SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if has been posted here, but I have seen it on another forum. Thanks!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they buy machines , do the research , secure permission , hunt hunt hunt , find the treasure and are supposed to give it to the guberment ???? I guess I'm just a bad person because I'm not giving them anything I find for sure.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they buy machines , do the research , secure permission , hunt hunt hunt , find the treasure and are supposed to give it to the guberment ???? I guess I'm just a bad person because I'm not giving them anything I find for sure.

Different Country, different Laws.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

.....and if you live in United Kingdom and get caught you will get hefty fine and do jail time, same you would get in America if your caught detecting federal battlegrounds.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only hunt with owners permission . not public or gov land.

ok lets say you found $20.000 in gold coins on your own land, would you guys pay taxes on it ?
would you hand it over to the gruberment ?
or would you keep the treasure as the rightful owner?

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if some of the guys who post here, and live there do this ? Under British law, any archaeological find must be reported “to the local coroner

Last edited:

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014

ok lets say you found $20.000 in gold coins on your own land, would you guys pay taxes on it ?

In the UK, public or private doesn’t matter. Treasure trove laws apply. Though I did hear that it doesn’t apply to individual coins found, though that may not be correct.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder what their take would have been if they followed the law and reported it?

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I have written very extensively in the Aztec thread on my belief that up to 15 tons of treasure are within a block of where I am sitting right now. In Mexico, all antiquities are Federal Property, period. And Mexican prisons are neither heated or cooled. So, I have not dug one shovel full of dirt, and have no intention of doing so, ever. That treasure has not actual value to anyone.

I have explained this repeatedly in great detail, but still from time to time, people ask why I have not dug for it. Blechhh!!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As my name, I am honest and pay state and federal income taxes. I may not like where my taxes go, we all have to pay, or off to jail you may go.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other

Ever hear of Blue Laws? If the value is $3 or over it has to be turned in and in places these Blue Laws are still on the books (U.S.).

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never heard of blue laws , won't be looking into it any time soon. I dig ,I keep is the way I hunt .

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some jurisdictions, burden for a licence is so high that most people dont even try, private permission doesnt count and if something of value is found the split between Goverment/land owner/finder is 100/0/0.

Well, if make criminalize MDing, people tend to .......

In this case it was GB with sound laws but w/ regard to the two finders I read:

"The police were able to establish this because they found photographs on one of the men’s smartphones. In these, the two men are shown digging out a large number of coins and other pieces of treasure.

Furthermore, the accused allegedly bragged to an antique dealer that they had found a great many coins and also ignored his advice to report them to the authorities. The defendants denied that there was a larger hoard."

Comment: YOU CANT FIX STUPID.

How do you Americans say: Those two have been riding the short bus and have been licking the windows, too.

Greet

Namxat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread