Federal Government Gold Robberies

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
We all have heard/read the stories: 1882 Army Payroll Robbery, etc.

I need assistance in sorting out whether or not it is in my (or anyone's) best interest to spend time and money trying to locate and recover gold/silver that was stolen from any branch of the Federal Government. (My question assumes that the stolen gold/silver has been located, but nothing else has been done.) Finders keepers?

Does the government have a standing position on these matters (i.e., more than 100 years old, government releases claim to it - less than 100 years, government retains claim to it)?

Do the feds maintain a listing of all Federal Government unrecovered robberies? Website?

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
The finder’s keeper’s law only applies to Maritime activities. It still belongs to the Government. However, they normally pay a finders fee, the FBI maintains lost and stolen money records.

You may get somewhere using the Freedom of Information Act in order to get that information directly from the FBI. Is it worth it, yeah. But before I started hunting for Gov money I would find out how much the recovery reword is, if there is any.

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Good info Ant. I already checked both the US Army & FBI websites. Neither have much info. FBI docs go back to about 1909. Before that- zippo. US Army has docs from 1780's on, but nothing about payroll robberies or gold shipment robberies. I'll keep looking....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread