Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This humorous exchange was on the forums a few years back. But bears repeating:

A newbie got his first detector. Jumped on to forums to learn all he could. And ... in the process, saw things about "laws" and/or "permits" and/or off-limits places. So .... being new to all this, he figured he should not just assume the parks in his town were ok. He decided he should go check at city hall first.

He also saw threads where the correct method of asking was discussed. Eg.: you don't go in asking "hi can I metal detect?" INSTEAD he saw to carefully phrase the question: "Are there any rules or laws regarding metal detectors in the parks?". SO IN THAT WAY, it's puts the burden of proof on them, to CITE such a law or rule, if one existed.

He went to the park's dept. receptionist. He asked the carefully worded question. The lady was initially mystified. Didn't know what he was even talking about (she was thinking airport security metal detectors or something). The two of them got that straightened out. So she reached for her park rules, codes, etc.... in their printed materials.

Eventually she cheerfully looked back up at the fellow and said "Well, I don't see any mention of that here, so it must be ok ". The man said "Thanks. And I'll be sure to cover all my holes". Her smile turned back to a confused look: "Holes ? What do you mean ?". The md'r said "well I have to dig the coins. But don't worry, you won't even be able to tell I was there".

She said to him: "Excuse me for one moment". She left her front reception desk. The md'r could see her, going down the hall, poking her head into various office doors. Apparently conferring with her superiors. She then came back to the front desk and said : "I'm sorry sir, but we're going to have to tell you 'no' ".

The md'r said: "... But why ? You just said yes, now you're saying no. What's up ?". She then handed him a brochure , from the utility Co. (PG&E or whatever). On the cover of the leaflet was a picture of a back hoe. And the title was "Call before you dig" (and it had the 3 digit # that const. Co.'s are supposed to call).

The man IMMEDIATELY realized this had nothing to do with metal detecting. And was OBVIOUSLY meant for heavy equipment (trench digging, construction, etc...). So he laughed and told the lady: "Mam, this is talking about heavy equipment . I'm only going to be digging 6 inches, not 6 feet. Thus this doesn't apply to me" . And he handed the pamphlet back to her.

The lady glanced through the brochure and says: "Sir, it doesn't say how deep. It just says all digging. So we're still going to have to tell you no". And she handed the pamphlet back to him.

The fellow left the park's dept. office with the pamphlet, more confused now than when he'd arrived.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Humorous story #2 :

Some people , when reading the above story, would probably conclude that the newbie should never have mentioned "holes" or "dig". Since those are sure-fire permission killers, eh ?

This story appeared on a forum a few years ago: A fellow had a thread asking : "Should I mention dig and holes, in the process of getting permission to hunt the parks ? "

Several people chimed in to his thread to tell him : "No. You do not mention "dig" or "holes". Because that's the fastest way to get a 'no'". But the fellow went on to explain why he figured he SHOULD be sure to mention that aspect of it:

Because it turns out he had received a "yes" at a certain city. But eventually, some city park worker came up to gripe. The md'r proudly reached into his pocket, to give his source of permission. Ie.: the name of the park office person who'd told him "yes". The griper promptly got on his cell-phone, & called that particular pencil pusher. Saying things like "But he's digging holes" blah blah

The person on the other end of the phone informed the person in the field that when they'd said "yes", no mention of digging or holes had been in the conversation.

Thus the md'r was promptly berated and verbally admonished for getting permission under false pretenses . Being deceptive, etc.... And sent away embarrassed and ashamed.

Thus , he figured , that at any future such permissions, he should be sure to mention holes and dig. So that such a beat down doesn't happen in the future. Doh !

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to talk in "third party"...

We are all friends here Tom :)... :)

:P

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there not a sticky somewhere that informs newbies to not ask for permission from government bureaucrats ? :laughing7:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, someone's gotta be a forum kill-joy, eh ? yeah yeah, a bee in bonnet unhealthy fascination with this, haha

And you are the very best at it Tom. Keep 'em coming.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, LOL..... :laughing7:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...He also saw threads where the correct method of asking was discussed. Eg.: you don't go in asking "hi can I metal detect?" INSTEAD he saw to carefully phrase the question: "Are there any rules or laws regarding metal detectors in the parks?". SO IN THAT WAY, it's puts the burden of proof on them, to CITE such a law or rule, if one existed.

Funny permission story #1 sounds like a CLASSICyoung Tom in the early days .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use the words "dig" or "holes" ever.....even private permissions. I use "recovery" instead.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I don't use the words "dig" or "holes" ever.....even private permissions. I use "recovery" instead.

AAAhhhh, "mincing words" eh ? "Being less than forthcoming", eh ? "Sneaking around" , eh ? We're all ashamed of you now cudamark ! haha

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you've pointed out in the past, if we return the site as we found it, we haven't "altered, defaced, or modified" anything. Why put buzz words in their head? I'm not mincing words, just selecting the most appropriate ones to convey my meaning, and not overly alarm the person I'm trying to convince to give me permission. :laughing7: Jeeez, I'm starting to sound like a politician! :censored:

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
As you've pointed out in the past, if we return the site as we found it, we haven't "altered, defaced, or modified" anything. ....

Yes. You and I, as md'rs, agree with those semantics. Heck, I'd even apply the same logic to "dig" versus "dUg" And here's why:

Since we can agree on the alter vs alterED logic, then ask yourself: What is the difference between the words ? Only: present tense versus past tense. Right ? Well then what's the difference between dig and dug ? Same thing: Present tense versus past tense. The only difference is, that we don't say "digged". Merely a spelling issue.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. You and I, as md'rs, agree with those semantics. Heck, I'd even apply the same logic to "dig" versus "dUg" And here's why:

Since we can agree on the alter vs alterED logic, then ask yourself: What is the difference between the words ? Only: present tense versus past tense. Right ? Well then what's the difference between dig and dug ? Same thing: Present tense versus past tense. The only difference is, that we don't say "digged". Merely a spelling issue.

I don't dig either. I use a screwdriver to pop the coin out. No digging! Just probing. :laughing7:

When we aerate our lawn we don't say we dug it all up? :laughing7: I'm aerating when I detect. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I don't dig either. I use a screwdriver to pop the coin out. No digging! Just probing. :laughing7:

When we aerate our lawn we don't say we dug it all up? :laughing7: I'm aerating when I detect. :laughing7:

Yes. This has been a common semantics game that some md'rs use, when trying to get around boiler plate verbiage that might use the evil word "dig". They try to say: I'm not "digging". I'm "popping" or "probing", etc... And try to rationalize that if you merely cut a slit, and no dirt is removed, that .... technically ... that's not "digging".

But in my experience, this will fall on deaf ears. The mere fact they see you detecting (especially if you stoop down to dig something ... ooops, I mean 'pop' something) will conjur up images in a busy-bodies mind that you're about to make a mess. Sure, you can dispute them. And sure, they may buy the logic.

But I generally keep it all simple from the git-go: When I'm doing nice manicured turf, I do it at night. So peaceful. So serene ;) Like nose-picking: You can try to convince people that it's perfectly natural, not a danger to them, legal, etc... Or ... you can just choose more discreet times to nose pick. :laughing7:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good point cudamark, really, I've found that it's not always what you say, it's HOW you say it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That will work on shallow targets, but, not so good on deep ones. You also increase the risk of damaging the target using that method.

Last edited:

NorCalSmitty

Mar 13, 2018
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH Land Ranger Pro:
BH Tracker IV:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Asked permission from city hall now awaiting answer...”

I wish I had seen this post last Thursday!

I went to my city hall this last Friday to ask permission to MD on soon to be covered up in concrete & asphalt empty lot city property right in the downtown area across the street from city hall. Now I am friends with and personally know every staff member and elected official there and thought I am doing exactly the right and proper thing as a upstanding citizen of my city. Now I’m not so sure. I talked to our city planner who would relay my request to the city manager, who was unavailable at the time of my visit and was told the city manager will get back to me this upcoming week with an answer. The city planner was enthusiastic with my request and even opened up the city database to show me other city owned lots in the area that I may consider. This is soon to be covered up historic open lots behind old store fronts and I am absolutely drooling to get in there and MD!

After reading this post and others by Tom today (Sunday) I’m not so sure I should have asked and should have instead just gone on over during the weekends and took my chances. I can think of 10 top reasons my “friends” at city hall can refuse my request now that I have had time to think about it myself.

I’ll be posting beck here on my results as soon as I get the call or email this week...if I get it this week.

PS:
I had asked before what if any, are the regulations on MD in our city parks and was told not to dig up the sod, surface search but have at it in the playgrounds all I want. I also received this in print to show any inquiry minds.
I felt I had reviled my hand in that if some other person that didn’t seek permission, (I was told nobody had ever asked before) does MD in the parks, digs plugs and makes a mess of it I will be the one getting the call to report to city hall for a meet and greet.:nono:

Cheers”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread