Wisconsin

Z

ZumbroKid

Thanks lex, i also can post some interesting sites in North wisconsin when i get more time. These are out of reach for me due to where i live now. If one goes east of Butternut out on County road F and FF. They will get to the flambeau flowage area. This should be a very unhunted area for older silver coins. Many years fishermen came to the area to rent cabins and fish. The east side of Butternut lake has a farmers field that at one time had a one room school, this building is no longer there.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
There is suppose to be a huge cache hid on the Apostles where robbers buried a large amount of money and it was never recovered.....Lets go ! :)

Z

ZumbroKid

Say Gyspy Heart, question somewhere i believe you told me about two other ghost towns in price county. I wonder if melrue was one of those? Found out folks uncle was born in that one, He served in WW1, so that would be from around 1890's. Also wondering about that old swimming hole off old 8 near cataba. The roads lead down to it on both sides, was that a location of a old town? It might of been an old crossing at one time, i remember there is rock in the water. I believe one can walk across there. You know anything on that spot? Later

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Melrue was one of the locations. Morrisons was the other. Found out this morning that Morrisons was Pennington . Morrison named it Pennington .
History of Pennington
The Soo Line tracks were laid in 1893 and was named Morrison. It wasn't
until after 1896 that Mr. Pennington, president of the Soo Line. came to town. It
was in his honor that Morrison was changed to Pennington.
Also found three more ,Cotton wood and Drscole Spur and LaFont. LaFont was 6 miles east of Prentice where the railroad bridge crosses 8.

Catawba....Hansons Hole off of Moonshine Alley. Great place. Found a copper still /old bottle dump in the woods near there. You used to be able to drive across that place sometime in the fifties according to the old timers . There was quite a settlement in that area from what I understand.
I still am looking for info on a sawmill town 10 miles on County I on the Jump River....VanNedges (sp) store was located there

Z

ZumbroKid

I use to swim in Hanson's Hole, now you'll tell me the fish are unfit to eat. I got told there use to be an old country school near Hanson's hole.

L

Lex

did a little reaserch for yas....

Hanson Hole and Hansons hole got two different hits: The first North off of County Hwy FF on 87th street. Go north untill the pavement ends. about another 1/2 mile. The second is further North between Indian Reservation Road and Old Prairie Road. Heading east on West tippaconoe Lane turns to Old prairie as it jogs North. A mile or so north is a pair of gravel/dirt roads heading east. They both come together in a large U shape with a couple of branches heading further east into the woods. About halfway between the start of the woods and Indian Reservation road is what looks like a creek....

Lafont: Just east or Prentice on Old HWy 8 (Not new highway 8 to the north) follow the RR tracks south to the crossing of another railway. Near tower road and Air park drive. From satalite photos it looks like there where building there once. This is east of Prentice High School just west of Cemetary Road.

Morrison: South of Greenbay at the junction of Deer road and River Road.Draw a straight line south from stark School and a line west from Houser School and right about at their intersection.

Cottonwood: Straight west of Bullhead Lake just across the river where West River Roadturns SouthEast of West River and Hark Road Intersection.

On a different subject....If you know where an old mill is you can make some serious $. About all of the old mills had a pond to soak the logs in. Since not all of the logs floated many sunk to the bottom. The old logs are now worth ALOT of money. I know of a man who bought a 30 acre tract because of the mill pond on it. Once he dredged up the old logs he paid for the land many times over.

Lex

Z

ZumbroKid

Lex, it looks like only one hit is correct. all locations are in a 10 mile or so radius. Nowhere near Green Bay. Hansons Hole in this one is probably local name only.

Z

ZumbroKid

Me and Gyspy were discussing some locations right in Price county. Between Prentice and Cataba. I grew up there, guess she did too. Your post was helpful for the one Ghost town, near the tracks and cemetary.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thanks Lex for the help. If you can give us anything on these locations in Price County ...that would help. I found the LaFont location pretty easily. Trying to find Sanborn maps of this area is next to impossible....

L

Lex

Well I like to help. Looking at a satalite photo there seems to be several interesting areas off of Mail Route Road in that area. There was an old school at the intersection of County Highway K and Hacket Road. A railway is also right there. I bet the kids spent alot of time at the tracks.

Following mail route a bit and it does a double jog to the south. On the second one there are the remains of two roads or driveways that end before the tree line without any house that I could make out. Further south where it heads East-West again the is a Louand road that again ends in an open field. A large clearing is there. Seems like either a large farm or something similar.
Just to the south west of that intersection looks to be a large pond with a couple small beaches.
Then straight north of Louand Road looks to be a very old road in the woods. It looks like it forks as if on the top of a hill.

L

Lex

Yep thats it.

As for historical type schools...wow there are alot nearby! East Hacket, Whitman, Excelsior, Lund, Nokomis, North Fork, Johnston, Meadow Creek, Wildwood, Fairview, Lake 10, Spirit Center, Lake, Rib River, Highland, Fourth Wards ect ect ect...

kcommandos

Oct 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
whites classic idx
try lost treasures mag has some stories about wi bank robberys and other
stories my be close to ya
kcommandos

newtocoinhunting

Jan 16, 2006
Nebraska, USA
gypsyheart said:
Thanks Lex for the help. If you can give us anything on these locations in Price County ...that would help. I found the LaFont location pretty easily. Trying to find Sanborn maps of this area is next to impossible....

Safe to say this thread has probably been abandoned by the original poster, but in case anyone's interested the following towns in Price Co. are available as Digital Sanborn Maps: Ogema, Phillips, Prentice.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
It takes a little digging, but you can turn up many interesting stories of caches and the like by going to rootsweb.com and digging down to find links to archived newspaper articles for a given county.. Same goes for many county and municipality websites.......

Diggem'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread