Is this ethical? What do you think?

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting back into metal detecting after a break of several years. In my area there are over 200 different municipalities within a half hour of where I live. Some have metal detecting laws, some don't and some nobody is sure of.

To be clear I have no intent to break any laws, or detect where I'm not supposed to be.

For example, in Forest Park in St. Louis (the second largest city park in the USA... very historical... the 1904 World's Fair was held there) nobody seems to know if it's legal to metal detect or not. Many in the club have called and gotten conflicting answers. If you metal detect there some Park Rangers will come up and say hello to you and talk with no problems, but others will run you off.

So here's the issue. One member of the club says he detects pretty much anywhere he wants. He wears a high visibility yellow vest and has an ID Card with his name around his neck (it just says Metal Detecting with his picture and name on it). He looks like a utility repair person. He says he goes where he wants and NOBODY bothers or questions him. He says the vest and card make him Superman... lol.

So what do you think about doing that with the vest and card? He told me where he got the ID Card printed for about $5. You can buy the vests anywhere. Again I have no intention of metal detecting anywhere that it's obviously prohibited, but his method does seem to have advantages.

I'm interested in opinions!

Thanks,
-Joe

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I've jokingly said to do that for years. Rule of thumb/law is that if it is against ordinances, I wouldn't do it. Definitely dont on state and federal parks unless it is legal to do so. The vest/ID is a good idea if you are in legit areas, as people may just leave you alone. I cant think of any reason to chance fines, confiscation of my detector, or possibly even jail time for coin shooting in a park. Just not worth it. Illegal is illegal and people like that, if hunting where it is prohibited give everyone else bad names and makes it easier for new ordinances to be passed against detecting. Beyond that, it is ingenious! Hahah

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I can see his point in letting everyone that sees him think he must be doing something that is "OK". The vest is considered a safety item and the ID, well you do have to reach for that one. Compare what he is wearing to someone dressed in camo detecting a park. I'm not knocking camo because I wear it myself at times but you have to look at it from someone else than a M.D. hobbyist. When detecting parks, schools, etc. I wave and greet everyone including the cops that do drive by the area which I think is great because whether someone called or not, their out there checking things out. I do not envy their jobs by the way but that is another subject.
Bottom line is as detectorist we represent our hobby as a whole when out in public and reaching out to people waving and offering a smile opens the door for them to approach you, or you them and letting them know a little about what your doing. It also helps keeping a trash bag filled with trash that we uncover. Smiles go a long ways...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every bit of public land will have rules governing their use. Just look it up, it's not a secret. If metal detecting is banned, it will say so. If it's silent on the subject, I'd go for it until someone says otherwise (and has the authority to do so). Calling bored bureaucrats for their OK is just asking for wrong information. Most don't know the rules themselves and just give their personal opinion.......usually the safe answer.....NO. Use some discretion on when the best time to do it without attracting undue attention and use proper recovery methods so future bans can be avoided.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw on a hard hat also and put out a sign, Utility Worker ahead!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hear dressing in a dress and a wig will usually get you a peaceful day of detecting where you shouldn't. Maybe a little makeup and perfume would help too. You could disguise your detector as a handicapped walker or a fancy crutch.

Or you could look up the laws where you detect and just avoid the places where you shouldn't detect.

I know several here would consider it easier to go in drag or ask the janitor rather than do a little research.

I personally find research to be more reliable than janitors, dressing in drag or yellow vests. :thumbsup:

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear dressing in a dress and a wig will usually get you a peaceful day of detecting where you shouldn't. Maybe a little makeup and perfume would help.
Too funny! I just don’t know what I’d do about the beard hanging out of my Easter hat.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you were to try dressing in drag while detecting around Atlanta you would most likely become a victim of a sexual assault, shoved to the ground and become the victim of a robbery, or all of the above. I reckon I'll just hunt dressed normal.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe! I have been doing an ongoing survey about MO cities that prohibit detecting down in the Missouri forum: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...cities-towns-prohibit-restrict-detecting.html

As far as I have been able to tell, Forest Park is fine to detect. As Clay recommended, do your research and you'll be just fine. Beats having to hike up the ole pantyhose every time you get up from cutting a plug.

boxxxer

Feb 25, 2015
ohio
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT pro, 8.5x11 and 5x8 and nel storm coil
Deus ws4 with 11 inch coil, hf coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggers....I hunt a lot parks and have met a large number of officers, there has been a large increase in smash and grabs of purses in these parks. the officers can't be everywhere. always keep an eye on your surroundings to watch for this to help the officers, it may help with relationships.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... In my area there are over 200 different municipalities within a half hour of where I live. Some have metal detecting laws, some don't and some nobody is sure of. ...

Joe:

1) If "some of them don't" have any verbiage that addresses metal detecting (ie.: silent on the subject), then presto: It's not disallowed.

2) There is NO REASON why there are some that "nobody is sure of". Because all park usage rules are written down SOMEWHERE, for the public to view. Eg.: dogs on leash, no fireworks, no skateboards, etc..... If it doesn't say "no metal detectors", then presto: It's not prohibited. If the city doesn't have a website where this is listed, then you can ask the city hall: "Where is a list of the municipal codes, ordinances, park rules, etc...?". It must be in binder written form behind the desk at city hall, or library, etc... DON'T ASK : "Hi can I metal detect ?". Lest you merely become the latest victim of "no one cared till you asked" psychology.

... Many in the club have called and gotten conflicting answers. If you metal detect there some Park Rangers will come up and say hello to you and talk with no problems, but others will run you off.....

Don't you see the whimsical arbitrary psychology hard-at-work ? The mere fact that someone calls them (asking "can we metal detect?") , simply implies that something is amiss (harmful, dangerious, risky, etc...) that you had to ask in the first place. Ie.: No one "asks" to do innocuous things, right ? (skip stones on the pond, fly kites, etc...). Thus if someone shows up at their desk asking to do some odd-ball thing, it simply implies that there is something inherently wrong with it (lest why else would you be asking?). And that merely subconsciously lead them to envision geeks with shovels, holes, etc...

Thus why swat hornets nests ? Why dictate your own "safe" answer ?? Why not just look it up for yourselves ? And no, I do not construe verbiage about "alter" and "deface", or "harvest" and "remove" to apply to us . That's a different thread topic, if you care to go into that.

As for sometimes the true fact that someone might run you off at times: I do NOT consider that to constitute "law" or something you must now fight or get "clarified". To me, that simply means: Avoid that one individual in the future. Kind of like nose-picking. Not illegal, but ... you choose discreet times so-as-not to offend the squeemish. Right ?

As for the yellow vest, blah blah. I don't bother. I just go. Just choose low traffic times. As for "ethical": I consider ALL METAL DETECTING to be ethical, healthy, beneficial, educational, nutritious, wise, harmless, etc..... If someone else thinks differently, I will simply avoid being there when that singular lone individual might be there. Some people might consider that "sneaking around". Ok, fine: SNEAK AROUND. You're simply not going to get every last person on earth to love and adore you or your hobby.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...I cant think of any reason to chance fines, confiscation of my detector, or possibly even jail time for coin shooting in a park. Just not worth it. ....

Philvis, barring some sacred historic obvious off-limits sensitive monument, Or someone being obnoxious and can't take a warning: I doubt you can cite any incidents of "fines", "confiscations", or "jail time" for "coin-shooting in a park". If you have any links to the contrary, I would LOVE to see them.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, some of your metal detecting buddies may tell you, "No, it's not legal in Hillside Park," just to keep you out. I've seen this happen with artifact hunting. It's much better to scare off your competion than to compete with them...JMHO.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Also, some of your metal detecting buddies may tell you, "No, it's not legal in Hillside Park," just to keep you out. I've seen this happen with artifact hunting. It's much better to scare off your competion than to compete with them...JMHO.

haha, well ........ YES: Now that you mention it : It's illegal to metal detect in all of California. So all of you guys just stay out. Ok ? And if you doubt this is true, well gee: You just read it here on the net. So it MUST be true. :laughing7:

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
i believe there should be a total ban on metal detecting in city parks and city beaches in day time hours sunrise to sunset which should be will posted ......but in the middle of no where say like some uncle sam park in alaska 6 millions of acres makes no sense ....that senior age overweight guy swinger a coil is a eyesore to some but don't even think of messing with someone who worked and paid taxes in a small local community.... u could become the eyesore

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread