Thoadin

Greenie
Sep 1, 2018
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With regards to city parks, as in a picnic or walking park, perhaps ballfields, or other city property, is that allowed? I'd think public property is okay, but I'm not sure if it depends on state to state or town to town. I'm looking for some easy spots in town to go detecting, and I was thinking maybe the ballpark or rec area. Are city properties generally okay or no?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the local government.

Most of the local city, village and town parks where I live are agreeable provided you stay off courts and ballfields.

Sadly sometimes the guy who got there ahead of you and left holes or piles of dirt may ave soured the groundskeeper(s).

OP
OP
T

Thoadin

Greenie
Sep 1, 2018
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, thanks. I guess I'll have to call the parks & rec office to see if they allow it or not.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick internet search will get you started. Then when you get to said park look for signs saying you can't. If there are no signs and you can cut and re-plot a decent plug ( skill level, moisture level) go for it. What I mean to say is you should have the ability to replace the sod without someone being able to tell you dug there. Even the best guy can't do it in dry dirt though. The machines get better depth in wet ground anyway. Most often locations with historical significance are off limits. If you keep asking officials, someone will eventually tell you no. If you call around to ask, they will tell you no since its easier for bureaucrats to say no than educate themselves on the subject. If you're just coin shooting parks are easy n fun. Sports fields are touchy subjects and I avoid them so people don't get bent out of shape and I don't wonder if some soccer player sprained his ankle because of me. If you want some real finds you need to bust out your rolodex or cellphone and ask those friends with big old houses if you can come detect. Enjoy.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just look online instead of calling anyone. Usually there are parks and rec web pages that will have park rules listed on the site.
You can also probably find city ordinances online and look through them to see if there is anything referring to city property.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes calling doesn't go well unless you are in a position to be name dropping.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, look up the rules yourself. If there is nothing mentioned about detecting, go ahead and do it responsibly. We all would rather stay off the bureaucrat's radar, so, please don't go asking them! They're more likely to give you the easy answer.....NO, whether it's allowed or not, because it's the safe answer for them.

OP
OP
T

Thoadin

Greenie
Sep 1, 2018
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup, look up the rules yourself. If there is nothing mentioned about detecting, go ahead and do it responsibly. We all would rather stay off the bureaucrat's radar, so, please don't go asking them! They're more likely to give you the easy answer.....NO, whether it's allowed or not, because it's the safe answer for them.

Sounds good, thanks!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have never had problems in parks.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Funny story. I stopped at the Nation Headquarters for the Natachez Trace Parkway in Tupelo, Mississippi once apon a time. I walked in to meet to young park employees at the receptionist desk. They ask if they could help me in normal voices. I ask could I metal detect the park and around some old guest houses they had behind HQ. When I noticed their faces change to shock mode I started backing up. The female told me a polite way that if they ever caught me on the Trace detecting that it would be Federal prison for a very long time and she added that if I knew where a artifact was and didn't report it there along with the GPS quads I could go to jail. That one kinda perplexed me. Anyway I left after saying thanks. Side note. I have heard of people hunting very near their property line but not me.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like their scare tactic worked. I doubt seriously that any of their dire threats have actually been imposed on someone, unless they'd been warned before and ignored the warning. Even so, a long stretch in federal prison? Please...

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be lucky that she is not your girlfriend. Serious, the young fools are the total wrong people to talk to. Next time, find out who is in charge of the park without telling why you want to talk to them. Good luck and good hunting.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd just go, I wouldn't feel the need to ask anyone.
Be advised, most parks are trash nightmares, you could barely pay me to detect an average park.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guess who pays for the parks lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd just go, I wouldn't feel the need to ask anyone.
Be advised, most parks are trash nightmares, you could barely pay me to detect an average park.

After researching the rules of the site and finding nothing prohibiting metal detecting, I would agree. That's why you don't ask people for permission. It brings their bias into the equation. That's the last thing I want to do is debate some knucklehead that has preconceived notions of what my hobby entails. They may have visions of grave robbers with backhoes or any number of imaginary destructive processes in their mind that don't have any basis of reality. Let's not fuel that imagination by asking them simple questions where they really don't know the legal answer. I love hunting trashy parks......if they're old enough. Modern urban parks have no interest for me however, unless I'm totally bored and want to find clad with maybe a chance at some jewelry. Frankly, the beach is better for both, with easier recoveries and nobody hassling you.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worse that can happen is someone in authority requests you stop. Always good to:

* Not use a huge digging shovel, trench type shovels much more conspicuous [I also like to carry a simple 5 in 1 painting tool, good for digging little plugs for near surface finds without having to dig a big hole]
* Not tread in any areas designated historical, or active, maintained ball fields
* Be extra neat digging and filling plugs
* Have a trash bag latched to your belt, you'll need it

michealwhelan

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2020
Traverse City, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check (in writing) with the parks department. I live in Traverse City, Michigan. I emailed our parks department to ask permission. I received a great email back telling me to follow our code of ethics and have fun. This included beaches, all parks and city gathering facilities. Their only request was to haul the trash, leave no holes and dig no large holes. I keep the email on my cell phone just in case I come across a over zealous citizen. :occasion14:

michealwhelan

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2020
Traverse City, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful with beaches, contrary to popular posts not all beaches are open to detecting. In my area we have a National Lakeshore. They will arrest you, take your favorite toy and.... can take you vehicle. Asking permission can save you a few headaches.:flag_red:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread