Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Craigslist Scam

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    1781 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Purchase anything in person, and good luck.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    1787 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vpnavy View Post
    I hope they catch the scumbag and put him in a jail cell with someone that hates his guts!
    Better yet, throw him in general population and hang a child molester & snitch jacket on him! Bet the taxpayers would only have to pay for two weeks to house & feed him!

Seriously! the lady was kind of dumb. If you're familiar with CL you know they have warnings all over about this very thing. I personally don't deal with anyone out of state. I give them the address of the local cop shop for the meet. Sure is an easy way to weed out the crooks when buying or selling!
    Honest Samuel and wygold like this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    wygold

May 2016
    Chula Vista, Ca.
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kingskid1611 View Post
    I choose only to meet in person if buying on craigslist or offerup. I have had many attempt to purchase from me that "just left the area on vacation" I laugh and say contact me again when you get back........
    Same here, most of the time I will ask the person to meet me at the local police department, half of the potential buyers do show up at the police station, the other half have refused and no sale to them.
    jeff of pa likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2017
    Indiana
    Fisher F22, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett AT pinpointer
    89 times
    Anytime I buy from Craigslist I ask if they have a problem meeting at a police station in the area if they have a problem with it then it's a scam... Protect yourself out there people are CRAZY!
    jeff of pa and Honest Samuel like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    242 times
    Relic Hunting
    One has to be very careful these days. In the last little while we had a gentleman murdered as he sat in his truck attempting to sell a drone to two teens. They simply shot and murdered the man and robbed him. Just last week another man was shot sitting in his car again, attempting to sell an item to two teens. This time it was caught on camera. One teen turns to walk away from the car, spins and pulls a weapon from his waistband and returns to the car firing into the car hitting the driver several times. Both of these instances were in the metro Atlanta area. Now is the time for some urban renewal. Where is General Sherman when you most need him? Lol If you buy and sell on CL be SAFE.
    Honest Samuel and Coil-2-Soil like this.

us
    Frank

Jun 2013
    Jefferson City, Tennessee
    JW Fisher Pulse 8X; Minelab CTX 3030 & Sovereign Elite; White's GMT, Beach Hunter Id, Surf PI, Coinmaster Classic II, 6000 Di S2, an old GM 66-T with 5 coils & GM 65-T with 3 coils.
    3932 times
    Gold and Gem prospecting & Error/Variety Coin Research/Searching/Consulting and Collecting.
    Just a little over a week ago, I had two Scammers try to scam me out of money and possibly out of two out of the three German WWII Era Scopes I have listed on Craigslist. I warned them ahead of time that I don't fall for scams but they persisted and insisted it was not a scam. I went along with it but as soon as I got the checks on Wednesday I knew they were bogus. One check appeared to be a personal check from a Dentist in Washington State and the other appeared to be a Cashier's Check written on a Bank in Minnesota. I called the Dentist's Office and the Bank to verify that they were counterfeits. I then played the two Suckas (Scammers) by saying that I had to leave town early Wednesday (before the mail ran) and would not be back until Friday but would deposit the checks as soon as possible on Friday. Needless to say, I was compiling the information to turn it over to the Postmaster here since it is extremely difficult to submit all of the info to the FBI Cyber Crime (www.IC3.gov) link for victims. On Friday, I told the Scammers that I had deposited the checks and would have to wait until they cleared but instead turned over all of the evidence to the Postmaster here. It was clear at times that I was dealing with different persons than the original Scammer due to somewhat repeating requests and not replying back to what I had written in texts. I can only assume that they must work in teams, have different scamming work hours and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing or has done. I played them until late Saturday, then really blasted them with the gig is up. One wrote back FU, you wasted my time to which I wrote that it was my pleasure as it might save some unsuspecting person from being scammed and that they could F themselves. The other just went into Craigslist and flagged my Ad for the scope to which gives the Postal Service Investigators and the FBI another way to track them down.

Frank
    Last edited by huntsman53; Aug 27, 2017 at 12:52 PM.
    Tom_in_CA and cudamark like this.
    U.S. Army Veteran (Nov. 27, 1972 to Mar. 30, 1978) and Federal Government Employee (Nov. 19, 1978 to Jul. 30, 2011), now retired with a total Federal Service of 38 years and 15 days. I am a Coin Collector, Searcher & Researcher at heart with main interests in Error & Variety Coins. I also love Gold and Gem Prospecting, Metal Detecting when and where I can, Ginseng and Herb Hunting, Long Range Shooting, Hunting and Fishing as well as research on Spanish Shipwrecks.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    242 times
    Relic Hunting
    I hope this team of Scammer's are caught and handled appropriately. You did good playing them along while compiling the information for the postmaster. This is justice in the truest form.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6794 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    Just a little over a week ago, I had two Scammers try to scam me out of money ....
    Frank, great story. Good on you for harassing them. Thanx for posting.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Frank

Jun 2013
    Jefferson City, Tennessee
    JW Fisher Pulse 8X; Minelab CTX 3030 & Sovereign Elite; White's GMT, Beach Hunter Id, Surf PI, Coinmaster Classic II, 6000 Di S2, an old GM 66-T with 5 coils & GM 65-T with 3 coils.
    3932 times
    Gold and Gem prospecting & Error/Variety Coin Research/Searching/Consulting and Collecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by devldog View Post
    I hope this team of Scammer's are caught and handled appropriately. You did good playing them along while compiling the information for the postmaster. This is justice in the truest form.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Frank, great story. Good on you for harassing them. Thanx for posting.

Thanks devldog and Tom! I hope they are caught as well and justice is served! After getting one Scammer put away and the FBI hot on the trail of another one more than 6 years ago, I kind of got lax in taking the time to turn them in because the amount of time and trouble it sometimes takes to put the evidence together and send it to the appropriate Law Enforcement Agencies. I used to be able to deal directly with an FBI Agent and mail plus email the evidence to him but due to work overload, the FBI has cut that out and want me to use the Cyber Crime Reporting link I noted above. The problem with that, is 1) I am not a victim and 2) it is impossible to send all of the evidence to anyone using that link.

Frank
    U.S. Army Veteran (Nov. 27, 1972 to Mar. 30, 1978) and Federal Government Employee (Nov. 19, 1978 to Jul. 30, 2011), now retired with a total Federal Service of 38 years and 15 days. I am a Coin Collector, Searcher & Researcher at heart with main interests in Error & Variety Coins. I also love Gold and Gem Prospecting, Metal Detecting when and where I can, Ginseng and Herb Hunting, Long Range Shooting, Hunting and Fishing as well as research on Spanish Shipwrecks.

us
    Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    73 times
    all I have to say is : where is the compassion in the world today. this lady is probably the sweetest lady any of you would want to meet. she would probably do anything for a stranger. even U maybe she needed one of you to go over to her house with your gun and wait for the scammers to come over. I used to be stupid. yep stick my neck out for friends just to get it chopped off ! so don't anybody ask me for a favor anymore. DUMB DUMB DUMB do stupid people know they're stupid. do alcoholics know they have a problem ? do drug attics know they have a problem ? not until its too late. your all just big rough and tuff bad guys. just my 2 pennys.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2007
    81007 Colorado
    Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Schiebel AN19/2, Garrett Recon Pro AML 1000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
    531 times
    Metal Detecting
    Always tell them you don't have a bank account. Then tell them that you need $20 cash to open said account. With an account you can deposit their check! Just keep the $20 they send you.
    huntsman53 and Slingshot like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links