Alexander0125

Greenie
May 12, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine lab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some thorough research and have discovered that metal detectors are not prohibited on management areas but would like to double check. I found an area that was occupied by Indians and the rules of the area allow any kind of recreation, even hunting with permits. I wanted to make sure metal detecting would not be prohibited, can anyone solidify my claim?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alexander, I'm afraid you may have to make some phone calls
to find out for sure.

Many states have open hunting seasons right now (as in hunting
deer, etc.) so make sure you are not out there while that seasons
open..if you feel you have to, make sure you wear as much fluorescent
orange
as possible!

Yell-X

Jun 27, 2018
St. Petersburg
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything that I have researched stated metal detecting in Florida State Forests or Wildlife management areas is not allowed.

We have a lot of history located on state owned land. I know of several ghost towns and homesteads that I hike out to. Sadly we can’t detect there.

On YouTube check out Florida Trailblazer. This guy finds all sort of historic sites in Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FLtrailblazer

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they'd rather the relics rot in the ground than to allow you to use one of them there evil metal detectors.
The state land here allows me to destroy the trails on horseback , kill animals and fish , drive a boat and ride bike and let my dog run loose , build a fire . but I can't swing one of those evil metal detectors. WHY is this.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a nice conversation with a law Enforcement Officer who served for the National Wildlife Management area near Decatur, Ala. He told me no metal detecting would be tolerated and that you would be subject to arrest, fines and even imprisonment. Indian artifacts are also treated the same way. In the past they captured people with helicopter law enforcement who were not under a valid research permit and they were sentenced accordingly. These are the facts.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are called arpa crimes. The national forest service has them too. I worked for them over a ten year period. Many archaeological resources were looted and the results lead to prosecutions and fines. There are federal statues set up to conserve public lands from destruction without valid contract and purpose.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have done some thorough research and have discovered that metal detectors are not prohibited on management areas but would like to double check. I found an area that was occupied by Indians and the rules of the area allow any kind of recreation, even hunting with permits. I wanted to make sure metal detecting would not be prohibited, can anyone solidify my claim?

reading this, it does not look good. The State even restricts finds on submerged land!

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2000->Ch0267->Section 13 : Online Sunshine

Best bet is to try private land, some clubs have permissions for members I am told.

Good hunting

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Arkansas State owned WMA,s you can,t even remove a acorn.Basically you can take out legally taken game or fish and that,s it,if it,s on or in the ground it stays.Jim.

Cap'n

Greenie
Feb 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about in the National Park system? How hard is it to get permits to perform bonafide searches where nothing would be "touched" without an archaeologist present?

FloridaMike

Apr 8, 2014
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000/D, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The section of the statute looks like it is about archaeological sites.
I got into a discussion with the FWC and he said I would get in trouble detecting for arrow heads.
I said it's a metal detector not a stone detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread