Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ncsilverspider
  • 1 Post By Honest Samuel

Thread: Question about hunting downtown Thomasville, NC

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jesus Christ is the REAL treasure to find!

Jul 2011
    Rowan County, NC
    Whites Prizim III
    108 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Question about hunting downtown Thomasville, NC

Does anyone on here know the laws, if any, of metal detecting downtown Thomasville? Specifically the strip of grass between the road and the double track railroad that runs through there? Obviously you can't hunt along the RR ROW but can you even hunt those strips at all? Any ideas ?

Blessings,
    ncsilverspider

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matt. 6:21”
    Honest Samuel likes this.
    My Best Finds:1942 Walking Liberty Half, 2 Barber Quarters
    6 Standing Liberty Quarters, 1 Washington Quarter 3 Barber Dimes, 6 Mercury Dimes, 5 Roosevelt Dimes, 53 Wheat Pennies, 1 189? Indian Head, 6 three ringers (1 pain) CW Union Officer Coat Button, many early 1900 bottles

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8479 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsilverspider View Post
    Does anyone on here know the laws, if any, of metal detecting downtown Thomasville? Specifically the strip of grass between the road and the double track railroad that runs through there? Obviously you can't hunt along the RR ROW but can you even hunt those strips at all? Any ideas ?

Blessings,
    ncsilverspider

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matt. 6:21”
    I just looked at this on google satellite. This appears to be either A) Road right of way, or B) Railroad right of way. Thus anything you could find in that city's muni parks rules would not apply. Because it's not a "park". And I HIGHLY DOUBT there's some muni. code that says anything about detecting elsewhere. You're certainly welcome to check (if their muni code, charter, laws, etc.... are on the web). But I bet it's simply silent on the subject. Hence not disallowed.

Or you can knock yourself silly and try to find out where the RR right-of-way ends. By studying assessor's parcel maps, hiring surveyors, blah blah. Then get ahold of the railroad Co. and ask their permission, blah blah. But ... seriously now ... do you think anyone cares ? A look at the google man-on-the-street view of that shows that it appears to be just normal pedestrian walk zones (like an enlarged parking strip or grassy median).

If I were you, I'd just go. Don't overthink it

us
    Seriously?

Mar 2008
    WA
    Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
    898 times
    Do a little reading. https://library.municode.com/nc/thom..._of_ordinances

I skimmed a bit and from what I can gather (and I did not dig very deeply), the "sidewalk" is legally defined as the curb or edge of the road to the adjoining property line, meaning that that grass strip is technically part of the sidewalk. I saw a few prohibitions that were obviously corrective actions (no storing merchandise, no playing football, etc.) but nothing about metal detecting. You're probably fine, but I'd do a bit of my own research before trusting some stranger on the internet.
    Avatar taken from "The Biting Pear of Salamanca." See the original here: http://ursulav.deviantart.com/art/Th...manca-29677500

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8479 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rishar View Post
    Great link Dave. It has a key-word search function. I just did key word "metal". @ all the places where the word "metal" appears, none have anything to do with detectors or detecting. Next I tried variations of "detector" and "detecting". Same results: nothing to do with us (just stuff about smoke detectors, etc....).

Hence not disallowed. Go get 'em ncsilverspider

us

Jul 2011
    Rowan County, NC
    Whites Prizim III
    108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Great link Dave. It has a key-word search function. I just did key word "metal". @ all the places where the word "metal" appears, none have anything to do with detectors or detecting. Next I tried variations of "detector" and "detecting". Same results: nothing to do with us (just stuff about smoke detectors, etc....).

Hence not disallowed. Go get 'em ncsilverspider
    Thanks guys! A friend of mine owns a shop down there. I'm paying him a visit tomorrow and will probably hit the strip across from his store. Lovely place to watch trains as well. I appreciate all your looking it up and will keep you posted!
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    6 Standing Liberty Quarters, 1 Washington Quarter 3 Barber Dimes, 6 Mercury Dimes, 5 Roosevelt Dimes, 53 Wheat Pennies, 1 189? Indian Head, 6 three ringers (1 pain) CW Union Officer Coat Button, many early 1900 bottles

us

Jul 2011
    Rowan County, NC
    Whites Prizim III
    108 times
    Well, did a little hunt of the area across from my friends store while taking some train pics and came up with 30 cents modern clad, couple bullet shells, one flattened penny from a train and a key. So nothing fantastic

us

Jul 2011
    Rowan County, NC
    Whites Prizim III
    108 times
    Weather wasn't the best, but I did catch two freights while hunting, one northbound and one southbound. So it wasn't a total bust

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9125.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	1536263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9128.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	1536264
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2492 times
    The land between sidewalks and streets and roads belong to our towns and cities. Therefore you can search these lands.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links