City parks and property - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: City parks and property

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    41401 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Well guess who pays for the parks lol
    1. Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Sticker

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8784 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    I'd just go, I wouldn't feel the need to ask anyone.
    Be advised, most parks are trash nightmares, you could barely pay me to detect an average park.
    After researching the rules of the site and finding nothing prohibiting metal detecting, I would agree. That's why you don't ask people for permission. It brings their bias into the equation. That's the last thing I want to do is debate some knucklehead that has preconceived notions of what my hobby entails. They may have visions of grave robbers with backhoes or any number of imaginary destructive processes in their mind that don't have any basis of reality. Let's not fuel that imagination by asking them simple questions where they really don't know the legal answer. I love hunting trashy parks......if they're old enough. Modern urban parks have no interest for me however, unless I'm totally bored and want to find clad with maybe a chance at some jewelry. Frankly, the beach is better for both, with easier recoveries and nobody hassling you.
    sprailroad likes this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2574 times
    Metal Detecting
    Worse that can happen is someone in authority requests you stop. Always good to:

* Not use a huge digging shovel, trench type shovels much more conspicuous [I also like to carry a simple 5 in 1 painting tool, good for digging little plugs for near surface finds without having to dig a big hole]
    * Not tread in any areas designated historical, or active, maintained ball fields
    * Be extra neat digging and filling plugs
    * Have a trash bag latched to your belt, you'll need it
    cudamark, sprailroad and Toecutter like this.

Jul 2020
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Garrett ACE APEX
    5 times
    Check (in writing) with the parks department. I live in Traverse City, Michigan. I emailed our parks department to ask permission. I received a great email back telling me to follow our code of ethics and have fun. This included beaches, all parks and city gathering facilities. Their only request was to haul the trash, leave no holes and dig no large holes. I keep the email on my cell phone just in case I come across a over zealous citizen.
    sprailroad likes this.

Jul 2020
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Garrett ACE APEX
    5 times
    Be careful with beaches, contrary to popular posts not all beaches are open to detecting. In my area we have a National Lakeshore. They will arrest you, take your favorite toy and.... can take you vehicle. Asking permission can save you a few headaches.
    sprailroad likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8784 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    All the rules that govern a particular public site can be read without having to ask someone. They're not a secret. Asking someone does a couple of things that might not be in your/our best interest. It puts us on their radar with the associated questions of why you needed to ask, what are you trying to find, what kind of damage will you do, etc. The other is that the person you ask might have their own opinions on our hobby and might espouse their own beliefs and not go by the law. They may also be totally ignorant of what the law is and just give out the safe answer.....NO. Unless it's written that you must get permission from some bureaucrat, I've a firm believer of looking up the rules yourself and not asking anyone.
    sprailroad and GoDeep like this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    3161 times
    Quote Originally Posted by michealwhelan View Post
    Check (in writing) with the parks department. I live in Traverse City, Michigan. I emailed our parks department to ask permission. I received a great email back telling me to follow our code of ethics and have fun. This included beaches, all parks and city gathering facilities. Their only request was to haul the trash, leave no holes and dig no large holes. I keep the email on my cell phone just in case I come across a over zealous citizen.
    You really got lucky with Traverse City, Mich.

us
    Bryan

Jul 2012
    Mid-Missouri
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
    430 times
    I generally don't ask if the town/city has no prohibition in their code of ordinances. I do wave at all police and parks/utilities officials that drive by when I detect. 100% of the employees who approach me simply ask if I am having any luck and we exchange a few friendly words. The upset people seem to be citizens who, for whatever reason, don't think I should be out enjoying THEIR park.

From the other side of the coin, I work for a city of approximately 50,000 with a lot of history and a lot of parks. I find it refreshing when people call in and ask me if they can detect. I thank them for checking, and tell them that the city code does not prohibit detecting on City property. Had a couple ask me last Friday about detecting in a sidewalk tear-out, and they seemed a little surprised with my "Yes." When it stops raining here, I'll take my CTX down there and join them!
    Slingshot likes this.
    Bryan in Mid-Missouri
    "MidMoTreasure" on Youtube

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    6015 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If its public and not posted I follow the "easier to beg for forgiveness then to ask permission" moto... But knowing your rights is key...
    cudamark likes this.
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    8784 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    That's the thing, most times there is no mention of metal detecting at all (the way I like to see it). If there is nothing prohibiting it, it's allowed. That's how the law was setup in this country from the beginning. Some people think it's the other way around, that you need to get permission from the government to do anything. Unless they've passed a law prohibiting something, it's allowed until they do. That's one of the main reasons I wish people would quit asking. Sooner or later, the wrong person is going to get in charge of making the decision. I'd just as soon they don't know we exist. They won't think about banning something if the subject never hits their desk......or phone.....or email.....or text......etc. Please let bored bureaucrats and politicians live in blissful ignorance!
    ​Avitech Associate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links