Just found this sub and have a question.

JainJude

Jul 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey this sub popped up as one I might like. I'm guessing the reason is me and my son(7) recently got into rock collecting. We love it and go out looking when ever we can.

Now here's the question first were in the fingerlakes region of NY lots of stuff to find. As a landscaper I know I find a ton of random stuff. So would this hobby tie in good with our trips. Here's some issues to consider. We(I) carry a back pack we usually bring just a hammer and a masons chisel to keep weight down. I'm recovering from neck surgery and can get around fine. However a 50lb pack is still a litte much for right now lol. So how much weight would be added to our kit. Also we run a lot of gullies fossils are big here. So would a detector survive this. Would it even be usefull in these areas? Also how much would I be looking at money wise to get us started. Rember workers comp not rich lol. We do rock collecting cause It can be done cheap when I have to. Also if I have a little extra then we can do more. Also I'm a conservation grad so this is a great teaching tool. Would this be a better hobby to do more as a separate hobby? I'm wondering of by trying to do both at the same time, it would just end in bad results for both hobbies. Thanks for any info it dose look like a cool hobby.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't know what your budget is, but, right now, the best all around (and waterproof) detector is the Minelab Equinox. It's also a relative bargain at ether $650 or $900 depending on model, and there is even a 15% discount for military (if that's still in effect) to make the deal even sweeter. It's also fairly light at less than 3 lbs. Combining it with rock hounding should work good....at least until you load up that pack with rocks! :laughing7:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why would you want to use a metal detector for rockhounding?

A more useful tool would be the Geo Pick. At less than 10% of the cost of a metal detector it will give you years of service digging rock.

Just about every rockhound has a rock hammer. Great for chipping out samples or crystals it's the standard in the hobby. The 14 ounce Eastwing is a favorite and a good place to start.

Gloves and safety glasses are a must if you want to keep your eyesight and make it home without bleeding to death. Rock chips are really dangerous. Some knee pads are essential since you are going to be working at ground level.

After getting those basic tools your investment will be around $100.

You might consider joining a rock and gem club. There are about 20 in New York. I see there are at least two around your area.
Finger Lakes Mineral Club
New York Southern Tier Geology Club

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the impression that he was thinking to rock hound AND detect during their hike, not use the detector to find rocks.

OP
OP
J

JainJude

Jul 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey this sub popped up as one I might like. I'm guessing the reason is me and my son(7) recently got into rock collecting. We love it and go out looking when ever we can.

Now here's the question first were in the fingerlakes region of NY lots of stuff to find. As a landscaper I know I find a ton of random stuff. So would this hobby tie in good with our trips. Here's some issues to consider. We(I) carry a back pack we usually bring just a hammer and a masons chisel to keep weight down. I'm recovering from neck surgery and can get around fine. However a 50lb pack is still a litte much for right now lol. So how much weight would be added to our kit. Also we run a lot of gullies fossils are big here. So would a detector survive this. Would it even be usefull in these areas? Also how much would I be looking at money wise to get xvideos xnxx xxx us started. Rember workers comp not rich lol. We do rock collecting cause It can be done cheap when I have to. Also if I have a little extra then we can do more. Also I'm a conservation grad so this is a great teaching tool. Would this be a better hobby to do more as a separate hobby? I'm wondering of by trying to do both at the same time, it would just end in bad results for both hobbies. Thanks for any info it dose look like a cool hobby.

my issue got solved!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread