Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By The_Pro

Thread: Legal inquiry

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Professor

Oct 2017
    Middle East
    OKM and MineLab
    139 times
    Relic Hunting

Legal inquiry

If someone finds a huge ancient Egyptian treasure in Lebanon, what's the legal status? Ancient Egyptians ruled over vast areas up to inside nowadays Turkey along the eastern coasts of the Mediterranean Sea. Shall the finders talk to the UN, just to be sure they will get a reward? What to do? Lebanon is in a state of mess, and telling the government there simply means the treasure will be looted. It belongs to humanity. Any advice?

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10038 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hypothetical or actual status ? "treasure" = what ? I mean ... a few coins ? A jar of coins ? An entire vault of gold and silver ? And your question also depends on whether you want the technical answer ? Or the realistic answer .

Dunno the laws in that specific country, but I'm going to assume that the technical answer is that you can't keep so much as a single individual coin-found. And if you asked enough archies and pencil-jockeys there, I'm sure they'd say "you must give it all to us".

Oct 2016
    1088 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    Mideast counties have been having success over the years for the return of many museum collections. I doubt it would be allowed to leave country. People have watched too much Indiana Jones.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6890 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Logic tells me that if the treasure was found on government property, the government will claim it. You'd have to look up the laws regarding private property finds. If I found it on my own property, I'd definitely keep it quiet until I got professional legal advice from someone who knows that area of the law. Egypt might try to claim it, but, unless they can prove it was stolen, I doubt they would prevail in an unbiased court of law. We'd love to see some photos!
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

May 2019
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Logic tells me that if the treasure was found on government property, the government will claim it. You'd have to look up the laws regarding private property finds. If I found it filezilla uc browser rufus on my own property, I'd definitely keep it quiet until I got professional legal advice from someone who knows that area of the law. Egypt might try to claim it, but, unless they can prove it was stolen, I doubt they would prevail in an unbiased court of law. We'd love to see some photos!
    Mideast counties have been having success over the years for the return of many museum collections. I doubt it would be allowed to leave country. People have watched too much Indiana Jones.
    Last edited by haility; Jul 12, 2019 at 02:53 PM.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2938 times
    Welcome here. I recommend that you contact a lawyer in the country where you want to go treasure hunting and they will advice you on what the laws are. Good luck and good hunting.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    9948 times
    I would be extremely discreet given your area.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Sponsored Links