Who owns this meteorite?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Who owns this meteorite?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1373 times

Who owns this meteorite?

Will be hunting for a 22' meteorite. Stone is visible from google earth photos. 2' of stone is above ground.
    Stone currently is on federal land, but not originally.
    Currently on a protected area, that has rare plants and animals. Evidently road building is still allowed in some areas. There is a road which ends about a mile away from it.
    Before I try to get a piece of it, should I be worrying about the ownership issue?
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7230 times
    Metal Detecting
    Unbelievable.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    640 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Of course not there originally - originally it was in outer space - lol.

a 22’ Meteorite would have had impact energy like a nuclear weapon - not ending up like a big rock stuck in the ground.

The largest visible meteor crater on earth is here in AZ. It is estimated that a 100’ to 200’ meteor did that.

Here is a picture of a recently discovered impact site in the Sahara - the meteor that did that was estimated to be about 5’ across - imagine what a 22’ One would do...

Last edited by Rick K; Aug 20, 2019 at 12:25 PM.

us
    Bryan

Jul 2012
    Mid-Missouri
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
    178 times
    Here is the official BLM policy for collecting meteorites from public lands: https://www.blm.gov/policy/im-2012-182

The casual collection rules state:

Casual Collection: Meteorites may be casually collected (i.e., free and without a permit), pursuant to BLM’s regulations at 43 CFR 8365.1-5. In accordance with those regulations:

- Collection of meteorites is limited to certain public lands. Public lands closed to casual collection include: developed recreation sites, certain units of the National Landscape Conservation System, areas excluded from casual collection in a Land Use Plan such as an Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC) or a wilderness area, and areas closed by supplemental regulations;
    - Individuals are limited to collecting what can be easily hand-carried, up to a maximum of ten pounds of meteorites per individual, per year;
    - Only surface collection of meteorites using non-motorized and non-mechanical equipment is allowed (metal detectors may be used); and
    - Casually-collected meteorites are for personal use only, and may not be bartered or sold for commercial purposes.

Hope this helps answer your question.
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    Bryan in Mid-Missouri
    "MidMoTreasure" on Youtube

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1373 times
    The stone is on federal land, not BLM. Witnessed fall, found within a week of falling. {There was an old logging camp nearby.} Site has been clearcut several times since the stone came down. Fell soft as a feather for a meteorite. 2 feet of the stone is still above found.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    640 times
    Dream on.

BLM land is federal.

Meteorites enter the atmosphere at hypersonic speed and are only slightly slowed by friction with the atmosphere.

“Fell soft as a feather for a meteorite” - WHAT!!!

They aren’t like the turkeys in the famous WKRP in Cincinnati turkey drop.

Read up on meteorites - you are delusional if you believe what you have written.
    Last edited by Rick K; Aug 21, 2019 at 09:24 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2007
    Colorado
    Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
    996 times
    Metal Detecting
    Average velocity of a meteorite is 22,000 KM an hour. Calculator for impact effects, see link below. If it was a irony type of asteroid, it would probably knock out the electrical grid. I have a background in electronic warfare. What you describe would have killed millions if it had hit New York City.

https://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEarth/ImpactEffects/
    Pick_axe, Kray Gelder and BillA like this.

Charter Member
    Grouch

May 2015
    Columbus NM
    Minelab Safari Minelab Excalibur 1000, Minelab Equinox 800 Garrett AT Gold Garrett GTI 2500,
    270 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    When something of that size enters our atmosphere at say 30KM per second, it pushes a column of compressed air ahead of it so dense that it acts like a piston. It ionizes the atmosphere around it. Much of the damage is done before the actual object ever hits the surface. As ECMJAMSIT put it, the EMP would be like a pony nuke.
    Kray Gelder and trdking like this.
    Oooh! A shiney thing! Can I put it in my nest?

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    640 times
    Ain’t science beautiful - sad so many folks slept through high school science classes.

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1373 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick K View Post
    Ainít science beautiful - sad so many folks slept through high school science classes.
    I didn't sleep through high school science classes. I have tested to be in the upper 98 percentile of people in science. I'm just saying what others have already said about the meteorite.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    640 times
    I didn’t say that you slept through high school science class. I do wonder however how you can believe that a meteorite entering the earth’s atmosphere at hypersonic velocity (and they all do so) and weighing many thousands of tons can fall to earth “soft as a feather”. Ample facts have been pointed out here that show that no massive meteorite - having fallen recently as you assert - can possibly be resting partially buried on the surface of the ground - no crater - no nuclear-class explosion - “soft as a feather” - IMPOSSIBLE.
    Kray Gelder and BillA like this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Yacolt WA
    EQ 800
    1674 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick K View Post
    Dream on.

BLM land is federal.

Meteorites enter the atmosphere at hypersonic speed and are only slightly slowed by friction with the atmosphere.

“Fell soft as a feather for a meteorite” - WHAT!!!

They aren’t like the turkeys in the famous WKRP in Cincinnati turkey drop.

Read up on meteorites - you are delusional if you believe what you have written.
    "Falling to the ground like sacks of wet cement!" My favorite clip from WKRP
    Thanks for the smile!
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7230 times
    Metal Detecting
    Recent witnessed meteor shower.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meteor shower.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	1745281
    BillA and Pick_axe like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Feb 2006
    1207 times
    Any chance we can see a source document alleging the witnessed meteorite fall? Newspaper account? Written account of any kind?

Time for more coffee.

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1433 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuberale View Post
    I didn't sleep through high school science classes. I have tested to be in the upper 98 percentile of people in science. I'm just saying what others have already said about the meteorite.
    my bolding
    it matters little how clever one is if they are without facts

stoney or iron meteorite ?
    if iron: and an airborne mag survey line has never picked it up ?

2' chord of a (nominal) sphere whose section is how many feet ?
    - so the diameter is . . . .
    - weight . . . . .

totally implausible, do it
    let us know

edit: ah, 22' size
    would that be the 'core' or a piece ?
    was it seen to break up ?
    what would have been the size/tonnage before ablation in the atmosphere ?
    wow
    Last edited by BillA; Aug 22, 2019 at 02:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links