What are the federal laws in USA regarding finding a buried coin cache?

bbrosen

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2017
Dallas, Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a Dinosaur Hunter that just recently got my first Detector. I have dug dinosaur bones since I was 9 or so...Watch the Documentary Dinosaur 13. A private Fossil hunting company found an almost complete T Rex, and once the land owner, even after their agreement, found out it was worth millions, all bets were off and a Legal Battle began, to make matters worse, even though it was private land, and the land owner gave permission and an agreement, the land was in a Federal Trust for Native Americans, they got involved of course, and it went from bad to worse. It may show you there are no hard and fast answers and it's never cut and dry. It's very eye opening. I for one, will keep my mouth shut, even to the land owner if possible, say, well had a bad day , and go home. Only me would know, other wise, you will never see anything from your find.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always get permission from land owners, private and government. Always pay federal income taxes.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's up with you and your tax advice haha. If you hired a roofer to roof your house and he never showed up would you send him a check every week for the rest of your life?
You probably would is my guess.

The slave mentality has never made any nation great.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....The slave mentality has....

Samuel's admonition is commendable for taxes on our paychecks, purchases at the stores, etc.... After all: you partake of government services. But when it comes to items lost and forgotten 150 years ago, I would agree with you.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I look at it is that taxes were already paid in the past on new items and earned money. Paying taxes again and again on the same items just seems wrong to me.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Already did that years ago and have saved myself much grief and $$ so far. Way ahead of the curve!
The only tool they have is the uneducated fear from the sheeple and they use it all they can to keep the donations rolling in.

Of course there's give and take and it's not easy but anything in life worth doing takes work.
Most people don't realize what it takes to attain true freedom and they sure ain't gonna give up anything material for it. That's way too much to ask of the average American these days haha.
Or do it the easy way and send them lots of your money and keep on financing the beast and feeling hopeless hehe. I don't like that feeling but to some trading the feeling of "security" is better.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tax history in the US is very interesting for anyone to learn and the fact that most citizens paid no income taxes until the 40's and 50's, the govt was fully funded and operable for over 100 yrs before that, although not the behemoth it is now. Before that the richest and the corps.paid all of it.
Like most things important, you aren't taught about this racket in school.
It's a built up fear passed on through generations.

Not to bag on anyone, we are all in the same sinking boat here haha. I just prefer to use my saved $$ for anything else.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bet most people would be surprised how much they really give to the govt between all the separate taxes they pay. Close to 50 percent for some big spenders I'd guess!
That's an awful lot of money to pay for perpetual failure.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anything dealing with the irs is voluntary, that's the sad part. People everyday all across America complain about the corruption and the debt yet they continue to finance it.
Makes no sense to me either man. It's pure insanity. They will wake up when they realize they are deep under the bus and there's no one to save them.
The large majority of citizens never suffers for anything and they only consume, figuring someone else will suffer for them.

Not being political, just in general.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Anything dealing with the irs is voluntary,.....

Or .... they have a phone call in "tip" line for scoff-laws. And rumor has it that you found $20.00 in md'ing clad. That you haven't paid proper income taxes on. But for a mere $10.00 I can be persuaded not to call the authorities to tip them off to Johnnybravo's ill-gotten gain (I accept paypal). :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions