New York State - All minerals belong to the state and must be surrendered?

tangoking

Jun 10, 2009
Word on the street is that prospecting, rockhounding, and speculating in New York State is pointless, because of some obscure old law on the books stating that everything found in New York State belongs to the state, and must be surrendered.

I've been digging through New York State law, and can't find it.
Article 23 - MINERAL RESOURCES :: 2016 New York Laws :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Can anyone actually specify the statute, or is this some urban legend?

Thanks, tk :D

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better to dig through soil and rocks than the laws. Herkimer diamonds are collected and sold everywhere, found in NY. Keep looking for laws and you'll be hiding in your bedroom afraid to go out and living your life through the darn computer. I'm from NJ, if I read every law telling me what I couldn't do I'd be paranoid.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locatable minerals can only be "located", or claimed on public domain land. Land that has never left Federal ownership. Most of the lands in the Eastern United States are aquired lands.

Homar

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I wouldn't be surprised if such a law is on the books in New York state (or other states too). And wouldn't be surprised if such a law could be construed to mean coins, as well as nuggets. But for that matter, isn't the also a law that says you can't spit on the sidewalks in New York city ? Or laws still on the books about how can't ride your horse over XX miles per hour, etc... ?

Hence rather than go by crazy laws (and rare archies that "may care") about them, instead go by the "law" of: "Does anyone really care". Presto, problem solved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread