...the satchel with his life savings and valuable papers was lost in the stream

K

Kentucky Kache

Here's a good location for a scuba diver to search. On June 18, 1884, Rev. J. H. Tobias, a circuit riding preacher, was crossing Squaw Creek in northwestern Missouri, when his buggy tipped over and his team drowned. Tobias managed to save himself but the satchel with his life savings and valuable papers was lost in the stream. Local settlers donated the preacher another buggy and team.
At the time of his loss, Rev. Tobias was headquartered at Oregon, Mo. The accident occurred at a crossing near Ross Grove.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
You don't need to scuba dive that creek lol. It isn't more then knee deep anymore. The problem with this story is that area is now a waterfowl and game refuge. You could probably go detecting there but its mostly just a big marsh now.

Attachments

• sqc_map.jpg
    sqc_map.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 518
OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Might be a good place to search, if you could get permission.
Thanks for the update.

Did you know there is a movie about this? It's not about the treasure, but about the preacher, Rev. Tobias. The accident in the creek is in the movie, which is what got me to researching it.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cache Crazy, what is the name of the movie?

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

I don't remember the name of the movie, it's been a while. It was an old movie, probably 50s, or maybe 60s (color). I'll see if I can find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread