Reality Check for New Metal Detecting Hobbyists

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's more "Reality" than those dumb shows. All the shows do is fill us all with hope and envy!!!!!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember - EVERYTHING on TV is editable!!!!!! They show YOU, want they think YOU want to see!!!! RATINGS = MONEY!!!!!!!!!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys even though its edited etc I think its good on a way because it promotes the hobby. The more ppl interested the more ppl we have that will want to stand together against the rules and regs that are trying to stop us from what we have a right to do. Yes there are going to be troublemakers but that's everywhere.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also note! Myself and a couple others I know when pitching a tizzy about how our statements were edited to sound as though we stated the opposite of what we had. "The show is edited for entertainment value" is the standard reply. What drives me nuts is the guys digging, blowing up things & appearing to not fill holes. And nothing about filling your holes etc. being said Always have visions of a herd of newbies with brand new $79 machines and no respect after watching these shows.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dig Wars is some what believable, also I have heard CHICAGO RON is a standup guy. If he thinks things were planted for them to find he would quit the show. I dont know him personally and I know some people will do anything for money but I heard he was a straight up guy. As fo diggers,,,,,,, it makes me sick watching these guys say crap like CIV, COLOGN, AND CRAP LIKE THAT.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys even though its edited etc I think its good on a way because it promotes the hobby. The more ppl interested the more ppl we have that will want to stand together against the rules and regs that are trying to stop us from what we have a right to do. Yes there are going to be troublemakers but that's everywhere.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

You have a completely backward understanding of the people in this hobby. The more people who are jumping into metal detecting because they see it on TV and think it so simple and easy, the more people there are leaving open holes, trash on the ground, trespassing and violating the other code of ethics standards many of us try to uphold. Yes, there are always some of those types, but the TV shows enhance the problems and create MORE rules against detecting.

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a completely backward understanding of the people in this hobby. The more people who are jumping into metal detecting because they see it on TV and think it so simple and easy, the more people there are leaving open holes, trash on the ground, trespassing and violating the other code of ethics standards many of us try to uphold. Yes, there are always some of those types, but the TV shows enhance the problems and create MORE rules against detecting.

Agreed. 100%. TV shows about metal detecting are only going to hurt the hobby.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Video Terry ! is that a Years worth of Finds :o

I'm not sure what your comment
For all of you that think "Dig Wars" is a "Reality" show.
means. If you had been followed around daily with cameras I saw at least a few finds that would have made
me Happy.

Now get someone to procure that many private sites, that were not hunted,
and make another 8 Minute Video.

Reality, as far as the sites we get to hunt, No your right. Dig Wars, & Diggers are not reality.

But I have not seen any finds by them that I Believe they planted.
they just received the Cream of the Crop when it comes to hunting sites,
And just because you only see maybe 12 minutes of detecting on a 30 minute show,
once you remove commercials, Replays after commercials, acting up for the producers, & talking
about the finds, a weeks worth of finds end up not being recorded or on the cutting room floor.

If your saying they B.S. about their Finds, I'd say your wrong.
it's just smoke & mirrors on how easy it is to find several keepers in 12 Minutes Time :unhappysmiley:

If you had been followed around at a site where a gun like this would fit
the history,

Untitled.jpg

you probably would have been told to re-Bury it.
then once the cameras were there they would film you
digging it, and being Surprised. Then they would film you Yelling
and acting like you just dug your first find ever & it
was the motherload
then the editors would get it and Researchers would work to
find out what the last mint condition one sold for. That will be "Potential Value"
if you had dug one in mint condition.

Of course then The editors will edit commercials in between your Fake Surprise &
yelling, And where everyone comes Running, Then replay it
after the Commercial, for all those with alzheimers who forgot while fast forwarding through the commercial

You now have 6 to 7 minutes of a show :laughing7:

Still would have been a real Find, just not real reaction & info.

again, Sorry your Video got more Discussion on TV shows then your Finds,
But I enjoyed seeing them :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm I just saw this again and the reply by Jason Enid about how im backwards in my understanding of people..umm 1st not a good way to reply to me, 2nd kiss my backwards view point. With my job I saw the worst of ppl so I don't underestimate what depths ppl can sink to. There are tons of jackasses out here that ruin everything for others. this one just hits us since well duh we're here because we metal detect.
Do I think these people from the shows are faking, I doubt it because you can see them digging in undisturbed soil, at the end you see the entire load of the finds which wasn't shown, jeez its a half hour show, what do u want them showing the 200 pieces of crap they dug? They get to hunt on grounds we dream of, they don't get to keep any of it, read about the shows and find out a little more than the few minutes you see. Its entertainment and I do think they should emphasize that 99% of the time it's junk but by no means should we be sitting here making comments eluding to curbing ppl from joining in the hobby just because they saw a show and it interested them. How did you start into this hobby, you picked your nose for a big juicy one and thought hmm metal detecting would be cool? Don't assume and don't talk out of your rear it makes for crappy comments.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm I just saw this again and the reply by Jason Enid about how im backwards in my understanding of people..umm 1st not a good way to reply to me, 2nd kiss my backwards view point. With my job I saw the worst of ppl so I don't underestimate what depths ppl can sink to. There are tons of jackasses out here that ruin everything for others. this one just hits us since well duh we're here because we metal detect.
Do I think these people from the shows are faking, I doubt it because you can see them digging in undisturbed soil, at the end you see the entire load of the finds which wasn't shown, jeez its a half hour show, what do u want them showing the 200 pieces of crap they dug? They get to hunt on grounds we dream of, they don't get to keep any of it, read about the shows and find out a little more than the few minutes you see. Its entertainment and I do think they should emphasize that 99% of the time it's junk but by no means should we be sitting here making comments eluding to curbing ppl from joining in the hobby just because they saw a show and it interested them. How did you start into this hobby, you picked your nose for a big juicy one and thought hmm metal detecting would be cool? Don't assume and don't talk out of your rear it makes for crappy comments.

Hmmm, I don't remember if it was A big Juicy one or not.
But even though I agree , it's not the end of the world if someone new buys a detector,
Take a deep Breath, count to 5, Breathe out.....
Don't ya feel Better ? :laughing9:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, feel persecuted much? I never attacked you, but you seem willing to jump in and attack me for my opinion. I never said they were faking finds. I never said to exclude anyone from the hobby, only that the wrong exposure attracts MORE of the wrong people. I started this hobby because I read a treasure magazine which had lots of articles about how to do it right and not screw it up for everyone else. Metal detecting was the complete opposite of "cool" back in the 1980s. As for the rest of your comments telling me to kiss your ass (you were just too week to actually say it) kiss it yourself once you pull your head out of it.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They need to do short " how to " clips on every show of dig wars. How to dig a plug, how to replace the plug, how to store you finds and so forth.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watched the Fort Phantom episode and I'm wondering why all the detectors sound identical whether its a Minelab, Tesoro, or Tecknetics?

Last edited:

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Easier to edit, they don't have to put the sound in for each individual machine.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easier to edit, they don't have to put the sound in for each individual machine.

Yes I thought about that after I posted last comment, but man with today's technology it seems like they could get actual audio and edit it from there. They could just as well be swinging a broomstick and it mean about the same to me.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If they had sound engineers that metal detected or understood it then it could happen. But these shows are low budget and getting to know the metal detectorist world means spending more money. In other words if our government treated our money like the backers of a tv show the united states wouldn't be in the debt it's in. Or if we could get rid of oblammer the Islamic president.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff, the video represents about seven-months worth of digging, and the flintlock is a TOY from the 1960s with plastic handles. If cameras followed me around (and they have in Arizona for the History Channel), they would be asleep in less than an hour - LOL! We (I), metal detect for the fun of the chase and never knowing what is going to be in that next plug I dig. I HATE these shows that highlight the TREASURE as opposed to the HOBBY, and just being out there at 6am with nature and your machine watching the sunrise and saying to yourself - "Today is the day." Nuff said.

Nice Video Terry ! is that a Years worth of Finds :o

I'm not sure what your comment
means. If you had been followed around daily with cameras I saw at least a few finds that would have made
me Happy.

Now get someone to procure that many private sites, that were not hunted,
and make another 8 Minute Video.

Reality, as far as the sites we get to hunt, No your right. Dig Wars, & Diggers are not reality.

But I have not seen any finds by them that I Believe they planted.
they just received the Cream of the Crop when it comes to hunting sites,
And just because you only see maybe 12 minutes of detecting on a 30 minute show,
once you remove commercials, Replays after commercials, acting up for the producers, & talking
about the finds, a weeks worth of finds end up not being recorded or on the cutting room floor.

If your saying they B.S. about their Finds, I'd say your wrong.
it's just smoke & mirrors on how easy it is to find several keepers in 12 Minutes Time :unhappysmiley:

If you had been followed around at a site where a gun like this would fit
the history,

View attachment 851534

you probably would have been told to re-Bury it.
then once the cameras were there they would film you
digging it, and being Surprised. Then they would film you Yelling
and acting like you just dug your first find ever & it
was the motherload
then the editors would get it and Researchers would work to
find out what the last mint condition one sold for. That will be "Potential Value"
if you had dug one in mint condition.

Of course then The editors will edit commercials in between your Fake Surprise &
yelling, And where everyone comes Running, Then replay it
after the Commercial, for all those with alzheimers who forgot while fast forwarding through the commercial

You now have 6 to 7 minutes of a show :laughing7:

Still would have been a real Find, just not real reaction & info.

again, Sorry your Video got more Discussion on TV shows then your Finds,
But I enjoyed seeing them :icon_thumright:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My thoughts

Dig Wars is some what believable, also I have heard CHICAGO RON is a standup guy. If he thinks things were planted for them to find he would quit the show. I dont know him personally and I know some people will do anything for money but I heard he was a straight up guy. As fo diggers,,,,,,, it makes me sick watching these guys say crap like CIV, COLOGN, AND CRAP LIKE THAT.

So "juice" isn't an official word either??

That video has a lot of paper towels in it :laughing7:.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions