What are the federal laws in USA regarding finding a buried coin cache?

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original poster has never posted again so I assume she took the money and run :dontknow:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The original poster has never posted again so I assume she took the money and run
Or number 2....Looking and waiting for somebody to run their mouths about an object,cache,etc,that they found that was worth a lot so the op(maybe a irs agent)could turn them in for the reward.A percentage of what the person owes is given to a snitch.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Above are my first two posts to this thread.

ahhh, but you're no fun seabee ron :( If it wasn't for person's beating dead horse's like us, then ........ what would forums come to ?? haha

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, did anybody check to see the original poster never posted anything again, here, anywhere?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, did anybody check to see the original poster never posted anything again, here, anywhere?
Doesn't really matter since many members travel.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, doesn't really matter, but dialog is fun.

mtcowboy81

Jan 25, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess my biggest question would be if you have been searching for a certain treasure for 5 years and have all receipts of fuel purchases, books on the subject, batteries for your detector, and any other expenditures can you claim that against your tax bill? Or would you just be able to claim what you spent in the year you paid the taxes? I know for lottery wins or gambling wins you can claim a deduction for money spent on losing tickets or losing bets for that year.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you registered with Colorado as a treasure hunting business or are you just a guy that hunts for treasure? Expense deductions for operating costs are usually limited to business deductions. If you aren't an actual business that hunts treasure then it's a hobby.

I could be wrong too.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you do own a business and it's not treasure related, slap a sticker on your detector or truck for "advertising" and your business can sponsor your hunts. It's all a write off as advertising technically. I did that to travel around and race dirt bikes for years. My business sponsored me and paid for it all tax free.
I was a sub chapter s Corp so your situation might be different.

Last edited:

mtcowboy81

Jan 25, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I left part of the hypothetical info out. If you find something of value then can you deduct any expenses in finding it from the taxable amount?

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I left part of the hypothetical info out. If you find something of value then can you deduct any expenses in finding it from the taxable amount?
How I would do it is form a business for a few dollars, so that I could buy a new car...write off the gas expenses for the car, detector, special clothing & tools. Once the business is formed as a corporation I would carry forward my "losses" from year to year until I made the big find. Again, that is how I would do it.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only if you own a business and can claim the expenses as operating costs for that specific year as far as I know. Previous years expenses would be claimed on previous year's taxes. You can't save up years of expenses and cash them in at once, they don't do that or at least I haven't heard of it before.
Be careful how you do this because if you play their game you agree to the consequences and false info makes you a criminal when you sign your name. That's how they get people, self incrimination.
Maybe there's a tax attorney that can answer this on tnet haha. I'm no expert on the details these days. I gave up that madness over ten years ago so things could have changed in that arena.

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what i understand, and i understand very little, you can write off the business expenses but you have to show a profit after a specified amount of time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions