Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Thread is for my series "The Search For Silver" where I post videos of myself going out and finding silver in various ways. It might be a coin roll hunt or a coin shop purchase or a combination of both. Every silver gain is well documented and you get the chance to follow along as I fill out my collections and add silver to the stack!

Here is the first episode:

Enjoy!

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Episode #2: 1800s Quarter Found in the Junk!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting idea for a series. My suggestion is go to garage sales in your area. I find most of my stuff at them. The easy way to figure values is by dime weight. A Dime weighs about 1/10 of an ounce. So if you find a ring that feels about the same as a dime then you figure its worth about 10% of an ounce. For gold figure everything on Half dime weights since most of your jewelry will be 10k or 41.7% gold. Don't forget to check lapel pins and tie tacks some of the older ones will be gold. These and Earrings are the most missed. Ear rings will often be marked on the pin part and usually require a magnifier to read. But if you are at a sell and can look real close you can often spot a marking and chance it. Some stuff that is older gold will be marked with a P like "14k P" The P stands for "Plumb" which was an old way to say that the gold was at least 14k or better. You will also find sterling candle labras, plates, Cups, and silverware. Thought in the past 5 years the amounts I found have dwindled off. You also might want to look up English, French and German Hall Marks. Most stuff will be marked 925, sterling or Coin (.900 Silver, often made from melted down coins, Older silverware will be marked like this). And some times you will run into stuff that isn't marked. With enough experience you will be able to tell whats good and whats not. Good Luck on your series!!!

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I'm actually really glad you said that because I have an upcoming episode where I found some great stuff at a garage sale! It might not be out for a couple weeks, but I'll definitely post it here when it comes out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread