GOLD COINS - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: GOLD COINS

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2016
    1173 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    You could call Ground view metal detectors in Chippewa Falls Wisconsin and ask for Kenny Briggs he will explain what happened and new rules passed for the whole state.

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3666 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakakka View Post
    I remember getting a State Park metal detecting permit and reading it over. There was a line that said:

YOU MUST TURN IN ANY FINDS WORTH MORE THAN $20 TO THE PARKS DEPARTMENT.

I don't think I ever laughed that hard before.
    haha...the fact someone had to put that in there is great.

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3666 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ecmjamsit View Post
    If you put it on the internet they will watch you. I get watched a lot.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  8.8 KB

May 2017
    1374 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggin-N-Dumps View Post
    haha...the fact someone had to put that in there is great.
    They put it in there on the off chance some moron goes: "Oh wow, look at this chest of gold coins I dug up! Are these worth anything?" And then the authorities swoop in, claim it all for themselves, then shrug and say "Well you signed the permit, so you knew this had to be turned over."

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10063 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiredman View Post
    Wisconsin I've been told, some detectorist found copper culture artifacts and sold them on eBay, it ended water, beach, stream and River hunting anywhere. Believe this was 2009.
    Still waiting for a link. The "... I've been told... " origination of supposed rules, is often just skittish people's over-reactions.

Put it this way : I'll bet there's plenty of water hunters there having no problems.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Still waiting for a link. The "... I've been told... " origination of supposed rules, is often just skittish people's over-reactions.

Put it this way : I'll bet there's plenty of water hunters there having no problems.
    Tom, is that really you? Welcome back.

Oct 2016
    1173 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post

Tom my friend messaged me what appears to be the link, but that is on Facebook. When I get to it I will put it on here.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6792 times
    I have never found anything metal detecting or otherwise. I just go through the process for exercise
    Hillbilly Prince and Joe-Dirt like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us
    Aug 2010
    West Tennessee
    Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
    59 times
    Check out the Jackson, TN Hoard. A large fruit jar of gold coins were found during a construction project. All the of the workers got their hands on some of them, but the dozier worker got the most. They are some of the rarest gold coins in America. They were associated with a robbery and a cold case crime. The city of Jackson, TN tried to get them back, but they were so scattered in the wind and of course no one knew anything at all. A few of them sold on market for $30,000 plus. This story is very true and I got my hands on a few of these for observation purposes only. Many of the coins are circulating in the collector market.
    Last edited by Edmundruffin; Nov 29, 2018 at 08:08 PM.

Oct 2016
    1173 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmundruffin View Post
    Check out the Jackson, TN Hoard. A large fruit jar of gold coins were found during a construction project. All the of the workers got their hands on some of them, but the dozier worker got the most. They are some of the rarest gold coins in America. They were associated with a robbery and a cold case crime. The city of Jackson, TN tried to get them back, but they were so scattered in the wind and of course no one knew anything at all. A few of them sold on market for $30,000 plus. This story is very true and I got my hands on a few of these for observation purposes only. Many of the coins are circulating in the collector market.
    One D mint! I found one myself

Oct 2016
    1173 times
    Glad you posted about this hoard I collect stories about these!

Oct 2016
    1173 times
    Found this one:
    By NN Assistant on March 28, 2018
    Featured

Enos and Bodean Pervis, new millionaires.
    From Staff reports
    Walking along a dry winter lake bottom is nothing new for brothers, Bodean and Enos Pervis of the Hickory Tree community near Bluff City. Every winter when area lakes draw down they look for lost fishing lures and gear, watches, jewelry and bottles. This past January their luck changed in a valuable way. They struck gold.
    Bodean suggested they keep their find quiet until it could be valued but Enos let the cat out of the bag when he told his sister. The news was out. The brothers had found a large number of old gold coins in a jar barely visible, partially buried under an old rotten log. They couldn’t lift the log and had to rent a chain saw from East Tenn Rent-Alls to cut the log in half to get to the shiny coins.
    Inside the jar they discovered gold coins in $5, $10 and $20 denominations with the dates of 1840s and 1850s. The brothers and Enos’s wife, Magnolia, guessed the coins had been stolen from an Army payroll during one of the Indian wars in Alabama. The coins looked like they had been hidden and the culprits caught or killed leaving the loot unclaimed.
    “We have gotten a preliminary value of them ole’ coins and I was shocked out of my shoes,” Bodean said. “The professor, Dr. Seth Poole, told us the coins could be worth well over a million bucks.”
    One of the largest previous finds of gold coins was $1 million uncovered by construction workers in Jackson, Tenn., in 1985.
    Magnolia Pervis is one of the happiest of the family saying, “It’s gonna be a new day around our house. A new car, new tires and maybe even a new house with hot water!”
    Enos has been living with his brother and sister-in-law since his wife left him penniless a few months previous. “I bet that grouchy gal will get back here in a heartbeat when she hears about our discovery. I don’t want her back.”
    Although most of the coins were minted in Georgia, one $5 gold piece came from as far away as San Francisco.
    The brothers know great stuff lurks at the bottom of area lakes, especially this one. “It’s like hitting the lottery. The gold may be worth even more than $1 million I bet,” Bodean said between cigarette puffs.

Old gold coins found buried beneath a sunken log on the lakebed.
    “I don’t think TVA will try to file a claim since we found it. We’ve hidden it again just in case. We only let the professor look at 15 coins. He was astonished as we was,” Bodean claimed. “I don’t even think the IRS will try to claim taxes on something so old. We should have kept our mouth shut anyway,” Bodean claimed.
    Enos said, “I’ll just tell anybody that starts a pokin’ around… ‘once Jimmy Hoffa is found, we can move on to finding Jimmy Buffett’s lost salt shaker…ha, ha, ha’.”
    Local officials have told the brothers and immediate family to keep a low profile especially this weekend since it’s April Fool’s Day coming this Sunday, April 1st.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2011
    Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
    Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
    1118 times
    I love Robert E Lee!

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7555 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiredman View Post
    Found this one:
    By NN Assistant on March 28, 2018
    Featured

Enos and Bodean Pervis, new millionaires.
    From Staff reports
    Walking along a dry winter lake bottom is nothing new for brothers, Bodean and Enos Pervis of the Hickory Tree community near Bluff City. Every winter when area lakes draw down they look for lost fishing lures and gear, watches, jewelry and bottles. This past January their luck changed in a valuable way. They struck gold.
    Bodean suggested they keep their find quiet until it could be valued but Enos let the cat out of the bag when he told his sister. The news was out. The brothers had found a large number of old gold coins in a jar barely visible, partially buried under an old rotten log. They couldn’t lift the log and had to rent a chain saw from East Tenn Rent-Alls to cut the log in half to get to the shiny coins.
    Inside the jar they discovered gold coins in $5, $10 and $20 denominations with the dates of 1840s and 1850s. The brothers and Enos’s wife, Magnolia, guessed the coins had been stolen from an Army payroll during one of the Indian wars in Alabama. The coins looked like they had been hidden and the culprits caught or killed leaving the loot unclaimed.
    “We have gotten a preliminary value of them ole’ coins and I was shocked out of my shoes,” Bodean said. “The professor, Dr. Seth Poole, told us the coins could be worth well over a million bucks.”
    One of the largest previous finds of gold coins was $1 million uncovered by construction workers in Jackson, Tenn., in 1985.
    Magnolia Pervis is one of the happiest of the family saying, “It’s gonna be a new day around our house. A new car, new tires and maybe even a new house with hot water!”
    Enos has been living with his brother and sister-in-law since his wife left him penniless a few months previous. “I bet that grouchy gal will get back here in a heartbeat when she hears about our discovery. I don’t want her back.”
    Although most of the coins were minted in Georgia, one $5 gold piece came from as far away as San Francisco.
    The brothers know great stuff lurks at the bottom of area lakes, especially this one. “It’s like hitting the lottery. The gold may be worth even more than $1 million I bet,” Bodean said between cigarette puffs.

Old gold coins found buried beneath a sunken log on the lakebed.
    “I don’t think TVA will try to file a claim since we found it. We’ve hidden it again just in case. We only let the professor look at 15 coins. He was astonished as we was,” Bodean claimed. “I don’t even think the IRS will try to claim taxes on something so old. We should have kept our mouth shut anyway,” Bodean claimed.
    Enos said, “I’ll just tell anybody that starts a pokin’ around… ‘once Jimmy Hoffa is found, we can move on to finding Jimmy Buffett’s lost salt shaker…ha, ha, ha’.”
    Local officials have told the brothers and immediate family to keep a low profile especially this weekend since it’s April Fool’s Day coming this Sunday, April 1st.
    Does it get any more "Beverly Hillbillies" than this?
    trdking and Joe-Dirt like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Dec 2016
    Gloucester co.NJ
    Fisher F4,AT Pro
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaro View Post
    They must catch you before they can hang you and if you dont tell them, how will they ever know?
    Treasurenet
    trdking likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links