buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone aware of any special laws regarding metal detecting in Florida that I might need to be aware of before swinging a coil there?
Will be heading to the Port Charlotte area at some point and was wondering if anyone might be familiar with area laws/rules etc.
Any special areas to avoid?
Good spots to check out?
Public Parks?
Are Beaches ok?

Any info is appreciated.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay away from State parks....that’s about it. I’ve hit up Boca Grande before which has tons of open beaches

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thank for the heads up. Headed to St. Augustine this fall.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to research St Aggie a bit. They have several off-limit to detecting areas.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No laws you need to worry about in Charlotte County, just don’t go on any athletic fields....schools are no tolerance/no trespassing zones, so it’s up to you if you want to meet a sheriff.
There aren’t many places to hunt in Port Charlotte, regarding beaches...you’ll need to head out to Englewood, or Boca Grande... Boca does have one beach that detecting is ok, but not in the water, unless the Park Ranger gives you the ok.
Expect to get a scratchy throat and slight nausea due to red tide, but those are welcome by us locals, because it keeps the crowds down.
If you want old dirt, head south over the bridge, you will find lots of empty lots in downtown Punta Gorda.
Most of the lots between Olympia and Marion Aves have been pounded for years, but I’ve pulled wheats and silvers on occasion when I go up there.
Good luck.

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay away from State parks....that’s about it. I’ve hit up Boca Grande before which has tons of open beaches

Thanks for the Info. Been reading about the Red Tide goin on there now, lotsa dead fish at Boca Grande... that SUX.. I love that place.

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No laws you need to worry about in Charlotte County, just don’t go on any athletic fields....schools are no tolerance/no trespassing zones, so it’s up to you if you want to meet a sheriff.
There aren’t many places to hunt in Port Charlotte, regarding beaches...you’ll need to head out to Englewood, or Boca Grande... Boca does have one beach that detecting is ok, but not in the water, unless the Park Ranger gives you the ok.
Expect to get a scratchy throat and slight nausea due to red tide, but those are welcome by us locals, because it keeps the crowds down.
If you want old dirt, head south over the bridge, you will find lots of empty lots in downtown Punta Gorda.
Most of the lots between Olympia and Marion Aves have been pounded for years, but I’ve pulled wheats and silvers on occasion when I go up there.
Good luck.

Thanks man, thats all Great info, and just what I was looking to hear. Much Appreciated.

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,
Are the public parks, hiking areas / nature preserves, legal to hunt sharks teeth, or metal detect? I realize any park that would be designated a state park, or archeologic site would be off limits. just wanted to be clear.
Thanks Again

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,
Are the public parks, hiking areas / nature preserves, legal to hunt sharks teeth, or metal detect? I realize any park that would be designated a state park, or archeologic site would be off limits. just wanted to be clear.
Thanks Again

You can easily find sharks teeth at Venice beach, but rarely will you find a big one.
The big teeth can be found in up river on the Peace River, Arcadia and points north... that’s not really in my wheelhouse, so I couldn’t tell you how or where to best hunt for them...
The public parks are fair game, but there is a couple of old timers who have been cleaning them out of clad for years, I’ve never gotten my coil down in any of those parks.
The only State Parks near you will be on Boca, and Myakka River State Park, I wouldn’t bother trying to detect those places....the only Archeological site near you is on Pine Island, just a bunch of shell mounds.... the Calusa Indiana’s didn’t spend Mercury Dimes, so that makes me not interested. :laughing7:

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can easily find sharks teeth at Venice beach, but rarely will you find a big one.
The big teeth can be found in up river on the Peace River, Arcadia and points north... that’s not really in my wheelhouse, so I couldn’t tell you how or where to best hunt for them...
The public parks are fair game, but there is a couple of old timers who have been cleaning them out of clad for years, I’ve never gotten my coil down in any of those parks.
The only State Parks near you will be on Boca, and Myakka River State Park, I wouldn’t bother trying to detect those places....the only Archeological site near you is on Pine Island, just a bunch of shell mounds.... the Calusa Indiana’s didn’t spend Mercury Dimes, so that makes me not interested. :laughing7:

Yea... Im more into the silver myself... lol
Ive found a TON of Shark teeth at Caspersen, but only a handful in the surf, due to the sand pumped in over the years. Ive had a good bit of luck in the scrub hammock, behind the beaches. They are pretty much scattered pretty evenly over the entire areas, and always near Gopher Tortoise Burrow Spoil. Lots of species, even a few Great White's but no Meg's yet. If you dont care about size, the commercial sifters that frequent the area, apparently in the dark of night, leave a lot in the spoil that fall thru the screens too.
I kinda figured that the old beach combers work the area pretty good, so thanks for confirming. I may end up checking out some of the vacant lots in Punta Gorda like you suggested, and try to find a Merc or two, and since I havent ever hit a beach down there I might give Englewood a shot, and see how it goes early one morning. Thanks again.. Much Appreciated.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am new to Port Charlotte looking for detecting buddy. I am available Sunday and Tuesday.

You would have better luck starting your own thread in the metal detecting section than to hijack a thread in legal issues.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 1. is writing about legal issues including where to hunt and not. I wish him the best of luck.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need info on Perdido Key. I've never detected in FL. We stay at the Indigo. To the east of the Indigo is a public beach. Then, the beach continues east for a long way...maybe 5 mi. Nothing there but beach. Is this a Fed. seashore or something? Is it legal to detect there? Thanks. Gary

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary, the area you are referring to is a National Seashore where Fort McRee is located. You can't detect on a National Seashore in Florida.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread