So if I find a lot of gold coins circa cival war era (or gold buillion) ......

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a really old thread...But I thought I should add my 2 cents...lol

Anyhow...There is a possibility that it could be the property of the Mexican govt...I seem to recall reading about an incursion into Mexico by some American raiders in the past...And IF my memory serves me correctly...They stole a large amount of riches from Monterrey I believe and it is rumored that they buried the riches in an old corral in Texas...But I could be wrong...It has been over 30 plus years since I read said tale...

So, good luck...

Ed T:)

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I looked in this forum but I could not find the answer.

I live in Texas and if I find a lot of gold coins circa civil war era (or gold buillion) why shouldn't I tell the state of Texas or the IRS?

If there is a link with the answer, you can just give me a link.

Because between the both of them, they take it all. Shut up and talk to your lawyer. TommB is correct

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a simpler solution: Send me those gold coins. I will make sure they go through the proper channels and get to the proper authority. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt.

No.... don't thank me. It's the least I can do for a fine fellow forumite hobbyist like you ! :occasion14:

Your friends miss you, hope they will let you come back.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have every right to tell either or both. They will simply relieve you of your finds and tax you for your effort
VERY well said TommyB

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money you get, by whatever means, eventually cannot be hidden. There are paper trails. The year a trove as you have described is taxable in the YEAR YOU GOT IT, not necessarily when you sell it. And if you fail to do that, someone eventually will get a visit from the feds. Fortunately for me, I never found the "big one" and at this stage probably never will. And if I did, I would have it appraised, sell it and give the gov't their due. That way no one ever will come to my house demanding their "share".

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've traded gold and silver for cash money when I needed a few bucks to like get a dang near now thousand dollar set of new tires. I've never asked the person who buys the pm's how he deals with his transactions and the irs.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Sell a gold coin once in a while over a long period of time and only use that money to buy gold jewelry. After 30 years or more, now you have lots of gold jewelry that will be worth even more now. Then, when it comes time to retire, you sell your gold jewelry off in portions over time and the government can’t touch one cent of your money that you make from selling your own jewelry. Done!!

Last edited:

AirCavBob

Jan 31, 2023
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Bartender in Florida told me a story. He has worked many bars over the years. Story is; one older guy always paid his small tab with a one hundred bill. Every bill he paid with was printed in the same year.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selling over a 30 year period sounds OK, except for me, I'm 70. Thirty year thing will not work, HOWEVER, box em' up in flat rate boxes, send to a go between in England, turn them in under their Treasure Trove laws, split the money, no wait, I'm not a politician, that would be wrong, right? No matter, havn't found a big bunch of gold coins or bars. Only one gold coin, and only one gold nugget in 35+ years. I'm good.

Dejure

Nov 30, 2023
Here's a simpler solution: Send me those gold coins. I will make sure they go through the proper channels and get to the proper authority. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt.

No.... don't thank me. It's the least I can do for a fine fellow forumite hobbyist like you ! :occasion14:
I put them in the mail about five years ago. Did you get them yet?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I put them in the mail about five years ago. Did you get them yet?
You're not going to be hearing from Tom.
He is no longer a member on the forum.
Screenshot_20240117_191354_Chrome.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread