Who owns this meteorite? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Who owns this meteorite?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1400 times
    Yeah, big one. Bigger than the Hoba. How did this manage to not bury itself? Why wasn't it going faster? And where did it come from?

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1400 times
    Don't know if the stone ever broke up. Fell in the 1800's so I wasn't there at the time. Several sources, including history books (A History of Coos County) and newspaper articles. Fell during a blizzard. Blizzards in area not common, but one reaason it wasn't found immediately.

Feb 2006
    1210 times
    Now that I know what you are after (the South Slough Meteorite), I have no doubt that you are going to find a lot of rocks, both big and small. The heads of South Slough make up dozens of square miles of everything from marshes to rugged hills. The remains of basaltic flows are plentiful, as are tree covered sand hills. Please do not be surprised should the object of your attention turns out to be just another boulder.

Please note that if the item you are after is in the part of South Slough managed by NOAA, recovery will need their written permission.
    BillA and MidMoTreasure like this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2024 times
    Prospecting
    That little crater in AZ is definitely not the biggest one visible from Google earth.
    Hartman's rocks in gunnison makes that look like an empty puddle. Hartman's is a much bigger crater being 8.5 km across. It hit so hard it bent the crust of the earth during a time we were covered by a shallow sea.
    Pick_axe likes this.

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1400 times
    Quote Originally Posted by galenrog View Post
    Now that I know what you are after (the South Slough Meteorite), I have no doubt that you are going to find a lot of rocks, both big and small. The heads of South Slough make up dozens of square miles of everything from marshes to rugged hills. The remains of basaltic flows are plentiful, as are tree covered sand hills. Please do not be surprised should the object of your attention turns out to be just another boulder.

Please note that if the item you are after is in the part of South Slough managed by NOAA, recovery will need their written permission.
    Oddly rocks in this area are few and far between. The few that I have found are mostly sandstone. Gold is found in the area as well. Wouldn't mind finding some of that (or a lot of that)!

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1400 times
    Thanks for the reply, galenrog. This stone left hardly any crater. At all. The "crater" is only 40 feet long, and barely over 25 across, I think. Not what I would normally call a crater.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    11776 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Okay, it came from space so really it is from a different country. Plant a flag on it and claim in your name. Be prepared...the Space Force may show up
    trdking and BillA like this.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1453 times
    ok, we're on it
    raise cash = sell passports
    might get crowded

edit: early passport gets the worm
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.

Sep 2007
    Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
    Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
    190 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Witnessed the fall but fell in the 1800's; saw on Google Earth....really? Fell soft as a feather for a meteorite? Going to go get a piece of it? Fascinating. What kind of a saw are you going to take to the site to get a piece of it? Best have a metal blade on that K-12. This is funny. My IQ is way lower than yours.
    Last edited by Gilligan; Aug 23, 2019 at 05:01 PM.

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1400 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Witnessed the fall but fell in the 1800's; saw on Google Earth....really? Fell soft as a feather for a meteorite? Going to go get a piece of it? Fascinating. What kind of a saw are you going to take to the site to get a piece of it? Best have a metal blade on that K-12. This is funny. My IQ is way lower than yours.
    A witnessed fall is one where people have actually seen the rock fall, Gilligan. Fell in a blizzard, but lit up the sky.
    Normally meteor going very fast until impact. Impact felt for 30 miles around.
    K-1? Don't understand the reference.
    IQ? Funny you should mention that. Mine is 130-140. What's yours?

Sep 2007
    Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
    Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
    190 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Congrats on your IQ and I hope your fantasy comes true.
    BillA likes this.

us
    May 2018
    Athens Georgia
    Garret AT pro
    159 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuberale View Post
    The stone is on federal land, not BLM. Witnessed fall, found within a week of falling. {There was an old logging camp nearby.} Site has been clearcut several times since the stone came down. Fell soft as a feather for a meteorite. 2 feet of the stone is still above found.
    So it was witnessed and found in the 1800's, then lost? Why wasn't it recovered back then? Seems like the worlds biggest intact meteorite would have been worth the effort. Best of luck to you!

us
    Jan 2013
    mother load goldfields
    gold master V-sat
    195 times
    two large meteorites found in the US I know of hit quite soft and did not break up into small pieces.

Willamette found in Oregon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willamette_Meteorite

and the old Woman meteorite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Woman_meteorite

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1453 times
    neither of the 2 links reference a soft landing

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1400 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgivs View Post
    So it was witnessed and found in the 1800's, then lost? Why wasn't it recovered back then? Seems like the worlds biggest intact meteorite would have been worth the effort. Best of luck to you!
    At the time, no one thought the stone was worth anything. Pretty interesting boom, though. Nearness to a logging camp helped. No one thought of meteorites as anything at the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links