GOLD COINS

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... my friend found the letter from the DNR.....

Right. And who-can-argue with that ? And we can all sit back and pat-ourselves on the back for submitting these "FAQ's" that merit those answers to our "pressing questions".

So too, if you sent enough letters to very-concerned people asking if you can pick your own nose, that .... likewise ... you will generate "no" answers.

If you sent enough letters to the "PETA" (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) organization, asking them: "Can I leave my pet bunny in the car while I run into 7-11 to get a soda?". They would sccrreeaccchhh "NO !". And might even cite scary sounding laws about animal cruelty. Tell you that your car can be confiscated. And rattle off chapter and verse about how the bunny can suffer in the hot car, blah blah.

But ... seriously now ... did anyone except that animal rights wacko advocate care one iota about the bunny ? OF COURSE NOT. So too do I put little stock into what some archies say . Letters get bandied about and passed to their desk with these "pressing questions". Sorry for the rant. :BangHead:

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What answer would you expect to get from a state employed archaeologist? Naturally he thinks all government lands are his personal playground......where he gets paid to play in them. I always cracks me up when they spout off on how they're there to "identify, protect, and manage" archaeological sites (both known and unknown), while leaving these items in the ground to slowly disintegrate. Oh, they plan to get to these sites eventually. Yeah, sure they will.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
What answer would you expect to get from a state employed archaeologist? Naturally he thinks all government lands are his personal playground......where he gets paid to play in them. I always cracks me up when they spout off on how they're there to "identify, protect, and manage" archaeological sites (both known and unknown), while leaving these items in the ground to slowly disintegrate. Oh, they plan to get to these sites eventually. Yeah, sure they will.

This law came to be due to 2 people metal detecting and digging copper age artifacts and listing them on ebay. The listing was spotted and the rest was history.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...The listing was spotted and the rest was history.

I have a sneaking suspicion there is more to the story than this. The way you relate the story, it's as if "an archaeologist just happens to be looking at ebay one day. And just happened to see an artifact for sale", etc....

I find it hard to believe that there's ever an archie(s) who sit at ebay, looking for artifacts, IN ADDITION to "making note of the origin" (did the seller give details @ like "dug at such & such place last week" ?).

Because, think about it: There's old stuff (ie.: "artifacts") sold on Ebay ALL THE TIME. Eg.: old coins, arrow heads, relics, buttons, etc... Since when do archies ever get on there, studying to see if provenance was listed, and then getting their panties in a wad ? I mean, I bet that "copper age artifacts" are bought and sold ALL THE TIME , back and forth, between collectors. Since when isn't that allowed ? Who said something wasn't found on someone's private farm ? Or been in a family collection for 75 yrs. already ? etc....

It would assume that someone had listed some sort of off-limits site (ie.: "dug at Ghettysburg last week", etc..). And even THEN, I bet someone would need to have brought it to an archie's attention.

Do you have the original Ebay ad ? Or do you know how it was worded ? I'm guessing there's got to be more to the story than that.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This law came to be due to 2 people metal detecting and digging copper age artifacts and listing them on ebay. The listing was spotted and the rest was history.

It's not a law Tiredman. It's a DNR administrative policy that according to your letter has always existed. That policy only applies to DNR managed lands.

DNR can manage the lands under their care. Clearly the vast majority of the State of Wisconsin is not managed by the DNR. As the DNR agent wrote in the letter you copied:
I would encourage you to pursue opportunities for metal detector prospecting on Wisconsin's privately-held lands and waters - areas where metal detector use is not constrained by state, federal, or other laws or rules.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the number in the letter. Use common sense Tom.

That's the last thing you would want to do. Who needs an archaeologist's opinion on the law. If it's a true law, it will be written down and posted at the courthouse or online through an official government site. Look it up yourself. It's not a secret. Getting someone's opinion (verbal or written) is just that.....an opinion, not fact until you verify with the actual written law.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... If it's a true law, it will be written down and ....

And let's grant, for sake-of-argument, that it is gospel law. And let's grant for sake of argument that archies lurk behind every tree, waiting to jump out and accost md'rs who were in the middle of nowhere :

The point still is: It's this perpetual notion that we md'rs should be grovelling and asking, that BRINGS ABOUT THESE VERY letters, laws, policies, etc.... Sure as heck, someone eventually needs to "address the pressing issue", thus presto: A law is born.

And no, it's not the persons who aren't "calling every desk-jockey" to "seek clarification" that bring about the laws & rules. Ie.: It seems to me that the vast majority of laws are born out of "swatting hornet's nests" and begging for red-carpet clarifications (ie.: "calling and asking", as is being suggested here).

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
But then you could call Groundview Metal Detectors in Chippewa Falls Wisconsin. Ken will explain the changes in the laws. Since I don't detect anymore I don't have anything to lose.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
But then you could call Groundview Metal Detectors in Chippewa Falls Wisconsin. Ken will explain the changes in the laws. Since I don't detect anymore I don't have anything to lose.

There are no "changes in the laws". I already presented the Wisconsin laws on metal detecting. The prohibition is only a policy - not a law.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like Feburary 4 and 5 we have a new topic! Jan 14 and 15 are important dates also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread