Bullion as Coinage?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really ? This is crazy. I went to Mexico a couple of times. And I had (uh... "exported") whatever loose change it was in my pocket at the time. Sheesk, good thing I didn't face that "10 yrs. in prison", eh ? Or maybe it was 'cuz I didn't bring them with intent to smelt down ?

As for the supposed fines and jail, you're right: You'd be hard-pressed to find a mexican scrap metal smelter who would turn you in. And I'll bet you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who EVER got "$10k fine" or "10 yrs. in prison" for it. If there IS an example of that, it's either a fluke, or someone being a total obvious nuisance.

As usual, you mock the laws which you refuse to even research for yourself.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with that plan. There is a U.S. law against exporting coins. Exporting pennies or nickles has been illegal since 2007. $10,000 fine and 10 years in Federal prison should you ever choose to return to the U.S.

So now you know of a law.

But Hey! I'm sure none of those Mexican scrap dealers would turn you in ...right?.

Interesting link to a relatively new (and as I read it, temporary) regulation. Looks like us peons have a right to export $5 or $25 face value depending on our perceived intent, but, the Federal Reserve can export all they want. Considering that the law was imposed because of national supply concerns, I find that to be more than a bit hypocritical. Regardless, I still maintain that our current coins have intrinsic value, pitiful as they may be, whether that be through legal or illegal means.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I have no doubt it's a law. That part was not in dispute. As for "mocking the law", yeah, I'll admit that's what I did. By all mean's don't export wheel-barrels full of copper pennies to Mexico to smelt. Truth be told: It's not profitable anyhow . After the effort/cost of transportation and time.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... because of national supply concerns, I find that to be more than a bit hypocritical. .....

"national" concerns, vs a single wheel-barrel : makes no difference. The law is a law. Whether "hypocritical" or logical or not: Be careful that you are not accused of "mocking the law". Eh ?

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wish is for the US to stop minting pennies, and paper $1 and $2 dollar bills. They are a total waste of money, also it would be better for us coin shooters:occasion14:

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"national" concerns, vs a single wheel-barrel : makes no difference. The law is a law. Whether "hypocritical" or logical or not: Be careful that you are not accused of "mocking the law". Eh ?

I Mock the Dot gov. Aholes at Every Opportunity, they are On my Schlit list, besides THEY can NOT be trusted for anything.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I believe Most in America are conditioned to Kiss Gov. Butt on a daily basis, However, after living in Alaska and Being truly as free as one can be, I do Not put up with Gov. I DEFY them, Hold my Gun rights dear and am willing to die for my principals.

By the way, if any of you DO find a Ton of Gold, I can make it into saleable jewelry, rings, blanks, etc so you can make the most of what you find.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, I believe Most in America are conditioned to Kiss Gov. Butt on a daily basis, However, after living in Alaska and Being truly as free as one can be, I do Not put up with Gov. I DEFY them, Hold my Gun rights dear and am willing to die for my principals.

By the way, if any of you DO find a Ton of Gold, I can make it into saleable jewelry, rings, blanks, etc so you can make the most of what you find.

gold-finger450, I'm not an anarchist. And I can appreciate the laws we have here (even though ... yes, sometimes silly and onerous). For example: If you went md'ing in Mexico, you would see beautiful historic ruins that are not protected in any way (barring a few examples). And you'd see pollution with no restraints on grand levels (people just dump garbage over the nearest cliff), blah blah blah. It really makes you appreciate the laws and lack-of-same-corruption levels here.

HOWEVER: When it comes to md'ing, I guess I have a calloused conscience WHEN it comes to "spirit of the law" situations. So for example: NFS or BLM *in the middle of nowhere*, as it concerns that buffalo nickel or barber dime that would otherwise rot-till-eternity, is NOT the same as "pillaging shiloh or bodie" in my book.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
My wish is for the US to stop minting pennies, and paper $1 and $2 dollar bills. They are a total waste of money, also it would be better for us coin shooters:occasion14:

On a related note, the government has shown an interest in both getting rid of both the cent and the $1 bill in the past. Bills that call for getting rid of the cent never make it to a vote - the work of zinc industry lobbyists, I'm told. As for $1 coins, the government calculated how much money would be saved if we exchanged dollar bills for dollar coins (somewhere in the hundreds of millions of dollars IIRC) and have pushed hard to get Americans to accept them. Ever noticed all those newer vending machines that not only accept dollar coins, but also give them back to you in change? That wasn't an accident. Unfortunately for them (and us), consumers have continued to stubbornly reject them.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom's not alone on this one. I'll mock, complain, and yes, even defy laws I think are ridiculous. I think that's our right and duty as a U.S. citizen. I also love to tweak the tails of those who think the government should run our lives instead of the other way around. Anyone who has read any amount of history knows that people giving up freedoms for some perceived amount of safety will end up with neither.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom's not alone on this one. I'll mock, complain, and yes, even defy laws I think are ridiculous. I think that's our right and duty as a U.S. citizen. I also love to tweak the tails of those who think the government should run our lives instead of the other way around. Anyone who has read any amount of history knows that people giving up freedoms for some perceived amount of safety will end up with neither.

I have no problem with people who recognize the law and make decision to follow it or not. If you want to be a pocket-change pirate, go forth and be the best. It does irk me a tiny bit when people mock something by using a reductio ad absurdum argument.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... It does irk me a tiny bit when people mock something by using a reductio ad absurdum argument.

Jason, ANY line of rationale, to mock-the-law, is reductio ad absurdum. Well, I mean: There technically is NO justification to break or mock laws. Even spitting on sidewalk laws.

But when does it end ? I bet that any place in the USA that you hunt , on any speck of public land, that I can find some law you are in violation of. Or some bureaucrat who could stand on one foot, squint, and decide "you can't do that". It could be lost & found laws. It could be alter and deface laws. It could be harvest and remove clauses. It could be cultural heritage laws. So at a certain point, YES: There comes a time when the md'r HAS to decide if he's going to go by technicalities, vs the spirit of the law (or the "does anyone really care?" test of the law). Is that right ? NO ! Is that "reductio ad absurdum" YES !

And I'll be the first to admit I'm probably the chief instigator of the forum locker-room-talk (ie.: mocking) of this. Trust me: I wish it wasn't this way. I DO wish that red carpets were rolled out for me, just as you or the next guy does.

And I never fudge on my taxes, I keep my word, I won't lie, etc.... However, on the subject of md'ing, yes, I'm guilty as charged. I do admit to a calloused conscience. Is it excusable ? No. And I respect someone's decision to "not step off the sidewalk". Ie.: those that will avoid a park that has boiler plate alter and deface verbiage, or that consider an isolated "scram" to be law.

The only reason it's a bee in my bonnet, is that I've seen first hand where someone goes from "being skittish" (which is fine and commendable) to going and asking "can I?". I've seen the latter open up cans of worms where none existed before. Yeah yeah, I'm probably exaggerating, I know. Ok, sorry, I'll get off my soap box now .

Last edited:

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’ve said way too much my friend. If it’s going to give nightmares get a hold of me and I’ll be happy to take it off your hands so you can sleep at night!! Lol. Good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem with people who recognize the law and make decision to follow it or not. If you want to be a pocket-change pirate, go forth and be the best. It does irk me a tiny bit when people mock something by using a reductio ad absurdum argument.

I thought that was one of the main purposes of a forum, to pose responses from the sublime to the absurd. I don't think (at lease I hope not) that anyone is using this discussion as sound legal advice. Getting a variety of thoughts might give you a line of thinking that you might not have come up with yourself. :icon_thumleft:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that was one of the main purposes of a forum, to pose responses from the sublime to the absurd. I don't think (at lease I hope not) that anyone is using this discussion as sound legal advice. Getting a variety of thoughts might give you a line of thinking that you might not have come up with yourself. :icon_thumleft:

Absolutely! This is just one of those pet-peeve things that flares up from time to time. Its not about being silly, or legal advice, and finding new ways to see topics is what discussion is all about. For ME, its just when people belittle a topic, concept, or law, its mockery and an attempt to shut down all further conversation which is why is bothers me.

This isnt even anything against Tom in CA, hes a good guy. I like most of his posts, but I also disagree with him at times and I equal give praise and criticism.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey, someone's gotta be the bee-in-bonnet voice of the "other extreme".

To balance out with the skittish folk and come to a happy medium, haha. :occasion18:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions