A CAPTAIN KIDD TREASURE STORY

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Palmer is home to it's share of legends, but one of the most intriguing is that of the Captain Kidd letter found on the property of Samuel Shaw in 1849. Legend has it that two young Shaw men were out hunting rabbits when their dog chased one under a stone ledge. They reached in and found a glass vial tightly sealed with sheet lead and wound in wire. Brought to the house, the bottle had to be broken to be opened, and inside was a roll of paper dated 1700-1, the old method of dating 1701.

The paper was a letter from Robert Kidd and addressed to John Bailey Esq. of New York. The letter stated that Kidd had been captured as a pirate, and was to be sent back to England for trial. Further, Kidd instructed Bailey to go to Conant’s Island in Boston Harbor to find 2 chests "containing from fifteen to twenty thousand pounds sterling, in money, jewels and diamonds." The letter goes on to give specific information on where the chests are located and cautions Bailey to say nothing about the letter, to "keep dark to any but my friends." The courier was instructed to hide the vial if he met with trouble or was taken by Indians, and return for it if he was able to escape.

The discovery of this letter 148 years later caused a major stir in town. The great debate was over whether the letter was genuine and if there really was a treasure buried in Boston Harbor. Samuel Shaw later that year went to Conant’s Island, by then renamed Governor’s Island. By the time Shaw arrived its name was not the only thing that had changed. The shores of the island had eroded and the coastline altered. The area where the chests were to have been buried had been long ago swept away by the tide. Consequently the mystery has never been solved - today the place "where X marks the spot" is covered by Logan Airport. The note today is in the collection of the Connecticut Valley Historical Museum in Springfield.

bob123

Feb 25, 2009
east coast
great story :thumbsup:but I was wondering if you have what the full letter says or just where the treasure was suposidly hidden. :icon_study:

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i just posted what was on the society website on it...if you notice the last sentence it tells where the note/letter is....i like to give research starts, not the whole story.....i may post things like this, or old diaries alluding to treasure, possibly even other things that with proper research one might become lucky.........if i were to post all the info it would change your treasure hunting to treasure retreiving which would take off all the fun countless hours of sitting, searching old records, poring over old maps, etc that make this such a fun hobby........sorry....gldhntr

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
gldhntr said:
i just posted what was on the society website on it...if you notice the last sentence it tells where the note/letter is....i like to give research starts, not the whole story.....i may post things like this, or old diaries alluding to treasure, possibly even other things that with proper research one might become lucky.........if i were to post all the info it would change your treasure hunting to treasure retreiving which would take off all the fun countless hours of sitting, searching old records, poring over old maps, etc that make this such a fun hobby........sorry....gldhntr
Gosh ,Todd ; you have no need to apologize . You freely gave facts and advice and didn't once try to sell a book .

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
i believe the two finders of the note took each other to court over the find. both eventually admitted it to be a hoax. springfield court.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's only one thing more plentiful and bountiful than Kidd's treasures.....and thats the various stories and rumors about what and where it is. But then again, it (whatever it is) is somewhere and ya never know which one is just a tale or if its true... :wink:

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
but if any more info on this subject is known i certainly have interest in it. because kidd most definitely was nearby at one time ,most importantly was when he first returned to long island sound ,located down river ,from the location of the note, on a trail from hartford ct to boston ma , possibly in Palmer mass. i dont believe this note is a hoax , it does need attention as to why these men sued each other in a springfield court , then claim it is a hoax when it was settled. ill see if i can locate a copy of tghis incidant.matt

ray in ny

Jan 21, 2006
southern tier ny
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S CLASSIC III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, but who is Robert Kidd? The notorious alleged pirate Capt. Kidd was William, not Robert. In addition, Capt. Kidd was arrested in July of 1699, and was in jail in Boston until March 1700, when he was transported to England for trial. He was imprisoned in England continuously until hanged in May, 1701.
The Shaw story is interesting, but almost certainly fake.

tony69

Greenie
Feb 5, 2009
SIR, It seens strange to me why everybody who is in to william kidd tries to find out where his treasure is,they talk of this and that and when it comes to some one saying they know his charts work , nothing , not a word not a comment out of them .Well for 30 years i have looked at the charts and have at long last found out how they work and they do, oh yes i have gone the wrong way like most, and on finding how they work but no one and i meen no one will help , all goes quite,is it becouse they think the person is nuts, may be ,well teh secret will die with me ,good luck to you all tony

tony69

Greenie
Feb 5, 2009
Sir , if i did tell you what would you do [nothing ] what could you do nothing, with out a lot of money there is not a lot anyone can do ,Yes i do know and have worked out how the charts work I can prove this to anyone that I'm not a waist of time .but will any one listen no so the secret will die with me, the funny thing is i do not have anyone to leave this knowledge to oh well that's life tony

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antonio, Antonio,
The charts are your life’s work my friend, please do not let such an important achievement go unnoticed! You have racked your brain and given up so much sleep, it is not fitting for such an endeavor to be locked away again, the enlightenment of years of research not getting the attention it well deserves! We, the readers of this forum envy your hard work and would do our best to encourage you and sustain you with applause as you reach the mark! The charts, the charts! They must be placed into safe keeping for the generations to come who will diligently search if we are not so fortunate as to find the treasure. Antonio, you have persevered where many have shrugged and given up, that should not be for naught. It is a problem of money to gain the treasure, as most that are worth anything are. So our new friend, I would request you send someone of this forum who you feel is genuine, a copy of the charts with full explanations of their workings and your discoveries. This person should be instructed not to reveal the exact location, but to lead others by the written word to the places you have so diligently researched, so they too may enjoy the learning that takes place. They will then appreciate your work, which will not be in vane! But will live on in “the legend of Antonio’s Solutions”! Or similar title you will name your research. Some person in the future may well have access to the funds that are deemed necessary to recover the hoard and they will rejoice and give you credit for the help as they would not have been able to do it without you and your charts! Please Antonio, do not waste the work!

tony69

Greenie
Feb 5, 2009
SIR the charts are quite comman to find, some people in my country say the maps are some kind of joke ,that's only because they do not have the brains ,or the time, to work the charts out. and some even say they know, and when you ask them? well it is just a guess really and a guess is not good enough.you must be sure as i am ,check things ,you can make things be what they are not no matter what treasure you are tracking down .When some one comes up with the money to get the treasure you must prove to them you are right ,and the only way to do that is check one and one make two oh yes i have gone the wrong way meny times but keep, ed at it ,and there is no shadow of doubt i have found Kidd's treasure [on paper that is] and it would be pointless telling the world how they work with out getting something back myself. So the answer is to sell what i know or to let it lie unfound, as it will.I have now put away my research and i must say Kidd was cleaver, so i will leave you with this clue [what is is,nt and what is is and only the wise will see] if i can be of any help just ask tony

tony69

Greenie
Feb 5, 2009
ray in ny said:
Okay, but who is Robert Kidd? The notorious alleged pirate Capt. Kidd was William, not Robert. In addition, Capt. Kidd was arrested in July of 1699, and was in jail in Boston until March 1700, when he was transported to England for trial. He was imprisoned in England continuously until hanged in May, 1701.
The Shaw story is interesting, but almost certainly fake.
All i can say to you my friend is you have a lot to learn and your comments are not constructive ,try learning the truth .There are many people who are knowledgeable on Kidd in this world try asking them .There are many clowns who talk about Kidd and clam to know this and that about him only to boost the own ego or to make themself look good [i have meet them ] they clam they are experts but know nothing .Like the good people on this site they work hard ,look for a treasure ,research it, and track it down ,they become experts in that field .so ask an expert as these good people are, and that may i say takes years

ray in ny

Jan 21, 2006
southern tier ny
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S CLASSIC III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whaaaa? Can someone be kind enough to explain to me what in the heck this guy is saying--I can't make head nor tail out of it.

tony69

Greenie
Feb 5, 2009
ray in ny said:
Whaaaa? Can someone be kind enough to explain to me what in the heck this guy is saying--I can't make head nor tail out of it.true like how could work ouy kidds charts

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
The toughest part of researching and actually finding treasure is sifting thru all the nonsense. Our friend Tony here is just adding more layers of nonsense for people to sift thru. You would be better off ignoring him. If anyone here with half a brain knew what he claims to know we would be sitting on a beach with an umbrella drink enjoying our riches instead of posting nonsense on a website.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony,

Please do not be affected by the naysayers! Please tell us your story about how you got interested, what you did to investigate, and what you found that led you to the location of the treasure(you don't have to tell us where it is...just tell us YOUR story). Please include how much it would take to recover the treasure!

Thank you!

tony69

Greenie
Feb 5, 2009
Curtis said:
Tony,

Please do not be affected by the naysayers! Please tell us your story about how you got interested, what you did to investigate, and what you found that led you to the location of the treasure(you don't have to tell us where it is...just tell us YOUR story). Please include how much it would take to recover the treasure!
palmer never did say he fkeked the charts seeing as one of them was wrote on the back of a leagle paper that belonged to his wife. the naysayer do not bother me they do not know , you will need an original chart to find the treasure and they do not have it , i do, it would cost a lot of money to get
Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread