Legal inquiry

The_Pro

Oct 13, 2017
Middle East
Detector(s) used
OKM and MineLab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If someone finds a huge ancient Egyptian treasure in Lebanon, what's the legal status? Ancient Egyptians ruled over vast areas up to inside nowadays Turkey along the eastern coasts of the Mediterranean Sea. Shall the finders talk to the UN, just to be sure they will get a reward? What to do? Lebanon is in a state of mess, and telling the government there simply means the treasure will be looted. It belongs to humanity. Any advice?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hypothetical or actual status ? "treasure" = what ? I mean ... a few coins ? A jar of coins ? An entire vault of gold and silver ? And your question also depends on whether you want the technical answer ? Or the realistic answer .

Dunno the laws in that specific country, but I'm going to assume that the technical answer is that you can't keep so much as a single individual coin-found. And if you asked enough archies and pencil-jockeys there, I'm sure they'd say "you must give it all to us".

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Mideast counties have been having success over the years for the return of many museum collections. I doubt it would be allowed to leave country. People have watched too much Indiana Jones.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Logic tells me that if the treasure was found on government property, the government will claim it. You'd have to look up the laws regarding private property finds. If I found it on my own property, I'd definitely keep it quiet until I got professional legal advice from someone who knows that area of the law. Egypt might try to claim it, but, unless they can prove it was stolen, I doubt they would prevail in an unbiased court of law. We'd love to see some photos! :icon_thumleft:

haility

May 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Logic tells me that if the treasure was found on government property, the government will claim it. You'd have to look up the laws regarding private property finds. If I found it filezilla uc browser rufus on my own property, I'd definitely keep it quiet until I got professional legal advice from someone who knows that area of the law. Egypt might try to claim it, but, unless they can prove it was stolen, I doubt they would prevail in an unbiased court of law. We'd love to see some photos! :icon_thumleft:

Mideast counties have been having success over the years for the return of many museum collections. I doubt it would be allowed to leave country. People have watched too much Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome here. I recommend that you contact a lawyer in the country where you want to go treasure hunting and they will advice you on what the laws are. Good luck and good hunting.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don’t worry about the local bureaucrats and lawyers. Cut a deal with the local warlord.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lebanon has treasure trove laws on antiquity finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread