Towns are using landfill from garbage Dump

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Landfills when full are given about 8-10 feet of dirt on top of it and then used for development. This is a common practice in the United States. I know other countries who also use a similar practice.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They've turned our old landfills into greenways and parks as well.

Joseph08

Nov 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please elaborate on this? I would like to know about it.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
yes, please give us more details.
This being true, a possible toxic landfill, being a park is not a good thing.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... they are not letting metal detecting in a few places.

But ... who ever said this, IN THE FIRST PLACE ?

I can totally imagine that if someone shows up saying "Hi, I found asbestos shingles in such & such park/landfill. Do you mind if I metal detect there ?" I mean, sheesk , while you're at it, mention indian bones, etc... ?

So do-tell, where did this information of supposed "not letting metal detecting" originate from ? And then we can see the real origins of such 'determinations' to "pressing questions".

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of possible explanations. How big are the shingle scraps? Could it be that there was a demo on the site that wasn't completely cleaned up? Or did they get fill dirt from a demo site that wasn't clean? It's hard to believe that it was once a dump that was improperly sealed. Then again, I guess nothing would surprise me when it comes to government cost cutting. I hunt a field for Civil War relics where the City spreads the sludge from its wastewater plant. Under every known environmental law, the sludge is supposed to have the solids separated out at the plant before it goes out to spread, but the field has a fair amount of ketchup packets, condom wrappers, and those plastic tampon things.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of possible explanations. How big are the shingle scraps? Could it be that there was a demo on the site that wasn't completely cleaned up? Or did they get fill dirt from a demo site that wasn't clean? It's hard to believe that it was once a dump that was improperly sealed. Then again, I guess nothing would surprise me when it comes to government cost cutting. I hunt a field for Civil War relics where the City spreads the sludge from its wastewater plant. Under every known environmental law, the sludge is supposed to have the solids separated out at the plant before it goes out to spread, but the field has a fair amount of ketchup packets, condom wrappers, and those plastic tampon things.

Oh MY!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions