Foreclosed Property?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
"Banks don't own foreclosed property ... ever. It's against the banking laws. "

Clay, you are wrong on this one. Look up title on some of these properties and you will see that banks DO own properties. Some are in pools, and owned by the investor, but some are portfolio loans, which means the bank retains the loan, and yes they foreclose and yes they own it. In their REO department. I've bought properties and it even shows the seller as the bank. Again, not always, as many times it is Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae, but it is also banks.

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I can answer this. I own a property preservation company. I maintain foreclosures for government and bank owned properties. If you can get written permission from the mortgage company then you are in the clear. The government owned properties are a different beast. If it is posted HUD, VA, Freddy Mac, or any governmental program you should stay clear. Foreclosures have a huge problem with vandalism, theft, and trespassing . They are quick to prosecute. These properties are inspected at least once a week and the neighbors can be quite nosy. I had the cops called on me when I was mowing the grass. I was on my mower when the cop pulled up and asked me what I was doing there. I asked him “are you serious?” He did not find it funny and I had to provide a work order. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always ask . permission from a nobody is better than no permission at all .
just get it in writing

Last edited:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
sorry but i dont believe anybody or anything anymore ? if you can believe that ? i was metal detecting a school yard years ago. and see if you believe this ? before i started i saw cameras and signs saying "thie area is under video surveillance. so i march my little fanny perpendicular right down to the cop shop[ asked officer friendly if its ok wink wink are the any ordinances against it on that particular school yard ? he goes in the back comes back out and says nope good luck. so off i go. i come back 2 days later to give it another whirl. so the sun is going down its gettin twilight and i say to myself i better leave before some busy body calls the cops and mistakes me for a guy with a gun ???? so i'm walking across the school yard and i'm crossing the street and i see a squad car coming down the road oh oh and theres another one behind him oh oh OH OH ? so he pulls up and i keep walking past the front of the squad car. he did'nt yell at me through the loud speaker ? yet ? he jumps out says stop right there. what chu dewin. well he dont have his gun out. so he knows it taint no gun. den i look down the street and here comes anudder one oh oh ? he says you got permission ? yes sir i went down and talked to one of you officers 2 days ago. he says have a seat. so i sit on da curb. he comes back and says there is no report. oh oh ? den he says next time you better have a name ? oh so he's invitin me back. SHEW no hand cuffs no ticket. butt its my fault the government is screwed up ? RIGHT ? need less to say it got my blood pumping. you get permission but it aint permission. i always keep in the back of my mind ? DAMNED IF I DO ? DAMNED IF I DONT ? SO I MAY AS WELL DONT !

haility

May 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're asking this on a family friendly forum, where some people think you need city's permission before you can hunt a sand box. So can you guess what the answers will be ?

I'm sure this has been asked before but audacity find my iphone origin didn't find it here. On realtor sites I've run across a number of older foreclosed homes with Indian's and silver begging to see sunlight again. Some are bank owner and some are listed auction, the bank owned seldom have the mortgage company listed to contact them for permission to metal detect the property. I know that contacting the realtor or auction company I could get the legal owner and contact them to request permission. However...

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure this has been asked before but didn't find it here. On realtor sites I've run across a number of older foreclosed homes with Indian's and silver begging to see sunlight again. Some are bank owner and some are listed auction, the bank owned seldom have the mortgage company listed to contact them for permission to metal detect the property. I know that contacting the realtor or auction company I could get the legal owner and contact them to request permission. However...

Contact the County Tax Assessors office. They will have the name and contact information for the actual owner.

Neither the bank nor the realty company can give you permission to hunt because they aren't the owner of the property.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the above comments, if not be able to contact the owners, contact the banks. Good hunting and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread