Banned from searching, but not from finding?

pinkysree

Nov 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Northern Ireland, Sweden, Latvia, Canada, excavations can be conducted on private properties only with the permission granted by the owner of the land. You can freely search for treasures in Australia, the USA, the Canary Islands and the states of the Caribbean, the Dominican Republic, Indonesia, India, Uganda, Mexico, Vietnam, the Maldives and Latin American countries.In the United States, the centuries-old treasures must also be handed over to the state if they are found on the land that belongs to the federal government. Treasures found on the private territory belong to the finder or are shared with the land's owner.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"United States, the centuries-old treasures must also be handed over to the state if they are found on the land that belongs to the federal government"

That would depend on what you call treasure. if it is a native American artifact, yes you need to turn it over, if it has historic value, yes you need to give it up. if you find gold, silver or coins, you can keep it. if you find an old ship wreck there is a ton of paperwork, then you are supposed to fight with the country of the ships origin, which if it was Spain, they stole it from the Americas using slave labor, I've yet to figure out how they should have any rights.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Items found on private property in the US do not need to be “turned” over to anyone regardless of historical or monetary value.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in the U.S. you need property owners permission to enter, let alone "excavate." We cannot freely excavate anywhere we want.

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live in Nova Scotia treasure hunting is effectively banned. We had a treasure trove act that allowed treasure hunting with a license but it was repealed about 10 years ago. Anything you find of interest is owned by the government. Private property or not it does not matter. Technically you can metal detect but you can't look for anything. Well, unless you have a permit which they won't give you. They hassled some guy about a beer bottle he found because it was cultural property. As far as I know the only exception to all of this is Oak Island. It has its own set of rules.

So in summary the government here owns everything you find and you are a bad person for even looking for it. Oddly no one ever seems to find anything.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Where I live in Nova Scotia treasure hunting is effectively banned. We had a treasure trove act that allowed treasure hunting with a license but it was repealed about 10 years ago. Anything you find of interest is owned by the government. Private property or not it does not matter. Technically you can metal detect but you can't look for anything. Well, unless you have a permit which they won't give you. They hassled some guy about a beer bottle he found because it was cultural property. As far as I know the only exception to all of this is Oak Island. It has its own set of rules.

So in summary the government here owns everything you find and you are a bad person for even looking for it. Oddly no one ever seems to find anything.
That is very true .Myself i never find anything never have in the 40+ years of detecting i have done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions