Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And here is my reply back to David:

David,
I will intersperse my replies within your text:

Tom Thank you for your email and concerns. Unfortunately, I think you misunderstand the message on the Kentucky Archaeological survey website.

David, I quoted directly from the website. What other interpretation is there, except that a teacher would be in violation of the law, if they were to take a garden spade to a school yard? Do you know the article this was lifted from? It came from the following: http://www.state.ky.us/agencies/khc/teachers.htm Read it for yourself, and you will see that I do not mis-quote.

If a teacher plans the excavation of an archeological site on state or municipal lands then they need a permit from the University of Kentucky Department of Anthropology.

So far, so good. This is the law. Note that you say yourself that an excavation on an "archaeological site" would need a permit. The question is, are all schools "archaeological sites". Is all KY public land, across the entire state, an "archaeological site" by definition of law?

Since most school grounds have not been surveyed by professional archaeologists,

Wait, if they have "not been surveyed by professional archaeologists", then they are not yet deemed an archaeological site ("scheduled sites" as they say in England), within the bounds of this law.

then it would not be advisable

Advisable or lawful? If it is only your organization's "advice" (which is noble and fine), then say so. But do not tell someone it is the law, if it is only advice.

to undertake excavations without first conducting an archaeological survey. If the teacher adversely impacts an archaeological site

Yes, they can not adversely impact archaeological sites. But once again, since when are all school yards an archaeological site? Please cite for me, in the law, where it says all KY public land is an archaeological site. To the contrary, I have shown you that the law clearly states that there are sites WITHIN the public land that either are archaeological sites, or may be designated as such at future times. Not ALL land is an archaeological site. Did you read the citations I furnished you?

, not only have they committed a felony,

The teacher CAN dig (excavate or whatever) on a school ground, and will NOT have committed a felony. However, if they find something to indicate it is an archaeological site, THEN they follow the mandates of the law to report it, and the site may be deemed to be, thus thereafter, an archaeological site. THEN there may no longer be excavating there, except by an archaeologist.

but what message are they sending their students. You should also consider that archaeology is not just about excavation. It is also about the context of recovery and making inferences about the past.

Yes, this may be a noble thing. I am not saying you don't have good advice, nice concerns, etc.... I am only saying that you are mis-stating the law, as it reads right now.

Looting of archaeological sites is a national problem. In addition, archaeological resources are a nonrenewable resource; once a site is destroyed it is gone forever. I do not think you are interested in training students to loot sites. Nor am I. That is why we encourage teachers to take project archaeology workshops and to work with professional archaeologists when designing an archaeology program.

Fine, agreed. All noble concerns. But this does not justify mis-stating the law.

Finally, I must say I am somewhat taken aback by your concerns about what we do in Kentucky, and what Kentucky law does or does not speak to. How does this affect what you do in Salinas, California? Are you planning to excavate an archaeological site with your class, without the involvement of a professional archaeologist?

This link was brought to my attention by a friend, on a web forum I participate in. I will elaborate on that, and tell you fully who I am, and why I was interested, once this mis-information has been corrected by your organization.

In the meantime, I will say that I do docent work at several historical museums, have worked hand in hand with archaeologists over the years, and am very familiar with this topic. More on that after you have either shown me 1) where the law says all KY land is an archaeological site, or 2) if you can't, then please publish a correction that your admonition was only "advice" and not the law.

Sincerely, Tom Tanner, Salinas, CA

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Tom,

Thank you for helping us to get this clarified.

Now, David Pollack and Gwynn Henderson live together. I do not know if they are married. Also, she works under him for the Kentucky Archaeological Survey. If I am not mistaken, it is against the University of Kentucky's policies for one spouse to work under the other. Hence, they may not be married.

Just so you know.

Cavers5

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Cavers5, thanx for the information. Sort of puts a face on those clowns ::) Well several days have gone by since I sent them each an email, explaining point by point how they've mis-interpretted the law. They have not responded. Who do these guys answer too? I mean, if they are a tax-payer funded wing of government, who are they answerable to? Like, if they are a wing of a university, it would seem that I could take my complaint to the next level up at the university, right? Because if they ignore this, I either want to complain to the "next person up on the ladder", or to issue a correction OF MY OWN to all Kentucky state teachers. I would be sure to CC David and Gwynn in to the correction, JUST so they know that their mis-information has been corrected.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I just did some sleuthing around on the KY Heritage Council's website. I see that they are answerable to the "Kentucky Commerce Cabinet", a government wing. Going to the Kentucky Commerce Cabinet's website, I see that they have a "contact us" tab. I clicked on that, and sent the following question:

"Who does a person complain to, to report wrong-doing by the KY Heritage Council? Who does David Pollack and Gwynn Henderson report to? Efforts to correct a wrong-doing in their council have fallen on deaf ears. I would like to take it to the next level, if necessary. Thankyou. "

Once I get an answer back from this agency, I will let them know of the false information being disseminated by the Ky Heritage Council.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
I have read about this man, Meeks, before. He wants to make it a crime to metal detect in KY.
Metal detecting is a fine hobby. There is no reason to make it difficult on us.
But the fact is that more and more laws are being made to courtail the freedoms we enjoy.
Let's just vote them out.
Let's elect outdoorsmen to represent us.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Tom_in_CA said:
I just did some sleuthing around on the KY Heritage Council's website. I see that they are answerable to the "Kentucky Commerce Cabinet", a government wing. Going to the Kentucky Commerce Cabinet's website, I see that they have a "contact us" tab. I clicked on that, and sent the following question:

"Who does a person complain to, to report wrong-doing by the KY Heritage Council? Who does David Pollack and Gwynn Henderson report to? Efforts to correct a wrong-doing in their council have fallen on deaf ears. I would like to take it to the next level, if necessary. Thankyou. "

Once I get an answer back from this agency, I will let them know of the false information being disseminated by the Ky Heritage Council.

Keep us updated, thanks.

John

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ok gang, I got reply back from a "Donna" at the "Kentucky Commerce Cabinet". She actually called me today, which surprised me, because I just expected an email answer :) I told Donna that it would be easier if I just emailed her my issue, so that I could explain it better. She gave me her email address. I shot off the following email this afternoon to her:

"Donna,

Thank you for your quick reply today. .

I was surfing the web recently, and came the following link titled: "Teachers Please Don't Touch That Trowel".

http://www.state.ky.us/agencies/khc/teachers.htm

In the text, the following statement is made:

"Teachers, you should also be aware that it is unlawful in Kentucky to excavate on school grounds or other public lands without an antiquities permit from the Office of State Archaeology at the Department of Anthropology .... "

The context is, that if a teacher were to take a garden spade, for example, in a mock illustration of digging for her students, he/she would be breaking the law. This surprised me that any state in the union could have such restrictive laws for such an innocuous thing. So I set about researching, and determined that the author was incorrect. The fact of the law is, there can be no excavations in/on "archaeological sites", but not in/on "all Kentucky public land".

At the bottom of the article was a person's name "A. Gwynn Henderson" to write to "for more information". I sent an email asking where they came up with their assertion. Gwynn was kind enough to reply with full links to all the laws regarding this issue. I wrote back to her, and, at her suggestion, to David Pollack as well. I informed them that they were mis-interpretting the law. They are passing out false information to public school teachers. .

Yes, the law states that persons can not go poking around sensitive archaeological sites. That is a given. But the question is, are all schools in KY "archaeological sites"? Look closely at krs 164.725 and krs 164.730. They show that, in fact, there are "archaeological sites" WITHIN the state, but not that ALL the state is an archaeological site. When looking at those subsections, you can see .... how can a person "mark a location" (of an archaeological site), if the WHOLE state were an archaeological site, to begin with? And for a person to "report the discovery of a site" pre-supposes that some sites are archaeological sites, and others are NOT.

These things (no one so much as picking up a rock, or whatever) may be noble ideas that archaeologists embrace, and they may be advisory. But to state that they are the LAW is incorrect. I pointed out the error of this statement, and asked that they run a publish a correction, that it applied to archaeological sites, so designated. Gwynn and David are apparently indifferent, as they now ignore any communication.

Check out the law for yourself, and you will see the misinterpretation they have made. If they report to you, or your department, can you please prompt them to correct their mis-statement. If they persist at saying this is the law, point out to them the citations I have given here, as they apparently refuse to see. (Either that, or wish to continue passing out that which they know now is false?)

All I can figure is that, by telling the public they can not do anything without their say-so, they further their own department's power, authority, self-importance, etc.... Let me know what you can do about this, and thank you for letting me bring it to your attention.

Sincerely, Tom Tanner, Salinas, CA "

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey, you Kentucky guys owe me a 12-pack. How come no one there objected to this cr*p? If this were going on in CA, not only would I send a volley of email complaints like this, but I would also do the following: Show up at a pre-arranged time, right in front of these archies. I would alert the media and the police ahead of time, that I will be making a divot in a public school yard, and that if it were against the law, that I wish to be ticketed. Obviously, I wouldn't be ticketed. But if I was, the law would be on my side, and it would be thrown out in court. Then I would rub Gwynn and David's nose in it. Anyone there in Kentucky willing to do this? There ought to be some public grass right outside Gwynn or David's office that's not archaeologically senstive ::)

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hee! Hee! Tom, if I make it out to CA, I'll buy you lunch! I have relatives out there, so a visit this summer is possible.

No, there is no grass outside their office. They, as well as Meeks, live in the city. Hence, they don't land to roam on. Woops! What was I thinking....they think they have the whole state of Kentucky to roam on!!!!

Actually, when I emailed my reps about HB 295 and 296, I menioned that the Kentucky Heritage Council is asking for too much power and they need a system of checks and balances to keep them in their place!

Also, the director of KHC is from Louisville, KY as well as Meeks. Dave and Gwynn are in Lexington. KHC office is in Frankfort. KAS office is in Lexington.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ok Cavers, prime rib and lobster it is ;D I'll take you out to do some detecting while you're here too :D

Ok, here is Donna's response, short and simple, so far:

"Dear Mr. Tanner,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will look into it.

Donna Neary
"

We'll give it a few days, and see if she gets back to me. My hunch is that she will merely pass it back on to Gwynn and David, and say something like "what do you think about this? We have a complaint about you". And of course, Gwynn and David will say "This Tom in CA fellow is wrong, and we're right. Period". And then, even IF Donna replies to me, it will be something like "my hands are tied, sorry I can't help you, we simply have a difference of opinion here".

I have experience in this type bureaucracy d/t my line of const. work. When trying to get justice done d/t a faulty bidding process, or a competitor cheating the system, etc... I have, in the past, thought "it's as simple as bringing it to someone's attention". But that's where the maze of authorities starts :-\ Because, you see, when the government vests a certain authority into someone's hands, quite often, even though they have higher up superiors, yet "day to day" decisions as small as this minutia, are, by there very defintion, left into the hands of these underlings to handle. While this doesn't seem fair, there is a reason for it in government hierarchy: If it were not this way, EVERYONE would decline to deal with middle-management, and always think they can keep appealing the simplest decisions "all the way to the top", when in fact, it is the lower level adminstrators, whose job it is, to handle those things. So what I'm saying is, it has to be a really nasty corruption, crime, or whatever, for higher ups to "get involved". Obviously, in this case, we are at a disadvantage, because the average person would say "who cares about this? Isn't preservation a good thing? and thus Gwynn and David's interpretation is for a noble cause? Why does someone in CA care about such thing in KY?" So the odds are, this will die with no action.

But the good thing is that the David and Gwynn types will, in the future, have this in the back of their mind, to think twice about their statements. If that was all that came out of this, that alone would be a good thing.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Prime rib? Wow! I was thinking Mickey D's! LOL! Just kidding!

Unfortunately, I've dealt with these people before. If they would think about it, that would help. They don't at all. They think they have all the power.

By the way, Donna is the director of KHC from Louisville who is one of those backing Meeks. If she helps, she'll have my respect, but I doubt she will. She's the new director, just came in a few months ago.

If they have their way, we're figuratively screwed! No kidding, no joke. Metal detecting will be banned.

Cavers5

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Cavers (and other KY folk), I've given it a few days, and it appears they are ignoring me now.

Anyone there wish to be a "cause celebre" and challenge this thing? Notify the KY archie heritage people, notify the police, and notify the media, that you intend to dig a plug in a school yard (pick one built in the 1970s or later), at an appointed time. Notify them ahead of time, in writing, if they believe the law really prohibits this, that they welcome to come give you a ticket. Then choose the option to fight your ticket, and show the judge how KY law only applies to "archaeological sites" and that not all KY public land, is an archaeological site, as the law clearly says. Once he throws it out, we go back to Gwynn and Dave and demand a retraction!

Anyone care to be the test subject? Let's stop this nonsense in KY before the logic spreads to other states (especially CA! haha)

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Tom,

I think that is a wonderful suggestion, but I doubt that you will have any individual takers. A concerted group effort might work, but I don't even know how many official detecting clubs there are in Kentucky.

I often wonder how many other Kentucky detectorists take the time to protect their hobby/sport.

At least now I know there are two or three of us trying. Before, I thought I was going to have to do it by myself. It was gratifying to see Mark S. staying on top of things. I honestly don't know if any other Kentucky metal detectorists have even tried to get in touch with their reps, etc. Will they get their voices after we lost metal detecting? What a shame!

Thank you so much for your efforts.

Cavers5

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Cavers, well YOU live in KY, right? Gwynn and David are in Lexington, right? How far from there are you? Why can't you challenge this? It will be easy: IF they even gave you a ticket, it would be akin to a traffic ticket level of things. When it comes time to state your case in court, you merely show them, as I've shown here, that this is not what the law says. It will be thrown out, and the state of KY will have "precedent" on their side from then on.

As far as other people in KY, a quick search of the internet shows there's many dealers in KY and several clubs around the state. Here's a club in Florence, for example: http://www.nkthc.com/ And it seems there's a club in Lexington itself. Anyhow, seems there'd be lots of KY folks, of which ONE of you guys should seem able to go put a stop to this nonsense with a simple "test the system" plug.

If you are willing to do this, or know of someone who will, I'll do the following: I'll get a KY lawyer to write a letter ahead of time, detailing how they've read the law, and determined that there is no violation for someone to take a trowel to a non-historic non-archaeological school yard.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ok gang, I sent the following email to Gwynn and David this morning. It's a "bluff". Ie.: not sure if any hunter in KY is a "taker" to actually do such a thing. But even if not, it might open these guy's eyes:

David and Gwynn,

I see that you have not responded to my request that you publish a retraction of your admonition: "Teachers Don't Touch that Trowel". Apparently you have either not read the portions of the law I directed you to, which clearly state there are "archaeological sites" and there are "non archaeological sites" within public lands in KY. Either that, or you are willfully misleading people for your own organization's self-importance, power, etc....

The police, media, and yourselves will be notified of a divot that will be dug, at an appointed time, in an appointed schoolyard, near you. The police will be invited to come out and issue a ticket. If that is done, it will obviously be overturned in court, since it is not a violation of law. The results will be sent to all schools, to correct your false information.

Please save us this hassle and correct your mis-statement. Just state that your information was "advisory" only, and all will be settled. We can us a lot of time, and you, a lot of embarassment.

Sincerely,

Tom Tanner, Salinas, CA

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Tom_in_CA said:
Ok gang, I sent the following email to Gwynn and David this morning. It's a "bluff". Ie.: not sure if any hunter in KY is a "taker" to actually do such a thing. But even if not, it might open these guy's eyes:

David and Gwynn,

I see that you have not responded to my request that you publish a retraction of your admonition: "Teachers Don't Touch that Trowel". Apparently you have either not read the portions of the law I directed you to, which clearly state there are "archaeological sites" and there are "non archaeological sites" within public lands in KY. Either that, or you are willfully misleading people for your own organization's self-importance, power, etc....

The police, media, and yourselves will be notified of a divot that will be dug, at an appointed time, in an appointed schoolyard, near you. The police will be invited to come out and issue a ticket. If that is done, it will obviously be overturned in court, since it is not a violation of law. The results will be sent to all schools, to correct your false information.

Please save us this hassle and correct your mis-statement. Just state that your information was "advisory" only, and all will be settled. We can us a lot of time, and you, a lot of embarassment.

Sincerely,

Tom Tanner, Salinas, CA

You made a little spelling boo boo at the end.

John

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
oops, the last line should have read: "we can SAVE us a lot of time ........."

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Tom,

I used to to live in Lexington, but currently I live several hours away. Believe me, if I could do this I would. I am currently dealing with a cancer diagnosis and have an impending major surgery this month. As of right now, I am only able to use my mouth and computer (emailing against bills and trying to rally some troops...er, metal detecting people) to take note of what's going on.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. If anybody in Kentucky is reading this, at least they can get an idea of what is currently going on.

I must say, I truly admire your "get-up and go" to get this straightened out. It gives me heart to know that there are strong, brave people still out there! I hope you have some healthy active takers, esp. a group, on your offer!

Sincerely,
Cavers5

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ouch :o :-\ :-\ I'm pulling for you on your cancer. Sorry to hear that. My wife and I will send up a prayer on your behalf bro. :-[ :-[

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Thanks. Cancer sucks, to put it bluntly.

However, aside from health and family, metal detecting is next in line on my list of priorities. It must be protected. My children love to detect and I'm not about to let them suffer because I was too lazy or chickenshi? to to do anything about it!

Of course, we can't change the ignorant a??hole archs out there, but we sure can fight their crap!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread