City parks and property
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: City parks and property

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2018
    Mississippi
    Garrett AT Pro
    20 times
    Metal Detecting

City parks and property

With regards to city parks, as in a picnic or walking park, perhaps ballfields, or other city property, is that allowed? I'd think public property is okay, but I'm not sure if it depends on state to state or town to town. I'm looking for some easy spots in town to go detecting, and I was thinking maybe the ballpark or rec area. Are city properties generally okay or no?

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    14097 times
    Metal Detecting
    Depends on the local government.

Most of the local city, village and town parks where I live are agreeable provided you stay off courts and ballfields.

Sadly sometimes the guy who got there ahead of you and left holes or piles of dirt may ave soured the groundskeeper(s).
    Political correctness is facism pretending to be manners -- George Carlin

Apr 2020
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    as Charlie said, it depends of local goverment.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Sep 2018
    Mississippi
    Garrett AT Pro
    20 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ok, thanks. I guess I'll have to call the parks & rec office to see if they allow it or not.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Bodymore, Metalland
    Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
    1678 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    A quick internet search will get you started. Then when you get to said park look for signs saying you can't. If there are no signs and you can cut and re-plot a decent plug ( skill level, moisture level) go for it. What I mean to say is you should have the ability to replace the sod without someone being able to tell you dug there. Even the best guy can't do it in dry dirt though. The machines get better depth in wet ground anyway. Most often locations with historical significance are off limits. If you keep asking officials, someone will eventually tell you no. If you call around to ask, they will tell you no since its easier for bureaucrats to say no than educate themselves on the subject. If you're just coin shooting parks are easy n fun. Sports fields are touchy subjects and I avoid them so people don't get bent out of shape and I don't wonder if some soccer player sprained his ankle because of me. If you want some real finds you need to bust out your rolodex or cellphone and ask those friends with big old houses if you can come detect. Enjoy.

us
    Mar 2017
    Center of North America
    Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett AT Gold- Nel Attack coil. Garrett Carrot
    602 times
    I would just look online instead of calling anyone. Usually there are parks and rec web pages that will have park rules listed on the site.
    You can also probably find city ordinances online and look through them to see if there is anything referring to city property.

us
    Mar 2015
    Bodymore, Metalland
    Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
    1678 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Yes calling doesn't go well unless you are in a position to be name dropping.

us
    Sep 2018
    Mississippi
    Garrett AT Pro
    20 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great advice, thanks!
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9075 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Yup, look up the rules yourself. If there is nothing mentioned about detecting, go ahead and do it responsibly. We all would rather stay off the bureaucrat's radar, so, please don't go asking them! They're more likely to give you the easy answer.....NO, whether it's allowed or not, because it's the safe answer for them.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Sep 2018
    Mississippi
    Garrett AT Pro
    20 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Yup, look up the rules yourself. If there is nothing mentioned about detecting, go ahead and do it responsibly. We all would rather stay off the bureaucrat's radar, so, please don't go asking them! They're more likely to give you the easy answer.....NO, whether it's allowed or not, because it's the safe answer for them.
    Sounds good, thanks!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Apr 2007
    Missouri
    AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
    161 times
    Relic Hunting
    I have never had problems in parks.
    A2coins likes this.
    Have detector, Will Travel RJW

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    81044 times
    Cache Hunting
    Funny story. I stopped at the Nation Headquarters for the Natachez Trace Parkway in Tupelo, Mississippi once apon a time. I walked in to meet to young park employees at the receptionist desk. They ask if they could help me in normal voices. I ask could I metal detect the park and around some old guest houses they had behind HQ. When I noticed their faces change to shock mode I started backing up. The female told me a polite way that if they ever caught me on the Trace detecting that it would be Federal prison for a very long time and she added that if I knew where a artifact was and didn't report it there along with the GPS quads I could go to jail. That one kinda perplexed me. Anyway I left after saying thanks. Side note. I have heard of people hunting very near their property line but not me.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9075 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Looks like their scare tactic worked. I doubt seriously that any of their dire threats have actually been imposed on someone, unless they'd been warned before and ignored the warning. Even so, a long stretch in federal prison? Please...
    A2coins and Toecutter like this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    4522 times
    Be lucky that she is not your girlfriend. Serious, the young fools are the total wrong people to talk to. Next time, find out who is in charge of the park without telling why you want to talk to them. Good luck and good hunting.
    A2coins and sprailroad like this.

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
    2724 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'd just go, I wouldn't feel the need to ask anyone.
    Be advised, most parks are trash nightmares, you could barely pay me to detect an average park.
    A2coins likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links