Run in with the Law, Minnesota

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for 10 years now and had my first run in with the Law this past summer. I was detecting an old school playground and ball/play field where I used to go to school as a child. It opened in the 1800's and closed in the 1990's and the city just took over the playground/field and people walk their dogs and kids play there.

It's in a very remote small town, population 400 or so. I've been detecting it now for several years, a couple of times per year. I haven't found much, several Wheaties, A couple of Silvers and the usual kids toys, rings etc. I assume it's been detected before, but I love it because it's several acres and I can literally hunt all day and never see another person. It brings me much peace.

This past summer, I had been detecting for a couple of hours at that point and decided to go look into the windows of the school (something I've done many times over the years). The school sits on the edge of the play field. It's satisfying, but sad at the same time to see the ceilings falling in and the plaster coming off the walls and the brick falling away from the exterior walls. I try to remember back to when I was a kid and what room im looking at and I can picture it as it was when I was a kid sitting there in class or in the lunchroom or on the playground.

About 20 minutes later, I was standing back in the field I was detecting, on the phone with my daughter. My detector was sitting bolt upright on the coil a few feet from me. I wasn't paying much attention, but out of my peripheral vision, about 20 yards away on a dead end street next to the school, I see a Sherriff's SUV pull up and I look up to a very stern looking, burly mid-age officer looking at me through his drawn down window.

I tell my daughter I have to go and I walk over to his SUV. In the most friendly voice I can muster I greet him and he asks me what I am doing. I replied that I was metal detecting and had metal detected there several times before. I added to my reply in hopes of gaining a bit of trust, that this was my school I went to as a child. He just looked at me for a moment and said, "I went to this school too and I think I recognize you!" and I reply back, "Yeah, you look familiar too. What year did you graduate and he said 1989 and I said 1988" and at that moment I realized who he was and he realized who I was. Since we were a grade apart, we didn't hang out, but being a small school, you know most everybody within a year or two of you.

After our mutual discovery, his whole mood and affect changed. Sensing this, I said, "someone called you on me, didn't they" Yeah, he said, we get a lot of calls and theres been a lot of vandalism to the school over the years with people breaking in and what not. He asked me what I was finding and I told him and we parted ways with him telling me good luck detecting!

Here it is back in the early 1900's, notice how there is a old car in there mixed in with the horse and buggy:

Myoldschool.gif

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, glad it worked out for you!

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a good story. I wish all run-in's went that way. I find myself educating police and maintenance people of the laws when I am out. Takes a bit of charisma to keep them happy.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice read.:icon_thumright:

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome. But you know the bad thing about it. You said he rolled up and had a stern look on his face. He was already prepared to throw you out of there and just happened that you knew him and that saved you. Once again it proves that in life, a lot of times it's all about who you know.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat story, thanks for sharing:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome. But you know the bad thing about it. You said he rolled up and had a stern look on his face. He was already prepared to throw you out of there and just happened that you knew him and that saved you. Once again it proves that in life, a lot of times it's all about who you know.

Agree, but on the positive side, now that he had a run in with me, the next detectorist he comes upon, he might not feel threatened by!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one benefit of living in a small town! I've be detecting in a field around here and get honks of a horn from a passerby and the next day, I'll have someone say I saw you in the field did you find anything? Gotta love a small town.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 1. Sorry for the run down condition of your school. You must be very upset over it.

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 1. Sorry for the run down condition of your school. You must be very upset over it.

Yes, it is a bit sad. I was looking in through the window into the music room and i remembered we had this teacher who always liked to play the piano and how I enjoyed sitting in there as a kid as she played.

Heres a picture of it back in its glory days:

Canton98.gif

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! Great outcome! Your mistake? Up by the buildings looking in the windows, that'll get you hassled every time. Think, peeping in the windows with something that resembles a pry bar on your belt. Still great story!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post I haven't had any bad encounters either but 2 or 3 good ones

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a funny story and how you knew the guy haha.
You should have asked him if you could shoot his gun. They always have funny reactions when you ask them that.

He would have said yes I assume. Not there on the spot mind you, but I used to shoot at the same range he does, so we could have probably arranged a get together for some plinking and reminiscing about our school years....

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! Great outcome! Your mistake? Up by the buildings looking in the windows, that'll get you hassled every time. Think, peeping in the windows with something that resembles a pry bar on your belt. Still great story!

Yes, it was probably the window peeping. The school is owned by a private individual who bought it many years ago, but has literally abandoned it. The city council has had several meetings about it being a health hazard and what to do legally about it since the owner has not maintained it. The fields/playground are still owned by the city though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions