Metal Detecting on Federal Land

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... it because the bad apples spoiled it by using big time digging techniques,....

I don't think that the fed. parks (like NPS or whatever) dream up and institute anti-md'ing laws/rules, because of "holes". I think a much bigger reason for any place that decides to make-a-law, is that it ends up on the desk of an archie for his input. And guess how it ends up on the purist archie's desk for review ? Via: Well-meaning md'rs who .... decades back .... went seeking clarifications and permissions. And sure as sh*t, someone's got to answer the "pressing question". So I'll bet that 90%+ of the laws we gripe about, can be traced back to md'rs who went swatting hornet's nests.

As for city -level parks, that ever dreamed up a "no md'ing" rule, the notion of "holes" is also often blamed for the rationale. But there too, I'm not convinced that "holes" are the real reason. Oh sure, "holes" is what some city person might TELL you, if you asked "why?". And the md'r walks away grumbling "durned those past md'rs who must have left holes". But I'm not convinced that anyone ever SAW a hole (or large shovel, etc...). Instead, I believe it's just the mental connotation that a man-with-a-detector has. WHETHER OR NOT he ever actually left any holes. It's just the mere seeing a man with a detector, someone can think "He's going to leave holes". Even if he never would have, or did.

Same for if the question ends up at a park's dept. desk for inquiry: Someone could envision holes, simply because they think that's the results. So they tell you "no because of holes". EVEN if they never saw holes and never saw anyone md'ing.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feds, State, or public lands in general are worried if they let someone metal detect that then would open the flood gates to the bad apples who would take advantage of a law permitting detecting. So, not to have ANY confusion as to what would be going further than a small covered hole they just blanket it with saying no metal detecting at all. No fuss no muss for them.
Eh, actually I'm due for some new glasses anyways. Can't read.
GL to ya.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Feds, State, or public lands in general are worried if they let someone metal detect that then would open the flood gates to the bad apples...

Sure. And guess how it comes-to-their-attention, as to the option or "need" to "let someone" ? Ie.: How did it ever get on their desk, as issue to need to decide, in the first place ? I'll bet I know how.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that the fed. parks (like NPS or whatever) dream up and institute anti-md'ing laws/rules, because of "holes". I think a much bigger reason for any place that decides to make-a-law, is that it ends up on the desk of an archie for his input. And guess how it ends up on the purist archie's desk for review ? Via: Well-meaning md'rs who .... decades back .... went seeking clarifications and permissions. And sure as sh*t, someone's got to answer the "pressing question". So I'll bet that 90%+ of the laws we gripe about, can be traced back to md'rs who went swatting hornet's nests.

As for city -level parks, that ever dreamed up a "no md'ing" rule, the notion of "holes" is also often blamed for the rationale. But there too, I'm not convinced that "holes" are the real reason. Oh sure, "holes" is what some city person might TELL you, if you asked "why?". And the md'r walks away grumbling "durned those past md'rs who must have left holes". But I'm not convinced that anyone ever SAW a hole (or large shovel, etc...). Instead, I believe it's just the mental connotation that a man-with-a-detector has. WHETHER OR NOT he ever actually left any holes. It's just the mere seeing a man with a detector, someone can think "He's going to leave holes". Even if he never would have, or did.

Same for if the question ends up at a park's dept. desk for inquiry: Someone could envision holes, simply because they think that's the results. So they tell you "no because of holes". EVEN if they never saw holes and never saw anyone md'ing.

For the most part, I agree with you on this subject, however, I have seen parks with open holes (mainly caused by someone digging full circle plugs) and I have tried to repair them, or , at least, make them look better. Since I often see unfilled holes and trash next to them at the beach, it's not all that surprising that the same knuckleheads have done the same in a park. I've never seen anyone there with a full size shovel yet, but, I have seen a few with "Predator" T-handle style diggers. I did see one guy at a school with a full size garden spade and leaving holes. Almost got in an all-out fight with the guy. A real arrogant SOB who didn't care about anything but himself.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... however, I have seen parks with open holes (mainly caused by someone digging full circle plugs) and I have tried to repair them, ...

And sure, you ... AS AN MD'R YOURSELF : Recognized those scars as the result of md'rs. Right ? And yes, of course, that's in-excusable. But I'll bet that the next casual passer-by person (even park personnel) who are NOT md'rs, do not necessarily make-the-connection. Not that they might not notice a scar. But ... unlike you and I , aren't going to immediately think "aha ! MD'rs !" They won't/don't make this immediate knee-jerk connection, since it's not on their radar. It's not something they think about.

Example: When I was dating my wife, and told her about my hobby, she told me she'd never (as far as she could ever remember) seen an md'r. But oddly, when I'm traveling around, I'll see an md'r from a mile-away. Because my mind is subconsciously tuned to spot such things. But since she'd never seen or known of any-such-geeky hobby, she never "registered" such persons, nor paid any attention.

So too do I think is the psychology going on with the holes we see. We are quick to think "everyone sees and notices". When truth be told, no one else cares less or notices or connects.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love reading your posts Tom....thank you

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
.....something about in California the law states your detector must be locked in a case out of arms reach and the batteries have to be in the trunk. Something like that.....gotta register it?
Maybe it was the large capacity coils were banned for awhile? I never can keep up with that stuff.

Don’t forget about the scary black detectors especially if they have that shoulder thing that goes up!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend to you to ask your U. S. Senators for help to search for your family items. Good luck and good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread