cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the rules that govern a particular public site can be read without having to ask someone. They're not a secret. Asking someone does a couple of things that might not be in your/our best interest. It puts us on their radar with the associated questions of why you needed to ask, what are you trying to find, what kind of damage will you do, etc. The other is that the person you ask might have their own opinions on our hobby and might espouse their own beliefs and not go by the law. They may also be totally ignorant of what the law is and just give out the safe answer.....NO. Unless it's written that you must get permission from some bureaucrat, I've a firm believer of looking up the rules yourself and not asking anyone.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check (in writing) with the parks department. I live in Traverse City, Michigan. I emailed our parks department to ask permission. I received a great email back telling me to follow our code of ethics and have fun. This included beaches, all parks and city gathering facilities. Their only request was to haul the trash, leave no holes and dig no large holes. I keep the email on my cell phone just in case I come across a over zealous citizen. :occasion14:

You really got lucky with Traverse City, Mich.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally don't ask if the town/city has no prohibition in their code of ordinances. I do wave at all police and parks/utilities officials that drive by when I detect. 100% of the employees who approach me simply ask if I am having any luck and we exchange a few friendly words. The upset people seem to be citizens who, for whatever reason, don't think I should be out enjoying THEIR park.

From the other side of the coin, I work for a city of approximately 50,000 with a lot of history and a lot of parks. I find it refreshing when people call in and ask me if they can detect. I thank them for checking, and tell them that the city code does not prohibit detecting on City property. Had a couple ask me last Friday about detecting in a sidewalk tear-out, and they seemed a little surprised with my "Yes." When it stops raining here, I'll take my CTX down there and join them!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its public and not posted I follow the "easier to beg for forgiveness then to ask permission" moto... But knowing your rights is key...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the thing, most times there is no mention of metal detecting at all (the way I like to see it). If there is nothing prohibiting it, it's allowed. That's how the law was setup in this country from the beginning. Some people think it's the other way around, that you need to get permission from the government to do anything. Unless they've passed a law prohibiting something, it's allowed until they do. That's one of the main reasons I wish people would quit asking. Sooner or later, the wrong person is going to get in charge of making the decision. I'd just as soon they don't know we exist. They won't think about banning something if the subject never hits their desk......or phone.....or email.....or text......etc. Please let bored bureaucrats and politicians live in blissful ignorance!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread