So if I find a lot of gold coins circa cival war era (or gold buillion) ......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here's a simpler solution: Send me those gold coins. I will make sure they go through the proper channels and get to the proper authority. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt.

No.... don't thank me. It's the least I can do for a fine fellow forumite hobbyist like you ! :occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I looked in this forum but I could not find the answer.

I live in Texas and if I find a lot of gold coins circa civil war era (or gold buillion) why shouldn't I tell the state of Texas or the IRS?

If there is a link with the answer, you can just give me a link.

I'm hoping to have that dilemma too! :laughing7:

OP
OP
B

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a simpler solution: Send me those gold coins. I will make sure they go through the proper channels and get to the proper authority. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt.

No.... don't thank me. It's the least I can do for a fine fellow forumite hobbyist like you ! :occasion14:

Sure, will do....once I get my money from that prince in Africa that emailed me....hahaha

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the end of the day, if you sell those items you will have to report it as earned money for that years taxes. If it's worth millions, expect to be paying through your teeth.

If you don't report it... the government could and likely will come after you.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find a cache of gold coins, that's cool! When you find out what you are expected to pay in taxes for finding it, that's not cool! Google "Couple that found $10 million in gold coins will have to pay how much in taxes?"

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
If you find a cache of gold coins, that's cool! When you find out what you are expected to pay in taxes for finding it, that's not cool! Google "Couple that found $10 million in gold coins will have to pay how much in taxes?"
This case still makes me wonder if a good lawyer could have changed the outcome. They found $20 gold coins. With a face value of course, of $20 each. That's what they should be taxed on until they sell them, not the current value which we all know can vary widely depending on condition, wholesale or retail pricing, etc. Any armchair lawyers in the group ? Tom ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...Any armchair lawyers in the group ? Tom ?

Haha. As long as you don't mean "armchair" in a derisive sense. Doh! Because, read and weep, I'm only quoting what the IRS and *real* lawyers themselves said about the case you're referring to:

Couple That Found $10 Million in Gold Coins Will Have to Hand Over HOW MUCH in Taxes? ? TheBlaze

As you can see in that article:

a) They are taxable WHETHER OR NOT SOLD, and ...

b) no, they're not taxed at the face value ($5, $10, $20, etc...) of each coin. They're taxed on the MARKET VALUE.

Not saying I like it either. And sure, I suppose someone could "try to keep it a secret" and sell them on-the-sly, and off-the-books. But there are pitfalls to that: If someone who's paying you, pays over $600 in a calendar year, they might elect to follow the laws on their end, and issue you a 1099. Then the govt. will "come looking for you" at tax season asking for their cut. So to be "off-the-books", you'd have to make sure that whomever you're selling to is not reporting it (or "cooking books" on their end).

In my company for example, we could be subject to an audit . And it's *possible* (though not likely) that an auditor could "flag" payments to an individual, and want to see proof of what those outgoing $$ went to. And if they were items that *should* have been subject to a 1099, then *theoretically* we could be asked to fix up the records (along with whatever hand-slap accompanied it). And thus, I suppose, a year or two later, the IRS could be appraised of $$ that went to particular destinations (buying gold coins). And then , in theory, someone could come knocking on the md'rs door even years later. But all this is sort of a remote "follow the dots" sort of thing. And I could imagine would only occur in big ticket money transactions.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

Sure, will do....once I get my money from that prince in Africa that emailed me....hahaha

I have a win win for both of you, I can drive them up to Tom while you wait for your money to come through.

I seriously do not mind at all.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Bottom line, If you sell do you want to be worried about this the rest of your life. Every time you open the door or walking to the mail box. Best to get a good lawyer and report it. My opinion.

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well others have covered the moral high ground. Be a good little serf and pony up to feed the 10,000 headed hydra the sucks the life outa every American alive and yet to be born.

Im the 13th man.

I am going to assume its a purely monetary thing. ( if u want historic fame by all means, tell every one!!)

Let me state first IF this was a permission find you need to trun it over to the owner of the land.

Public land, differant story!

Keeping it and nickle and Dimming it out to better your life, yup thats it! Dont pay the Feds a DIME!!
State gets ZERO!

Penny pinch to a nice life, buy used cars/trucks/rv.. melt it down ingots.. send a few to a rare coin dealer to be preserved, donate to the Shriners, etc etc...

But its a chance to live!!

Take it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I looked in this forum but I could not find the answer.

I live in Texas and if I find a lot of gold coins circa civil war era (or gold buillion) why shouldn't I tell the state of Texas or the IRS?

If there is a link with the answer, you can just give me a link.
No need to tell the great state of Texas unless it the treasures in on state land. Pertaining to IRS, only report after you sell your treasures, or off to jail you will go.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
1099's....ha!

Like I'm giving my real social security number to a gold coin buyer. :occasion14:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
1099's....ha!

Like I'm giving my real social security number to a gold coin buyer. :occasion14:

Not me either.

Deft Tones and Honest Samuel, you guys are despicable! I'm sure there is a law about providing false SS #'s, eh ? Hence, as such, your names are being reported to T'net mod's in-lieu of this mandate:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/362060-obey-laws.html

How could you stoop so low ?? Oh, and btw: That's a great idea. I have always made sure just to send in no more than $600 to any-one smelter/buyer in a calendar year (because $600 is the threshold for where they'd theoretically use your SS# for a 1099 form). But it never occurred to me that I could simply use another SS#. Hmmmm.

Not that I would ever condone such lowly tasteless behavior. But .... just sayin ' ..... :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread