Is time for a new directory?

HawkeyeJon

Oct 3, 2008
In 1971, Thomas Penfield wrote the "Directory of Buried or Sunken Treasures and Lost Mines of the United States", containing 2,269 treasure leads throughout the U.S.
In 1985, Thomas P. Terry came out with the 10-volume set of "The U.S. Treasure Atlas", listing close to 5,000 leads, and over 45,000 sites (ghost towns, forts, etc.).
After reading Terry's books, I became fascinated with the amount of mistakes that were made in the books. In an attempt to track the bibliography info for Terry's listings, I came across several other leads. Now, after 28 years of research, (I can't believe it been that long), a few of my friends are telling me its time to release my information. My records indicate over 11,000 lost or found mines, treasures and/or caches in the U.S. (Sorry, no ghost towns, forts, or shipwrecks, those files have not been organized yet.)
My question is, is it time for a new directory? Would anyone be interested? And I guess, what's the information worth?

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Yep, it may be time for a new directory. But as for price, I would see what the the entire set of Terry's book sell for and adjust the price accordingly. Hope it helps.

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
Terry's books are a great source for leads but you need to be very familiar with the areas and do additional research to overcome the inconsistencies. Most treasure stories vary anyway for various reasons. ::)

New info is always welcome.

LD

Inform

Greenie
May 3, 2009
For us it is time! Talk to a publisher, and if they are not interested, talk to a REPUTABLE self publishing company. Some of them have made best sellers in recent years. Trust your instincts, and we would all love to purchase your information, Go for it!

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
I think a new directory would be a waste of time, effort, and money.

Look at all the information that has been published on "The Lost Dutchman." You could spend your life just trying to list all the articles, writers, sources, etc on the LDM alone. And I doubt if a new directory with that information would help anyone locate the LDM, or any other treasure that has been listed in directories by Penfield, Probert, Marx, etc.

Would you buy a new directory? I wouldn't!

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
It would depend on the cost versus content. If I leaf through something and feel like reading it will put me in the right frame of mind and it's affordable--I'd buy it.

I like to read. :icon_study:

LD

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
I'm with ldablo. Terry's 10 volume set is going for $35 on fleabay right now, so if you actually have 11,000 leads, even half of that would be some good reading, if nothing else. I'm in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions