bluff City. Every winter when area lakes draw down they look for lost fishing lures and gear, watches, jewelry and bottles. This past January their luck changed in a valuable way. They struck gold.
Bodean suggested they keep their find quiet until it could be valued but Enos let the cat out of the bag when he told his sister. The news was out. The brothers had found a large number of old gold coins in a jar barely visible, partially buried under an old rotten log. They couldn’t lift the log and had to rent a chain saw from East Tenn Rent-Alls to cut the log in half to get to the shiny coins.
Inside the jar they discovered gold coins in $5, $10 and $20 denominations with the dates of 1840s and 1850s. The brothers and Enos’s wife, Magnolia, guessed the coins had been stolen from an Army payroll during one of the Indian wars in Alabama. The coins looked like they had been hidden and the culprits caught or killed leaving the loot unclaimed.
“We have gotten a preliminary value of them ole’ coins and I was shocked out of my shoes,” Bodean said. “The professor, Dr. Seth Poole, told us the coins could be worth well over a million bucks.”
One of the largest previous finds of gold coins was $1 million uncovered by construction workers in Jackson, Tenn., in 1985.
Magnolia Pervis is one of the happiest of the family saying, “It’s gonna be a new day around our house. A new car, new tires and maybe even a new house with hot water!”
Enos has been living with his brother and sister-in-law since his wife left him penniless a few months previous. “I bet that grouchy gal will get back here in a heartbeat when she hears about our discovery. I don’t want her back.”
Although most of the coins were minted in Georgia, one $5 gold piece came from as far away as San Francisco.
The brothers know great stuff lurks at the bottom of area lakes, especially this one. “It’s like hitting the lottery. The gold may be worth even more than $1 million I bet,” Bodean said between cigarette puffs.

Old gold coins found buried beneath a sunken log on the lakebed.
“I don’t think TVA will try to file a claim since we found it. We’ve hidden it again just in case. We only let the professor look at 15 coins. He was astonished as we was,” Bodean claimed. “I don’t even think the IRS will try to claim taxes on something so old. We should have kept our mouth shut anyway,” Bodean claimed.
Enos said, “I’ll just tell anybody that starts a pokin’ around
 ‘once Jimmy Hoffa is found, we can move on to finding Jimmy Buffett’s lost salt shaker
ha, ha, ha’.”
Local officials have told the brothers and immediate family to keep a low profile especially this weekend since it’s April Fool’s Day coming this Sunday, April 1st.

Does it get any more "Beverly Hillbillies" than this? :laughing7:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well first of all, you need to send them to me for verification

second, how would anyone know where you found it?

I'm closer and will pay for shipping one way.
If I find treasure I'm not running to some goverment desk jockey with the news. There should be ways to quietly turn those coins into cash.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Still waiting for a link. The "... I've been told... " origination of supposed rules, is often just skittish people's over-reactions.

Put it this way : I'll bet there's plenty of water hunters there having no problems.

The four detecting clubs who fought the efforts to prevent the banning of metal detecting Wisconsin waterways by the DNR were only given a letter that the new rules went into effect. A state archeologist lead the efforts backed by Native American groups (November 2009). The metal detecting clubs were not given a chance to even be heard. So what did it cover? All waters that can be monitored by the DNR, rivers, streams and beaches, this included 100 feet or yards of the flood plain, so that meant no detecting the sand either. The DNR has no mention on their online site that I could find. So basically it is like Padres Island. Private property is still ok. One could get caught much like fishing from the shore and the boat approaching is game wardens checking for your fishing license. My friend in Chippewa Falls is searching for the letter, he is a retired sheriff and whites dealer and plans to do a video about these changes and when that is done I will share it over to this forum.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The four detecting clubs who fought the efforts to prevent the banning of metal detecting Wisconsin waterways by the DNR were only given a letter that the new rules went into effect. A state archeologist lead the efforts backed by Native American groups (November 2009). The metal detecting clubs were not given a chance to even be heard. So what did it cover? All waters that can be monitored by the DNR, rivers, streams and beaches .....

DNR is not the entire state, nor all public waterways. They are just state or State Park waterways. Not all waterways.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom, I don't expect you to contact them and post the results, which would show you don't know what your talking about on this one. This was over copper culture artifacts recovered and listed on ebay. Antiquities came into play and the state apparently did not want to tangle with laws that were already in place. The DNR covers the whole state.
Back around 2002-2004, there was a fellow who posted on this site he had purchased a Bounty Hunter machine and was going to Padre's Island to hunt for treasure, folks told him not to and tried to warn him. A little over a week later he posted he got caught they took his machine and he got a fine. On top of that he had to return for the court appearance. So I guess if one wants to do something go for it, the worst that can happen is one can wreck it for everyone.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im keepin em no matter what the law is its crazy to have a law that says what I find is theirs

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree AZ American needs more Laws, rules, and regulations. They keep us safe and they really know what is best for us. Heck without em over half the people that pissed me off would be dead. Who'd a thunk that would become illegal? Heres 2 real guddons pull up your pants.jpg

Last edited:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree AZ American needs more Laws, rules, and regulations. They keep us safe and they really know what is best for us. Heck without em over half the people that pissed me off would be dead. Who'd a thunk that would become illegal? Heres 2 real guddons View attachment 1656841

In the good old days you could dispatch a**hats who were causing problems. Such permanent solutions are what made America great. The strong and the swift flourished.
However, this also slowed population growth. There was a need for consumers and cannon fodder.
It was made more difficult to dispatch folks without some sissified bunch causing legal consequences.
The weak and simple minded flourished then.
Nowadays, with our overpopulation and the problems of such, I think it is time to revisit the laws against citizens culling the herd so to speak.
I haven't put a lot of thought into this however.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tom, I don't expect you to contact them and post the results, which would show you don't know what your talking about on this one. This was over copper culture artifacts recovered and listed on ebay. Antiquities came into play and the state apparently did not want to tangle with laws that were already in place. The DNR covers the whole state.
Back around 2002-2004, there was a fellow who posted on this site he had purchased a Bounty Hunter machine and was going to Padre's Island to hunt for treasure, folks told him not to and tried to warn him. A little over a week later he posted he got caught they took his machine and he got a fine. On top of that he had to return for the court appearance. So I guess if one wants to do something go for it, the worst that can happen is one can wreck it for everyone.

Tired-man, I just looked up the Wisconsin DNR. It is a state agency. If they also have jurisdiction over City, County, Federal, and private water Shores, then I would like to see where that is written. Because if whatever you can point to continues to say "entire state", I believe that is within the context of the agency's domain : State controlled/administered areas. In that sense, sure : "The entire state".

But if a city has a pond, or a creek running through it its park, or farmer Bob has a lake on his land, no, I don't think what you are saying applies.

Also, keep in mind that publicly-funded archaeologists tend to say a lot of dire things. And can maybe even point you in the direction of some scary sounding minutia. Yet reality is often far different. I have no doubt there are plenty of people metal detecting along waterways in Wisconsin, you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who cares less. Unless you were wearing neon yellow, traipsing over Beach blankets at an archaeologist convention or something.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tired-man, I just looked up the Wisconsin DNR. It is a state agency. If they also have jurisdiction over City, County, Federal, and private water Shores, then I would like to see where that is written. Because if whatever you can point to continues to say "entire state", I believe that is within the context of the agency's domain : State controlled/administered areas. In that sense, sure : "The entire state".

But if a city has a pond, or a creek running through it its park, or farmer Bob has a lake on his land, no, I don't think what you are saying applies.

Also, keep in mind that publicly-funded archaeologists tend to say a lot of dire things. And can maybe even point you in the direction of some scary sounding minutia. Yet reality is often far different. I have no doubt there are plenty of people metal detecting along waterways in Wisconsin, you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who cares less. Unless you were wearing neon yellow, traipsing over Beach blankets at an archaeologist convention or something.

State DNRs enforce natural resource laws of the state, not only state owned land. There is some variation among states, but look for the legal term "waters of the state" and you may be very surprised. Most people are surprised to discover that state natural resource laws also apply to that "farmer Bob's" farm pond. Once farmer Bob digs a pond, it becomes "waters of the state". I know this for a fact because I worked for my state's DNR for 32 years and sought clarification from our asst Att. Gen., as I had to address frequent questions. A state agency enforces the law within its agency, so a housing agency enforces housing laws, labor agency enforces labor laws etc. In the case of farmer Bob's farm pond, the public even has a right to fish that pond; the catch is that a person may not trespass to get to it. Commonly, if state assistance is involved - such as fish stocking, then the public does have a right to access the pond and fish there. Owning the land around that farm pond does not give the property owner any right to use methods size limits,bag limits, gear that would be illegal. Very rarely, county or city or federal law precedes state law by date and is in effect if it is more restrictive.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DNR is not the entire state, nor all public waterways. They are just state or State Park waterways. Not all waterways.

That is incorrect for WI and every other state I am aware of.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jurisdictional issues notwithstanding, such a law, regulation or executive order (whichever it is) could be unconstitutional. I'm not familiar with the WI state constitution, but it is irrelevant. Many laws and regulations are unconstitutional (and most executive orders, IMO) but who has deep enough pockets to sue the state? Four metal detecting clubs?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are only two references in State law in Wisconsin regarding metal detecting.

The first is the General Law regarding State owned property:
NR 45.04  General rules.
(1)  State property.
(i) Metal detectors. The use of metal detectors is prohibited except by written permit issued by the property superintendent.

The second is a specific prohibition for the Kickapoo Valley Reserve:
KB 1.03 General.
(1)  Reserve property.
(g) Metal detectors. The use of metal detectors is prohibited except by written permit issued by the property manager.

Nothing in there about DNR or enforcement or equipment seizure.

It's nice that Wisconsin provides such an easy way to search their laws.

I hate to admit it but it looks like Tom is right - those laws prohibiting metal detecting in Wisconsin are limited to State owned property and the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. :occasion14:

Some towns or cities might have additional laws but there is no State wide law against metal detecting in Wisconsin.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow folks can argue it to death. The DNR has a listed phone number call it. Ask about the Nov 2009 ruling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread