Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really should check the county GIS map for ownership. I believe Texas trespass laws are severe.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Premission is the only way to go.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Seek out who pays taxes on the properties.
Township assessor might be a good start.
I'm not in Texas ,but here I have acquired information to locate the taxpayers to ask permissions that way.
One was a caretaker that for some reason was keeping track of the estate. Family still existed and surprised me with a visit at an abandon homestead. Good thing I had permission...

Most township officials have been as polite to me as I have them.
Some understandably are guarded about others contact information.

Updated/current plot books .often at a nearby library have turned up owners names..

One name I looked up on the internet (a parcel of vacant forest adjacent to me I was curious about it's future as no one has been seen there a decade).
Found the owner recently deceased. His family info had I wanted to locate them ,but left the issue be..

You can find out who owns a site.
Do it legal. Lot's more enjoyable that what could happen.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
ancient history
a semi-derelict living in an abandoned house in Houston owed me $50 so I would stop by occasionally to try for my $
he left and I found an aluminum block abandoned in the garage, I took it
it was from a Ferrari 365, sold it for $4500

in Houston it is very dangerous to be poking around abandoned houses

MAILITY

May 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seek out who pays taxes on the properties.
Township assessor might be a good start.
I'm not in Texas ,but here I have acquired information to locate the taxpayers to ask permissions that way.
One was a caretaker that for some reason was keeping track of the estate. Family still existed and surprised me with a visit at an abandon homestead. Good thing I had permission...

Most township officials have been as polite to me as I have them.
Some understandably are guarded about others contact information.

Updated/current plot books .often at a nearby library audacity find my iphone origin have turned up owners names..

One name I looked up on the internet (a parcel of vacant forest adjacent to me I was curious about it's future as no one has been seen there a decade).
Found the owner recently deceased. His family info had I wanted to locate them ,but left the issue be..

You can find out who owns a site.
Do it legal. Lot's more enjoyable that what could happen.
this past weekend. All were overgrown. There were not any other houses by. Any thoughts on legalities. For sure watch out for snakes and scorpions and wasps......
John in Texas

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread