Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Through some hard work I was able to find some claims in Nevada that had been closed by the BLM due to non-payment.

I went out and staked the claims just like the law says and paid the fees.

The claims are now mine but the previous owner has contacted the BLM and is upset he lost the claims.

I feel bad for the guy but the Mining Law is quite clear on the process.

Don't like having someone upset with me as I mine a claim I rightfully obtained.

Thoughts?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like you, I would feel badly for the other fellow as well. Still, as
you state you did your due diligence and now rightfully hold the
claims.

Clearly, your actions fall under the "if ya snooze, ya lose" section
of the legal code. Rules is rules.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You might also consider meeting with and finding out a little more about your mining neighbors, if any of these new claims butt up against or are near yours. Could be that someone has gotten forgetful, has health or other issues, etc. It's possible that if the circumstances were good and if it didn't hurt you to lose the claim, to let the neighbor regain their claim.

There's no wrong answer here. As stated, you did your due diligence and followed the law, so no harm no foul. However, seems I remember you posting that you're not always in the area and sometimes have other people prospecting on your claim. If I'm not getting things mixed up (AGAIN!!), it might just be worth your while to consider looking into this further. In the end, the choice is totally up to you, and if things end up getting heated here in debate, I wouldn't even bother with informing us about your final decision.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you are in the right, it is to bad for him, it may have been his mistake by not paying attention. I bought my claim some years ago, and it is up to ME, to keep paperwork current on yearly basis, if not, I could lose the claim, and the $'s I paid for it. What's good for me is a woman who works the local mining shop, who has forgotten more about rule's & reg's than any BLM person seems to know, is ON us every year to file. She is Golden herself. Again, you ARE in the right. It's OK to feel bad for him perhaps, but it is what it is.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe offer him pay-to-play on your claim if he is that tore up about losing it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with # 5 since you let others mine on your claims. Good hunting and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread