Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Metal Detecting on Federal Land

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2016
    937 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    In the old days folks had balls and hunted. I remember posting about my night hunts on here years ago.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9862 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiredman View Post
    In the old days folks had balls and hunted.....
    Ssshheesskk, I don't even think it was a question of "balls". I just think that it never EVEN OCCURRED to us, to worry about such things. When we went to hunt the beach, or a park, or a school, or a forest, no one ever fretted "oh me oh my, is it allowed?" If anyone had said such a question out loud to the others-of-us, we would have looked at him with confusion. Ie.: It would never have occurred to us, that anything might be amiss, IN THE FIRST PLACE. And lo & behold NO ONE EVER CARED .

Oh sure, we had the "presence of mind" mind to not go waltzing through the middle of ball games or archie conventions. And sure, we had the presence of mind not to be in the middle-of-holes in nice turf when busy-bodies were watching. But beyond that, it didn't occur to any of us that you "needed permission" or that you should knock-yourself-silly looking for if there "might-be-a-law".

So what changed ? Why are things so seemingly different now, 40-ish yrs. later ?? Answer: It's the shark-attack psychology : The moment ANY "scary stories" ever hit the headlines (no matter how far away, no matter how much they were a fluke, no matter how rare), is the moment that everyone else wonders: "Gee, what about my area ? Maybe I should check to be sure?". And presto: The self-fulfilling vicious circle starts. Leading to more "no's". Which leads to more news. Which leads to more asking. Which leads to more no's. And so forth.

And then the old-timers , like us, look around thinking . Since when ? Says who ? Just go. Which, of course, sounds lawless and careless. Right ? And so what's the best way to put the confusion (on whether "allowed or not" ) to rest ? Simple: Just go ask. Are you beginning to see the vicious loop ?
    T.C. likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Oct 2016
    937 times
    At night I never found anyone to ask, which ended the vicious loop.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

Oct 2016
    937 times
    Besides the thread is about Federal Land, not school yards Tom. Padres Island is a good one, years back someone on here announced they were going to go there and hunt it.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9862 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiredman View Post
    Besides the thread is about Federal Land, ....
    Even on "federal land", no one back-in-the-day wondered: "Is it allowed?". It never occurred to any of us that we SHOULD worry.

In fact, humorously, I recall , that in 1980, a friend of mine was detecting at Pinnacles National Monument (at some 1930's campgrounds there) . That's an NPS park. A ranger came out and started spouting at him. My friend ......... who was not one to back down ....... challenged the guy to: "Show me any such rule". The ranger stormed off. Came back 10 minutes later with some papers in his hand, and proceeded to show them to my friend.

The best my friend could make of the wording, that he was being shown, was something about Indian stuff. So he told the guy "that doesn't apply to me, since the Indians had no refined metals". As it turns out, he was about to call it a day anyhow, so he told the ranger: " I'm leaving now, but I'll be back tomorrow at noon. And I have every intention of md'ing again. If you think it's not allowed, you're welcome to come try to kick me out".

The next day at noon, he resumed md'ing. No one ever came out and said anything to him.

Now ...... in retrospect (nearly 40 yrs. later) I realize what the ranger was probably showing him, was the 1979 version (which .... in 1980, was still "hot off the press) version of ARPA. And in retrospect, my friend was probably in the wrong to be on NPS (as we all know so well now). But the reason I point out the story is to illustrate how it was a BIZARRE CONCEPT to get a "scram" . From a fairly innocuous mundane public campground. Such that ...... we simply didn't believe anyone that said "you can't be doing that". And rarely did we ever get any "scrams" .

See how times have changed ?
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Mar 2013
    31 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks for the good info once again Clay Diggins!
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links