Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 78
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: GOLD COINS

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #61

    Oct 2016
    1,163
    533 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    Go down to Wisconsin on this site, metal detecting banned on DNR lands, 4 page topic posted here in November 2009.

  2. #62

    Oct 2016
    1,163
    533 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    Here is your link, we can move on! Metal Detecting banned on Wisconsin DNR lands
    I noticed one post claim 99% of the state waters.

  3. #63

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    12,433
    8737 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    ... for WI and every other state I am aware of.
    Megalodon: then why is it that we have metal detecting hobbyist forums, that all have Beach venue specific Pages ? Where water & shoreline md'rs have their show and tell bragging rights every day of the week?

    Our forums are FILLED with show until from Beach Hunters. How can this be?? Are they all Lawless miscreants ?
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Dec 03, 2018 at 04:08 PM.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  4. #64

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    12,433
    8737 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiredman View Post
    ...The DNR has a listed phone number call it.....
    Oh sure. Let's go running to "seek clarification ", and " get the matter answered once and for all". And... gee ... who better to ask than the bureaucracy people themselves ? And when we put this FAQ on their desks, let's be sure to Pepper it with words like : artifact, Relic, Indian bone, take/remove/disturb, holes, dig, and treasure.

    This would seem like the fastest way to get it to be nothing but a self-fulfilling vicious Loop. And it is indeed the way I think a lot of these supposed laws and rules get started in the first place. We make our own selves a giant Bullseye, and go swatting hornet's nest, for places and locations that nobody cares less.
    xr7ator and T.C. like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  5. #65

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    12,433
    8737 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Tired-man, let's just put it this way : I have no doubt that if somebody sat down and looked, long enough and hard enough : Yes, He could probably find language and minutiae in every single public entity's wording that... could be construed to prohibit our activity. On both land and water. Even for the most mundane tame sandboxes.

    While I am not saying to throw caution to the wind, I think that some laws are sort of like spitting on sidewalks laws. Sure, use common sense and avoid obvious historic Monument spots, and archaeologists conventions. But beyond that, I have no doubt there are plenty of people hunting beaches (creeks, rivers, lakes) in Wisconsin.
    T.C. likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  6. #66
    us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett Master Hunter 7
    308
    354 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Megalodon: then why is it that we have metal detecting hobbyist forums, that all have Beach venue specific Pages ? Where water & shoreline md'rs have their show and tell bragging rights every day of the week?

    Our forums are FILLED with show until from Beach Hunters. How can this be?? Are they all Lawless miscreants ?
    You misrepresent what i said. I also hunt beaches but respect the law that forbids me from hunting a few beaches that are specifically closed to metal detecting. Congratulations for misrepresenting what I said and for misrepresenting the issue in general - you are now blocked.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Dec 03, 2018 at 05:56 PM.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

  7. #67

    Oct 2016
    1,163
    533 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    One learns more by listening
    Hillbilly Prince and Tpmetal like this.

  8. #68
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8,862
    5827 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    You misrepresent what i said. I also hunt beaches but respect the law that forbids me from hunting a few beaches that are specifically closed to metal detecting. Congratulations for misrepresenting what I said and for misrepresenting the issue in general - you are now blocked.
    I don't believe Tom is trying to mislead or misrepresent anything here. IMO, he's trying to point out that unless a law specifically bans detecting a certain area, assume there isn't a law against it instead of assuming one exists and applies to us. There are lots of laws out there that are vague and can be applied to detecting if some anal retentive government official wants to, but, most of those laws were passed before metal detecting came into being, rather, they were meant for other activities and were stretched (sometimes unfairly or unreasonably) to encompass our hobby. I know that reading the minutia of these laws is the cure for insomnia, but, the devil is in the details. You need to read the wording carefully and check the definitions of everything, to be sure the law applies to what you are doing. Frankly, when I find the law vague, I assume it's in my favor, not against me......at least until I'm threatened with jail!
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

  9. #69
    us
    Mar 2012
    MS
    Minelab Etrac
    84
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    America’s toilet is in serious need of flushing.

  10. #70
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    4,208
    1716 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kingskid1611 View Post
    If you find any coins or valuables at all don't forget to claim them on taxes so you can be legal....then they would be yours....
    It is my understanding you only have to pay taxes when you sell it. But keep good records on your expenses it may offset the profit.
    at yard sales I am dollardan

  11. #71
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2015
    Wisconsin, N.C. Fl....wherever the wrecks take me
    Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube
    485
    756 times
    Shipwrecks
    I had the unfortunate need to actually search for specific lost property in WI state waters...and spoke DIRECTLY...with the states head archie...( shudders). To summerize...yes...you CAN metal detect WI state waters....

    PROVIDED........................


    You submit a specific itemization plan of object being sought...to include EXACT location of lost item. Now...as I pointed out to our intrepid politico..if it's EXACT location was known...than it wouldn't be lost right?
    You can only search between specific daylight hours within a specific season, and must provide location maps and proof that the area you wish to look are not within "Archeologically sensitive location"...and provide the state with proof thereof....

    Oh...and DNR has authority over ALL state "navigable waters". I repeat...ALL


    After you have submitted this plethara of state mandated paperwork...and it won't...you must schedule with the local DNR superintendant a time that a conservation officer can be present to oversee your activitys.

    Needless to say...entering WI state waters with a metal detector is just not legally possible in reality.

    Anyone want to guess what I told the Sheriff when they couldn't find a very important evidentiary object and and asked me to search?

    Welcome to Wisconsin..where if it's fun..it's illegal.


    And Tom..I'm not going to debate the symantics or theoreticals ....my experiance is simply my experiance...

    Remember that "legislative intent"...has nothing to do with enforcement in the real world.

    Ag

  12. #72

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    12,433
    8737 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by agflit View Post
    ......and spoke DIRECTLY...with the states head archie...( shudders).....
    I agree with "shudders". Since, let's be honest : WHAT WOULD SOMEONE EXPECT, when talking to a purist archie about md'ing ? They hate md'rs after all. So anything they say will be filled with dire sounding bologna.

    That would be a little like asking a P.E.T.A. rep. (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) if it's ok to leave your pet bunny in the car while you run into 7-11 to get a soda. The Animal Rights wacko advocate would shudder, scream, and screech: "NNnneeooo". And then tell you how the bunny will suffer. And read you the list of rules on how many degrees the car is allowed to be. And then give you stern warnings about tickets, jail, etc... for "animal cruelty" laws. Heck, they might even be able to cite you chapter and verse of scary sounding Animal cruelty laws to back up what they are saying !

    But seriously now: Did anyone else except the P.E.T.A. person care less ? Of course not. So too do I put little stock into what some purist archies say.


    Quote Originally Posted by agflit View Post
    ....Remember that "legislative intent"...has nothing to do with enforcement in the real world....
    Correct. Some things are a bit like jay-walking or spitting on sidewalks type laws. Sure you can find wackos who might make big fusses , thus, sure: Don't spit in their holy water. Ie.: don't waltz through archie conventions, traipsing over their beach blankets. But .... as I've said: There's no shortage of water MD'rs in WI, who are NOT going through all the hoops that you speak of. And they'd be hardpressed to find anyone to care less. Unless they were being a nuisance at some obvious historic sensitive monument.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  13. #73
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8,862
    5827 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by agflit View Post
    I had the unfortunate need to actually search for specific lost property in WI state waters...and spoke DIRECTLY...with the states head archie...( shudders). To summerize...yes...you CAN metal detect WI state waters....

    PROVIDED........................


    You submit a specific itemization plan of object being sought...to include EXACT location of lost item. Now...as I pointed out to our intrepid politico..if it's EXACT location was known...than it wouldn't be lost right?
    You can only search between specific daylight hours within a specific season, and must provide location maps and proof that the area you wish to look are not within "Archeologically sensitive location"...and provide the state with proof thereof....

    Oh...and DNR has authority over ALL state "navigable waters". I repeat...ALL


    After you have submitted this plethara of state mandated paperwork...and it won't...you must schedule with the local DNR superintendant a time that a conservation officer can be present to oversee your activitys.

    Needless to say...entering WI state waters with a metal detector is just not legally possible in reality.

    Anyone want to guess what I told the Sheriff when they couldn't find a very important evidentiary object and and asked me to search?

    Welcome to Wisconsin..where if it's fun..it's illegal.


    And Tom..I'm not going to debate the symantics or theoreticals ....my experiance is simply my experiance...

    Remember that "legislative intent"...has nothing to do with enforcement in the real world.

    Ag
    Now you need to go find out what their definition of "navigable" is........
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

  14. #74

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    12,433
    8737 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Now you need to go find out what their definition of "navigable" is........

    Sure. And keep asking long enough, and high enough up the chain, till you finally find someone to tell you "No md'ing". Haha
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  15. #75
    us
    Only boaring people get board

    Nov 2018
    caro
    Garrett AT Pro
    30
    38 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    best to call the authorities right away....1 877-coin-patrol

 

 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Sep 04, 2014, 10:08 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
  3. My gold and silver coins so far this year, 337 coins and 72 gold pieces
    By Goldinwater in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Oct 02, 2011, 02:32 PM
  4. My Year of Silver Coins, Wheat Pennies and Gold Coins 2010
    By M-Taliesin in forum 2010 Annual Finds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec 24, 2010, 07:46 PM
  5. Over 20 Screen Savers Shipreck Coins ,Gold Coins,Ancient coins
    By travelman11 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul 15, 2010, 06:09 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0