Haydens money is still somewhere in the canyon (NV)

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
Re: Hayden's money is still somewhere in the canyon (NV)

Sorry Tapout I was flapping on another post. I did go out and detected the area but the google earth photo wasn't what it looked like. So now I've been searching through the archives for the solid info I need.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Maybe he meant "Did you look in the well?"

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010

panning man said:
lastleg said:
If old man Hayden divided the load evenly there was 38 lbs in each sack
according to my math. So if some lucky TH'er finds a sack with 425 double
eagles inside, DON'T QUIT YET. lastleg

And how much is a double eagle going for these days?

I believe around $700, but dont quote me on that

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used

Sorry lastleg I'm not going down this thing when I'm alone. You need a really safe setup to get down and out of this hole. Not to mention a very trustworthy partner :thumbsup: This is the well that old man Pogue dug.

My other lead is several miles from here. Still researching it. NVRADAR

Attachments

• DSC04480.JPG
    DSC04480.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC04479.JPG
    DSC04479.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 713
  • DSC04480.JPG
    DSC04480.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 656
  • DSC04479.JPG
    DSC04479.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 690

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

nvradar:

I am impressed. Good work. That ladder hasn't been used in a very long
time. You are saying this is the well at the old stage stop? Wish we had some
shots of the station and the surrounding terrain. This brings up a touchy
subject which is the status of the land under the station. If one is seriously
going for it caution should be exercised.

Also if KK could dig up this tale so could others of the type that does not
ask and never tells. No, not those guys, I mean the professional cache guys.
Years ago someone donated a stack of "Desert" mags for a library book sale
and I picked up all I could find. You can bet the full-timers studied them as well.

Another thing that is touchy in today's PC environment. Back in those days
Hayden might have been looked down upon as a "stingy old squaw man".
Could be Ely's finest didn't welcome him alive or dead.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

lastleg said:
nvradar:
Also if KK could dig up this tale so could others of the type that does not
ask and never tells. No, not those guys, I mean the professional cache guys.
Years ago someone donated a stack of "Desert" mags for a library book sale
and I picked up all I could find. You can bet the full-timers studied them as well.

Just for the record, I don't tell either, unless it's a place I will never get to go and search. Maybe someone can get some good from it.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GoldBack said:
panning man said:
lastleg said:
If old man Hayden divided the load evenly there was 38 lbs in each sack
according to my math. So if some lucky TH'er finds a sack with 425 double
eagles inside, DON'T QUIT YET. lastleg

And how much is a double eagle going for these days?

I believe around $700, but dont quote me on that

Buy all you can get for $700.00 each. Todays going rate is a little over $1500.00 ea. :o

The Saint Gaudens' double eagle is named for the designer, Augustus St. Gaudens, one of the premier sculptors in American history. Theodore Roosevelt imposed upon him in his last few years to redesign the nation's coinage at the beginning of the 20th century. St. Gaudens' work on the high-relief $20 gold piece is considered to be one of the most extraordinary pieces of art on any American coin. The mint eventually insisted on a low-relief version, as the high-relief coin took up to eleven strikes to bring up the details. Only 11,250 of these coins were struck in 1907. The current value of these coins is over $100,000.00 each.:o :o :o

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used

Lastleg
It is a very well known tale of Pogues Station here in Nevada. I have spoke with other folks on other sites. One couple said they have been going for 20 + years. Don't know if they found anything. Like I said I just stopped in to md a little there while I was searching another lead I found while researching Hayden. I owe that lead to KK for posting the original story. I hope to send a pic or two to him if the lead pans out. The cabin he built has been dozed so there is very little to mark where it once was. This is what the country is..... nada!! Miles of empty! And that is why I love NV.... nobody around for MILES AND MILES literally so I'm not to concerned about the tree huggers. :laughing9: If anyone new reads this far down scroll up and I tell what info I found on Haydens gold. It was there!!! According to what I read.

Attachments

• DSC04481.JPG
    DSC04481.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 637
  • DSC04471.JPG
    DSC04471.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 650

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used

Goodguy
It wouldn't take but a few of those to make me very very happy :thumbsup:

micprec

Mar 7, 2011
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro

just wondering in thee was any updates on this yet? i am planning a trip out there this summer for a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has been there lately? thanks and happy hunting, michael

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

nvradar:

The legend as told by KK was that old man Hayden just fixed up the station so
that he and the squaw could live in it. It said nothing about him building a cabin.
He wouldn't have time for that anyway if you follow the story.
You say the station was bulldozed? I would have thought it would have been
made an historical site. I am ready to write this one off.
micprec, is you find the location of Pogue's Station please tell us your impressions.

Boltz

Greenie
Jun 29, 2006
Central Oklahoma

Anyone check where the poop landed? Oops. Thought not.

Chief SHTR Recon Ptrl. lead.

Bare hands and brave hearts, theres pay in that there funk.

Hearts of gold, nose of nothing. ;D

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

That's kinda what I was thinking.

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used

Hey lastleg it wasn't the Ritz!!! :laughing9:

Attachments

• Pogue03.png
    Pogue03.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 853

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

No, not the Ritz, just a crackerbox.

stkzxcv

Jan 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well fellas I have good news and bad news from the Nv. archives. I found a book that told of Hayden and the money he DID hide.He sold his ranch which he called the Stonehouse Hay Ranch.He did take the $10,000+ and hid it in the rocks above his ranch.The thing was he tied a long length of rawhide to the sacks and lowered them into a hole in the rocks.At some point a hungry coyote caught wind of it and chewed the rawhide dropping the gold to the bottom of the hole with no sign of the rope. The account goes Mr. Hayden went to retrieve his gold and in typical fashion could not find it because the rope was gone.He searched for quite some time and he DID GIVE UP ON IT!!! Enter one indian fellow that went by the name of HUMBUG.He was believed to have ESP.Hayden asked for his help and the story goes he found the money for Hayden. ??? Bad or good you decide. The GOOOOOD news is in the same book I found another very reasonable sounding account of some burried loot.So more archives to dig through.This one is quite obscure so I`m hoping. NVRADAR

Hey nvrader, I found this site while researching Ellision Canyon, great string of info. Came across this story about 2 years ago before moving to southern NV and it so intriguing! Headed to this area for some panning this summer and wanted to do a little more research. What was the name of the book you found in the NV archives? Just curious. Thanks.

NetMiner

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks. I just registered on the site after reading this thread and spending the day piddling around on the web looking for some clues. While it's a fascinating story, it seems to me that something doesn't exactly jive. For example; I seem to get close to the area the directions in this post indicate, and you can see what I'm looking at by searching goolge maps for "U.S. 6 & White Pine County Road 10, NV". That may be close to the area. However, according to some genealogy records from Ely, Owen Cazier, who died in 1931 was said to have bought the Hayden ranch "on the White River". I just can't seem to put the White River anywhere close to the location "24 miles SW of Ely". Has anyone ever put an exact location on this ranch? I know the target is not the ranch itself, I just figured it's the starting point.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
That's good research but does not prove it was the same property. The ranch site has been proven previously. I will try to clear
this up when I get time.

We seem to have lost member Kentucky Kache. If anyone knows why he left I'd appreciate knowing.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
NetMiner, just checked an old Nevada map and the White River checks out on the Hayden Ranch. Like I thought a lot of people have
searched for this cache. If I were younger and healthier I would sure take a look. The cache guys around Ely have been on the
lookout for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions