Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well first of all, you need to send them to me for verification

second, how would anyone know where you found it?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I think a past generation had it right. "Loose lips sink ships".

DetectRights

Banned
Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually wait till I get a gallon jug full and then send them to the state.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just throw them back in.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
why would the question apply to just "gold coins" ? The question could be asked of all/any valuable finds, eh ? Another factor is who owns the creek on/in which it was found ? City ? County ? State ? Fed ? private ?

Probably lost & found laws apply, when/if the value exceeds a set criteria value. Usually somewhere between $100 to $200-ish value. And the law doesn't define HOW an item is valued (intrinsic vs collector vs face value).

But I've never found any gold coins, so I wouldn't know :)

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very few people would ever know where I found a gold coin.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find any coins or valuables at all don't forget to claim them on taxes so you can be legal....then they would be yours....:laughing7:

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet !!
Care to post a pic or two of gold coins you have found in the areas you mentioned?
BTW, no need to write in CAPS; we consider that shouting.
Don........

If I find a gold coin I will shout. :laughing7:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They must catch you before they can hang you and if you dont tell them, how will they ever know?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it would have to be the same as finding a coin in a public park- it's mine if I find it.
Would you send the state an arrowhead you found?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think it would have to be the same as finding a coin in a public park- it's mine if I find it....

Jeff, really ? Try this then: If you find a crisp low-circulation 1916 D merc, or 1901 S barber quarter, then do the following test of your statement: Take the coin into city hall at your city. Tell them:

"Hi. I found this in *your* park. It's worth $10,000 . Can I keep it for my own fun and profit to sell on ebay ? Or does it belong in the city museum or city coffers?"

I think you would find out the coin is not "yours". Hence .... Hurry ..... go do the right thing. :occasion14:

Would you send the state an arrowhead you found?
And here's what you need to do, to make sure you're in compliance with all public land Indian artifacts you find: Take that arrowhead to the most militant indian tribe type persons you can find (the ones who have a hissy fit if an Indian bone is bothered). Hold up the arrow head and say:

"Hi. I found this in the public park. Can I keep it for my own cool collection or to sell on ebay ? "

Then sit back and bask in their reply . After all, it's your *duty* to make sure that every last conceivable person is ok with your actions. And that every last person feels those objects are legally yours to keep. Ok. Go make us proud now !!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When it comes to the law a lot of us put our hands over our ears and yell na na na na na I can't hear you!!!
Like Tom pointed out people here post pictures of arrow heads they found. They probably violated the Antiquities Act if they collected on public lands.
I'm amazed when hearing of the rules in some other countries. I don't like rules much. Especially the ones I don't like.

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Historical diggers, not an unreasonable question. Seeing by your machines, your not a newbie by no means. I would like you to goggle Georgia laws on such. Guarantee their some from days of ole on mining streams etc. There are laws to parks etc.

Knowing the laws you will be able to confront the screamers and the know it all when your knees are in the water. Or you come up for air/break time.

Good luck in finding the pot of gold.

Humanbackhoe

Apr 18, 2018
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is if you found the gold coin at a bank with a gun, you might need to return it and possibly do 3 to 5 in a county lock up.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember getting a State Park metal detecting permit and reading it over. There was a line that said:

YOU MUST TURN IN ANY FINDS WORTH MORE THAN $20 TO THE PARKS DEPARTMENT.

I don't think I ever laughed that hard before.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome here. There are many funny comments here. You are lucky to find gold coins anywhere. Just tell your wife or girlfriend or both. Nobody else except our Uncle Sam. Good luck.

Csonka3174

Jul 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will admit I would tell NOBODY and keep them, heck I never knew such a law could be on the books anyways, but I am very impressed to see such honesty these days. I have much respect for you, I know very few people with even close to that kind of character.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread