Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter tracker IV
Tesero Silver Umax
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT pro pointer
Excalibur II very very soon
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey all, long time detectorist here but new user to the site as I never thought to check online forums for this. But I need help finding out how to get a permit to use my detector In Portugal, specifically Azores, I have plenty of time as I wont be there till next year 2weeks from now for my sister's wedding. But I was reading some posts and see people that have said that they detected there but nothing about how they were able to what they had to do to get permission. So if anyone can give me any help on the laws or requirements to file for a permit, or if you never got one didnt get bothered about doing it, just asked a officer. Any info would be extremely helpful as I am going In circles online here.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Portugal is one of the finest countries you can visit and enjoy your time. It is also a good place to enjoy practicing metal detecting as a hobby …

By doing so, you will be able to discover this country to its full potential!

However, being reckless and going out there using your machine could be a bad move on your behalf. Indeed, you need to learn about the laws plus being aware of the right locations you should be opting for.

Below I share with you all what you should know regarding Metal Detecting in Portugal …

What are the metal detecting laws in Portugal?
Metal detecting is officially illegal in Portugal! However, even though there are a couple of treasure hunting clubs in the Portimao and Lagoa districts…

…Members of these clubs need to first get permission to use their machines.

Furthermore, detecting on the beach is pretty rare and that is allowed mostly for locals. They also need to obtain special permission from the local authorities before taking going in there and exploring the beach.

If you do not have the required permission and you get caught by the authorities, then the penalty is not only the confiscation of your detector but also a fine of 500 Euros.

It is said that before 2006, it was possible to get a daily permit to metal detect. However since then, it has become almost very difficult to get such a permit.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here’s the link: https://detectingschool.com/metal-detecting-in-portugal/

How to get a permit to detect in Portugal?
If you want to get a permit, then you need to apply for it at the Ministry of Culture. You will get to know the cost of getting the permit over there itself.

There are offices of the Ministry at each city and you need to fill out the form for the permit and submit it at the nearest office.

However, keep in mind that it may take a long time to get the permit, so be prepared…

… Also, be careful that you do not carry around your machine without the permit as it might get confiscated and you may have to pay a significant fine.

Your application for requesting a permit should include the following:

Your identity and your identification documents
Purpose of your detecting survey
Places you plan to opt for (Be specific as much as possible!)
Characteristics of your detecting device
Go to the link above for more. Good luck!

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I may not try this in Portugal, but if you wear some khaki pants and a white button down shirt and a hard hat and hold a clip board in one hand and a metal detector in the other, cops will not mess with you.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate! :skullflag::occasion14:

OP
OP
S

Squiggs80

Apr 8, 2019
U.S.A
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter tracker IV
Tesero Silver Umax
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT pro pointer
Excalibur II very very soon
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey RUSTY I've read all that online also, I'm trying to find someone who's been over there and got a permit or has any info that can help me. My sis is getting married over there next year and I need to bring my detector. So I have asked here wedding planner who lives over there if she can file for the permit for me or I have to do it myself. How long it takes to actually get the permit, how much does it cost, how long is it good for. So I'm hoping I hear back from her soon about if she can get me the permit.. but thank you for putting up that info for me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread