A post script to the previous State of CA beaches example post :

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's a local Facebook page for CA md'ing. Recently, someone posted the question: "Which beaches are legal ?" His range he was inquiring about, was anything from Monterey Bay, to north of San Francisco.

I was fascinated when one person responded that "Marina state beach was off-limits to md'ing. D/t: ... It is illegal to remove objects" . I asked this person "Where did you get this information ?" Because, quite frankly, we detect that beach all the time. For 20+ yrs. now. And have never had a problem.

The person answered back by posting a screen capture of their apparent email to the state of CA park's dept. "communications office" in Sacramento. I do not know how they phrased the question. All I see is the answer they received back.

This is a classic example of "Don't swat hornet's nests" ! A classic example to those that think "what harm can asking do?" or "It doesn't hurt to ask".

This is total silly-ness. Because if this were true, then there'd be no reason why it wouldn't equally apply to all state of CA beaches. Which is most of the state's shoreline. Since they all have the same rules-of-use. And ... sure, like any park or beach or forest etc...: There'll be obligatory language forbidding "harvest", "take" , "remove", etc... But was that ever meant to apply to fumble fingers stuff we do ? OF COURSE NOT. It's language so that no one thinks he can take home the park benches, or start commercially harvesting sand, etc.... But here's an example of some desk-jockey, .... faced with a "pressing question", who gives a silly safe answer like this. :BangHead:

And the bad part about these scenarios, is .... someone in position of authority, getting enough of these "FAQ's" across their desk, can decide to make it a permanent policy. Or issue "BOL's", etc.....

Attachments

• marina beach.png
    marina beach.png
    304.2 KB · Views: 189
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
And if anyone can't read the text of the email this person got (d/t the screen capture is too small) here's what the text says:

Re.: Questions about Metal Detecting
June 19, 2017, at 9:01am

Hi X X X X,

Metal detecting is banned at both beaches as it is illegal to remove objects from the park.

Best regards,

Dennis Weber
Communications Office
Sacramento, CA
(and normal footer info, etc...)

The other beach that the state person was talking about, besides Marina, was "glass beach". The FB person had been inquiring, I guess, about Marina and Glass beach. "Glass beach" is a certain beach downstream of an old beach cliff dump, where .... for decades and decades, the dump material spilled on to the beach as cliffs eroded. That enters the inter-tidal sand. Which migrates south in the normal sand migration over the decades. And has ended up on a certain beach now named "Glass beach". Where it vogue for beach combers to collect the colorful glass beads. That have resulted from the sand and surf polishing the broken glass. All different colors from the all-different color bottles.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
in Connecticut, all public beaches are open for people with metal detectors.

Perhaps. But it merely means you did not ask the right persons, with the right mental images in their mind. Did you be sure to mention "remove" and "take" ? If not, shame on you. Eh ?

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
in Connecticut, all public beaches are open for people with metal detectors.

And they are well hunted. My advise, Honest Samuel is to keep quiet about that otherwise we will be taxed for MDing! (Or one of our amazing legislators will outlaw it).
HH
dts

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Or one of our amazing legislators will outlaw it ....

DTS and Samuel, I'll make you a deal : For a mere $100 (I accept paypal), I will refrain from sending the powers-that-be there, the following email :

"Hello. I have it on good authority that DTS and Honest-Samuel have been metal detecting Connecticut beaches. As such, they are removing and taking park features, for their own profit and enjoyment. At the expense of the general public. And not only that, I believe you will discover that some of their finds (coins, etc...) exceed 50 yrs. in age. Isn't this a violation of some verbiage regarding cultural heritage ? In addition: Their actions necessitate "holes" and "digging". Which I am quite certain would violate rules/laws regarding "alter" and "deface". Right ? And could also cause an innocent little girl to trip and fall, thus creating lawsuits against the state of Connecticut. The action of digging could also disturb indian bones. So the activity would certainly require the council consent of the nearest native indian tribe. So please confirm that the activities of DTS and Honest Samuel are, or are not, legal to engage in."

However, If I see $100 in my paypal account, within the next hour, I can be persuaded not to send this email to their FAQ's public relations people. :laughing7:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
DTS and Samuel, I'll make you a deal : For a mere $100 (I accept paypal), I will refrain from sending the powers-that-be there, the following email :

"Hello. I have it on good authority that DTS and Honest-Samuel have been metal detecting Connecticut beaches. As such, they are removing and taking park features, for their own profit and enjoyment. At the expense of the general public. And not only that, I believe you will discover that some of their finds (coins, etc...) exceed 50 yrs. in age. Isn't this a violation of some verbiage regarding cultural heritage ? In addition: Their actions necessitate "holes" and "digging". Which I am quite certain would violate rules/laws regarding "alter" and "deface". Right ? And could also cause an innocent little girl to trip and fall, thus creating lawsuits against the state of Connecticut. The action of digging could also disturb indian bones. So the activity would certainly require the council consent of the nearest native indian tribe. So please confirm that the activities of DTS and Honest Samuel are, or are not, legal to engage in."

However, If I see $100 in my paypal account, within the next hour, I can be persuaded not to send this email to their FAQ's public relations people. :laughing7:

HaHa. Does that mean I have to give back the thousands of pull tabs and bottle caps and relinquish the tons of trash I've collected over the years? Actually, I'm in it more for the babes (don't tell my wife) Nothing says "Chick magnet" like an out-of -shape old man swing an AT Pro at the beach... I see them eyeing me and whispering to one another. Probably wondering if I'm available.
HH
dts

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And they are well hunted. My advise, Honest Samuel is to keep quiet about that otherwise we will be taxed for MDing! (Or one of our amazing legislators will outlaw it).
HH
dts
We in Connecticut are getting real hard with increase and new taxes.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am not talking and my cat Tippy my cat is also not taking.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I am not talking and my cat Tippy my cat is also not taking.

It's too late. They've already placed a GPS on your car. And a quick look at your show & tell posts probably betray "... found at the beach...". But if you hurry, you can go back to all your past posts, and change that to "found on private land with permission". Or "bought at a coin-store", or "found coin-roll hunting".

Then .... it will be our little secret.

PS: I haven't seen the $100 in my paypal yet. My fingers are getting itchy to send that email FAQ ! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions