Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a cool area. I hope you hunt the hell out of it. Its not that we didn't believe you, it was just the multiple stories thing in the beginning.

Have you ever looked to see whats at the bottom of that well? What State do you live in?

and no worries, Im not looking to come to your house..lol

Doodle Bug

Feb 4, 2013
What metal detector did you use?

Any video of actually finding it?

It is a very nice video of you walking around.

Nice plug! (For your video that is.)

Happy hunting!!!

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Southern New York Around the Allegheny County area. 2 months back we had our well water tested ( that is obituary not the current well we use) anyway very old guy he haven't tested the a hand dug well for 10 years or something and scene the well was in sight from the house window he wanted to do it. Do we got a bucket, a 15 ft long rope and a rock. We put the rope and attached it to the small metal bucket and put the rock in the bucket so it would sink. Around 8 ft half the well stopped to a nice level gravel dirt floor. (I have no idea I just assume) Then the other half kept going and going and going until I had to pull it back up because the rope was to short! (Haha) so I have no idea how deep it is. I have no idea so if u know can you guys tell me if it is worth checking out? How old is it? Should I go to the bottom and if so how? Any comments to this I would love to hear.

Doodle Bug

Feb 4, 2013
Send down a magnet on a rope!

Fishing line and sinker, mark line when it hits the bottom and measure depth.

Gopro camera with a flashlight on a rope would let you see the bottom, but make sure it it is secure!

I would advise NOT to physically enter the well!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah I don't want to die how expensive is it to buy a GOOD waterproof camera that can take video?

Doodle Bug

Feb 4, 2013
I think the new low end gopro 4 runs less than 150 bucks, see if someone you know has one and would like to check out your well. Maybe offer to share anything retrieved from it.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I don't know anybody that has one o well maybe I will get one soon

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you got enough coinage to get you a go pro.
Plus then you could wear it while your detecting, instead of caring around you phone in one hand.

Doodle is right thou,

A magnetic to see if it sticks to anything, and for sure a camera and flashlight on a rope. That place could have been used later to dump trash, so you might find some goodies

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Tell me more about the magnet and can it pick up coins? I don't think coins are magnetic.

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look in it with a flashlight.if you see a rope attached down low pull it up gently.is it brick lined?feel for loose bricks or run your detector around the inside(don't drop it).few people used wells for trash dumps.but you could use something like a hand hay rake to scoop out the bottom but the first stuff you pull up will probably be sticks and leaves because heavy things like bottles and metals will sink to the bottom over time.DO NOT put your body inside a well no matter how sturdy and will built it appears.knock loose the wrong stone/brick or put pressure at a weak spot and you could be BURIED ALIVE.have you located the outhouse(privy)pits yet?some old bottles are worth much more than coins and can tell you alot more about the people that lived there.one pit i dug was mostly "CARUBO THE WOMEN'S TONIC","VICK VAPO RUB", and one two shot derringer.seems to me the lady would go to the privy to sneak a shot or two of "tonic" and use the vicks to cover the smell of booze.while drunk she had to pee but forgot about her muff pistol,a splash 5 feet down was a reminder to be more careful in the future.

Last edited:

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Saw someone hang a metal detector down a well to check for metal once.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I just don't want the rope to come loose and loose the metal detector

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor Freight has several magnets you could attach a rope to. Staples sells a Vivitar Cam that has a water proof housing for around $70.00 bucks. I wouldnt run a detector down in the hole, asking to get it stuck. Get some old maps and see where the buildings was or any other structures. Look for two rocks lol.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if you film with your phone turn it sideways, your video is really small.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread