Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I wish I had seen this post last Thursday!...

Nor-cal-Smitty, good to hear from you. What city you in ? I'm an hour south of San Jose.

.... permission to MD on soon to be covered up in concrete & asphalt empty lot city property ....

When it comes to oldtown demolition rip-outs, teardowns, scrapes, sidewalk demo's, etc... I just go. If you start asking, then it has to go past the legal dept. Then to a vote of the council, blah blah blah. And in this litigious age
we live in, guess what the answer is going to be ? Sure it takes some balls. Sure you might get a griper. But if you wait for red-carpets to be rolled out for you, then you might as well give up on all oldtown demolition projects.

....I had asked before what if any, are the regulations on MD in our city parks and was told not to dig up the sod, ...... I also received this in print to show any inquiry minds.....

I got news for you: Such verbiage, that in some way forbids "digging in the sod", exists at every single park in the USA. It might use those exact words. It might use the word "deface". It might use "alter". It might use "dig". It might use molest or vandalize or destroy, etc.... I do not construe any of them to forbid our activity. If they DID automatically mean that, then how is it that you can open the pages of T'net's "today's finds" section, and see NO SHORTAGE of guys posting their show & tell from parks ? I'll bet you they were not on top of the ground. I bet they had to dig them. But how can that be ??

Hence you were no doubt the latest victim of "no one cared till you asked" psychology. Someone envisions geeks with shovels, so they find something about dig and deface. But here's why I do not construe it to apply: If you cover your holes, and leave no trace, then you have not alterED or defacED or dUg anything. Right ? All such verbiages was OBVIOUSLY meant to apply to the end results. Will everyone on earth agree with those semantics ? No. So go at low traffic times and avoid such kill-joys.

NorCalSmitty

Mar 13, 2018
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH Land Ranger Pro:
BH Tracker IV:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oakley NorCal”

I live north of you in Oakley, right on the Delta at the Sacrament & San Jaoquin River confluence.

I am sure you are aware of the history of the area that includes John Muir, Randolph Marsh and of course the gold rush which passed right by here going up the two rivers to the gold county. Most of the history of Oakley is just before the turn of the last century starting in the 1880’s & 90’s.

I could almost shoot myself in the foot for going to city hall for a permission. But I am a community leader in that I am the Commander of the local Veterans organization here and help out with many of the nonprofits and service organizations in the East Contra Costa County. I am well known to the citizens of the area, every local, state and federal elected official in the East County and regularly attended our city council meetings. When I am out swinging a coil in the area I attract a lot of unwanted attention for the most part.

In essence I should have kept my mouth shut and now awaiting the verdict on that permission.

Thank you for your response Tom and look forward to hearing more from you here.đź‘Ť

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dig either. I use a screwdriver to pop the coin out. No digging! Just probing. :laughing7:

That will work on shallow targets, but, not so good on deep ones. You also increase the risk of damaging the target using that method.

I don't think he was serious.

Hmmm he wasn't serious was he ? ? ?

No one really metal detects with a screwdriver do they ? ? ?

Nah... no one would ever do anything that um.... eeemmmmmm... bah.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was weird...

Someone said that people use screwdrivers to dig targets... hmmmm ? ? ?

Well...

One thing is for sure...

Whoever uses a screwdriver to dig for stuff... NEEDS a screwdriver...

FOR...

THEY... have a screw loose that needs tightening... so its perfect that they go "prepared".

:P

Sheesh... of all things.

Sad day... sad day indeed.

NorCalSmitty

Mar 13, 2018
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH Land Ranger Pro:
BH Tracker IV:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Permission not granted...granted”

Permission not granted...granted:

In other words the city manager never responded to my request but staff from city hall that I met with here asked me how it was going MD’ing on that city property. “Great so far” was my response and left it at that. No emails, no phone calls, don’t ask, don’t tell.

Good times for sure!:occasion14:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dig either. I use a screwdriver to pop the coin out. No digging! Just probing. :laughing7:

When we aerate our lawn we don't say we dug it all up? :laughing7: I'm aerating when I detect. :laughing7:
Not a good idea when you dig up coins worth more then face value. Do digging, no probing. Good hunting and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread